Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Ultra Long Haul  (Read 1561 times)

Offline mattbailey

• Members
Ultra Long Haul
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
Has anyone managed to make even a reasonable profit on stupidly long routes (ie 8500+nm) ? I'm using the 777-200LR just because I can, but am thinking that a A333 with a stopover might have been the answer.  Although my route image isnt yet 100.

In any event I have some marketing bragging rights!

GEnx

• Former member
Re: Ultra Long Haul
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:24:26 AM »
The only thing I could think of is a company owned B777-200LR, or if the demand permits it, an A380-800. Anything else would perform quite poorly as far as I know.

Offline mtnlion

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »
ULH is not worth it unless you have tons of money to spend. In earlier game worlds I've had some ULH flights with A340-500 and they made only ~400 000$/week even though I owned the planes. In this game world I've some routes that are over 7000nm and operated by 77W and I can reveal that they are not profitable routes. IMHO the biggest money is in routes that are 3000-3500nm.

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »
Make sure to combine that ULH with lots of medium hauls, or you'll end up losing money.
In MT3 I did have something like 20 A345 and 7 B77L exclusively for ULH. Obviously thy were very poor performers, but I needed them for competition war. And I had some money...

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »
ULH is not worth it unless you have tons of money to spend. In earlier game worlds I've had some ULH flights with A340-500 and they made only ~400 000$/week even though I owned the planes. In this game world I've some routes that are over 7000nm and operated by 77W and I can reveal that they are not profitable routes. IMHO the biggest money is in routes that are 3000-3500nm.

Totally Agree with this,( maybe SAMI needs to tweak the game engine for ULH routes?) but as it stands they are not really worth doing, I have a couple (not even ULH really) of around 6000NM and they break even at best thats why I have them on some of my 7 day rotation fleet so shorter routes keep the aircraft highly profitable and thats with fuel as it stands now should it hit any higher than say $900 again, they'll probably start making a slight loss again.

ksliu9

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 05:45:18 AM »
Totally Agree with this,( maybe SAMI needs to tweak the game engine for ULH routes?) but as it stands they are not really worth doing, I have a couple (not even ULH really) of around 6000NM and they break even at best thats why I have them on some of my 7 day rotation fleet so shorter routes keep the aircraft highly profitable and thats with fuel as it stands now should it hit any higher than say $900 again, they'll probably start making a slight loss again.

That's the reality. In the real world, you will see the ULH cannot make any money at all.  SQ has the longest pax route, from Singapore - New York. Before they use A343-500 for a two class config. Due to the high oil price a few years ago, they change to all biz class. This maybe the only way to make money for ULH.  Other airlines, e.g. TG, cut the ULH (Bangkok-New York) as there is not enough biz pax for this route.

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »
Shame really as there are some good ULH demand routes but nobody wants to flythem as they dont make money (unless your flying from LHR of course!)  :-\

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »
Can we make one of these sticky to the top? An ultra long haul thread comes up every 2 weeks at least.
No replacement for displacement

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 06:25:55 PM »
I'll add this point to my FAQ.

LostInBKK

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 11:19:01 PM »
That's the reality. In the real world, you will see the ULH cannot make any money at all.  SQ has the longest pax route, from Singapore - New York. Before they use A343-500 for a two class config. Due to the high oil price a few years ago, they change to all biz class. This maybe the only way to make money for ULH.  Other airlines, e.g. TG, cut the ULH (Bangkok-New York) as there is not enough biz pax for this route.

The cutting of the TG route really p***ed me off as I was due to go on 2 months after it was cut >:(
They still have BKK-LAX thou.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 02:25:45 AM »
Has anyone managed to make even a reasonable profit on stupidly long routes (ie 8500+nm) ? I'm using the 777-200LR just because I can, but am thinking that a A333 with a stopover might have been the answer.  Although my route image isnt yet 100.

In any event I have some marketing bragging rights!

I am in the middle of similar experiment.  767-400ER with a stopover.  My RI is still too low to really tell....

Offline mattbailey

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 02:55:14 PM »
Well even with advertising and 100 full RI (CI only 80) but being the only provider I was unable to turn a profit on TXL-AKL - and even if they were owned jets they would have still made a loss!

All passengers now turfed out, tickets cancelled and backpacks issued instead!!!

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »
Well even with advertising and 100 full RI (CI only 80) but being the only provider I was unable to turn a profit on TXL-AKL - and even if they were owned jets they would have still made a loss!

All passengers now turfed out, tickets cancelled and backpacks issued instead!!!

Well, if you have a profitable network that can overcome the losses from that route and you want to provide "connectivity" to your passengers, there's no problem doing that flight. The thing is that if you are stopping from adding flights to shorter distances with unmet demand instead, you will end up losing money for no reaso at all.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »
Well, if you have a profitable network that can overcome the losses from that route and you want to provide "connectivity" to your passengers, there's no problem doing that flight.

Except - there is no connectivity in current version of AWS.

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 09:34:34 PM »
Except - there is no connectivity in current version of AWS.

I did it in MT3 for the sake of it. If there's nothing more to do....

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.