Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Historical correctness  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Jeigh Ehmm

• Members
Historical correctness
« on: April 11, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »
Hello everyone,

I want to point out that I truly enjoy the game so far, do wish there were other used planes than DC-3's available though....was hoping for more convair 240/340....

Just wondering if in the future it would be possible to have the game reflect more the era historically, for example there was no business class back then, first class was actually just a big seat, no sleeper seats, it was all pretty standard, etc.

Airline alliances did not exist back then, no frequent flyer points... No open skies

It would be fun to actually have to apply for routes to like the Civil aviation bureau that existed in the U.S. back then.  be able to set up a crown corporation with limitless funds (1 per country except the us)... Only 4-5 airlines allowed to fly internationally from the US like the old days with Pan Am, TWA and Northwest orient...

Another option that would be interesting would be to be able to develop our on board products ie: meals, movies to be able to compare our levels of service with other airlines, because back then service was what made or broke an airline...

What do you guys think???

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
Re: Historical correctness
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:33:29 PM »
Which four airlines should, besides of mine, be allowed to fly international?

;)

I don't think AWS should be a game where we play the historical events. Instead it should give us a historical correct starting point (but without limitations in seats etc.) and original aircraft, but we - the airlines - should develope the demand and the airports. Take Atlanta - only such a big airport because there's a very big hub. Instead smaller airports with big airlines in AWS won't expand which is much more unrealistic and destroys much more fun.

Offline CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
for example there was no business class back then, first class was actually just a big seat, no sleeper seats, it was all pretty standard, etc.

Not true.  There were very comfortable cabin arrangements particularly on long-haul routes ... see here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1946-02-21_New_Airliner.ogv

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »
He is mainly right.  There was first class and economy.  Business class is more of a current creation

Offline Jeigh Ehmm

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:16:22 PM »
Once the jet age hit, besides first class lounges on some aircraft (that were removed when the oil crisis hit in 1973, the seats became all quite standard...But I agree that in the age of the flying boats and stratocruiser there were very elaborate amenities in first class. 

Thanks for the link btw!

Branmuffin

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »
Hello everyone,

I want to point out that I truly enjoy the game so far, do wish there were other used planes than DC-3's available though....was hoping for more convair 240/340....
Keep checking back in the used market.  Global statistics shows just over 1000 Convairs in storage - they'll slowly trickle into the used market over time as lessors make them airworthy.

Just wondering if in the future it would be possible to have the game reflect more the era historically, for example there was no business class back then, first class was actually just a big seat, no sleeper seats, it was all pretty standard, etc.

This is a good point - I'm not sure how (or if) Sami took this into account with regard to the demand models for this scenario.  However, I see no gameplay benefit to restricting the possibilities..?

Airline alliances did not exist back then, no frequent flyer points... No open skies

Alliances are one of the few ways to build and maintain a sense of community in AWS, even if they aren't necessarily historically accurate.  Without them the game would be much more boring for a lot of people. :)
It would be fun to actually have to apply for routes to like the Civil aviation bureau that existed in the U.S. back then.  be able to set up a crown corporation with limitless funds (1 per country except the us)... Only 4-5 airlines allowed to fly internationally from the US like the old days with Pan Am, TWA and Northwest orient...

Now that would be... interesting... in a game of 300 players, lol. ???

Another option that would be interesting would be to be able to develop our on board products ie: meals, movies to be able to compare our levels of service with other airlines, because back then service was what made or broke an airline...

This has been suggested many times before (dig through the feature request archives and you'll find it) and I think the official answer was 'yes', but not until the next major release (don't quote me on that, though).

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 07:11:12 PM »
Regulation will not be implemented as it is impossible to determine which player is allowed to fly certain routes and who is not.

For the travel classes, today's business is basically that day's first class .. well, roughly. But changing that isn't possible. But implementing the "seat type inventions" is possible, like with marketing.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.