Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A380 clips CRJ7 at JFK  (Read 2187 times)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
Re: A380 clips CRJ7 at JFK
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »
I bet the empennage needs replacement at worst... plus the tires and gear assembly will need to be checked as they aren't designed to go that way.

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »
Yeah, I wonder how many landings that stress is equivalent to.

Does the aircraft have to be scrapped?

I know planes are built to handle vertical stresses, but is the structure of the CRJ now compromised because of the hard impact?
it cant be compared to landings. Thats like hitting a parked car and asking how many miles was that damage equivalent to...

I predict it will see service again, however it is a CJR after all so might be scraped, just depends on how old it is and how many cycles its flown and what all damage is found

Damage that is likely to have occured or has shown includes:
* A380 wingtip fence part in the horizontal stablizer
* Right tip struck the ground while spinning
* possible rear pressure bulkhead rupture
* possible fuselage twist
* its possible that the vertical tail's mounting brackets or bolts could have fractures.
* possible damage to right landing gear (aircraft was tipped and swung completely onto the right gear. 

most of the damage to the CRJ will be beneath the surface i think. But either way, it will recieve a very heavy and detailed inspection before any action is taken with it.

watching the video again, the following happened. The CRJ tipped over onto the right landing gear mains while the horizontal stablizer road up the wingtip fence of the A380. Once the right wing struck the ground, the Horizontal stablizer could not ride up any further and the aircraft spun nearly 90 degrees until upper section of the wingtip fence broke off imbedded in the Horizontal Stablizer and the aircraft went back to being on all gear assemblies. It looks like the A380 to me was going ~10kts at the time. Based on how fast the plane stopped, it had to have been a pretty hard hit for them to feel it. I honestly wouldnt have been supprised to see that they kept going not even knowing they hit the plane.

Online spiff23

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 04:43:22 AM »
all and all, I find that video to be so terrifying as a frequent pax and aviation buff and just so glad this didn't turn into a USAir 1493/skywest 5569 accident. 

perhaps showing my age, but on the off-topic of incidents and terrifying aviation accidents/airplanes -- is the airwaysim picture for the Dc10-10 a white out of one of the THY Dc-10s? (i.e. TC-JAV / THY 981)  Having run a bunch 0f Dc-10-10s in DOTM for the first time  --I've wanted to ask as the pic really looks like one of the 3 THY Dc-10-10s.  (have had misfortune of [very bad] with AA191 and [good outcomes] ua 232 personal connections to pax//pax/crew on both that have always got me "going" about dc10s...not to mention the CO/AF connection mentioned here...beautiful airplane, but... :-[  Last Nine Minutes is a terrifying book for anyone that wants to read about the terror of an out of control Dc-1o.  At least AA191 was done in 30 seconds...likey only 10  seconds before folks realized the uncontrolled "turn" was really the end.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.