Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: D.H.86/D.H.86A pilots/flight crew - and a related point  (Read 3484 times)

Offline ACDennison

• Members
D.H.86/D.H.86A pilots/flight crew - and a related point
« on: March 28, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »
A very minor point - the D.H.86 only required one pilot, the D.H.86A required two.  As the in-game model requires two pilots, I would assume it should be a D.H. 86A, although I believe the photo is of an original (one-pilot) D.H.86

On a related point, I have for a while thought the game should re-term pilots 'flightcrew', as across several game worlds there are types requiring as many as 5 pilots, who in reality are a mix of pilots, flight engineers, radio operators and other flightdeck personel.

Interestingly, if we make a habit of including these extra flightdeck personel, many of the older aircraft in this world (including my above D.H.86) should have an extra 'pliot', as most aircraft of the time had a wireless operator.  In which case, the D.H.86 would have two 'pilots' (making the game correct at the moment, but missuing 'pilot' as detailled above), and a D.H.86A would have three 'pilots'.

Generally the whole area is a bit ambigous - do all models in game include all flightdeck personel as 'pilots'?  If so, they should be renamed 'flightcrew', and all types updated with the correct numbers.

Ilyushin

• Former member
Re: D.H.86/D.H.86A pilots/flight crew - and a related point
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »
I believe a two-man crew is the minimum on a commercial flight.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:36:43 PM »
I believe a two-man crew is the minimum on a commercial flight.

These rules from nowadays may not have applied back in the infancy of aviation - if you look in this current time frame of Post WWII (1950s).
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Name_Omitted

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:43:57 PM »
These rules from nowadays may not have applied back in the infancy of aviation - if you look in this current time frame of Post WWII (1950s).

Going by what the rules WERE gets very tricky.  How do we model airline regulation?  This is an economic engine here, if you want to go by what the rules WERE, you really need a political engine in the game.  According to "The Alaska Airlines Story," and I am sorry, I read it way to long ago to give a proper citation, Pan American sued Alaska Airlines for providing first class lunch in coach, thereby giving too much incentive for people to fly Alaska Air, in violation of regulation. 

At some point, without designing a whole new game for regulated airlines, we've got to just assume that we are not playing by the same rules the real world played by.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »
Sure but isn't airline regulation quite separate altogether from crew numbers which is more to do with safety and complexity of aircraft operation?
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 02:00:06 AM »
Yes, you are correct. Regulation has got to do with "who is allowed to operate a certain route" etc. Those will not be modeled here as AWS will be a free competition environment basically, and modeling the regulated era is extremely difficult.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.