Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Which is better??  (Read 646 times)

• Former member
Which is better??
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »
So I have two A319-100 that are both running a nice profit and I have one CRJ200 that is also running a profit.  I want to expand but I am unsure what I should do next.  Should I look to replace the CRJ with an A319 soon?  The lease expires in 2006 and I have selected not to renew.

What if I went ahead and returned the aircraft?  Could I move those routes to a A319 or adjust them, etc?  I have no loans and I am making a profit - but my margins are really low and someone said it was due to me using the CRJ.

Any help is appreciated!!

• Former member
Re: Which is better??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:32:59 PM »
CRJ-200 is acceptable only if you own it. It is not really profitable, why? Here is the answer: 360k USD / month to carry 52 pax compact!! As an experiment I have once operated a fleet of circa 100 CRJs and I can assure you I wouldn't have survived only with them (had other means like proper planes on proper routes).

While CRJ-900 might be the best of that family so far on this game world (gotta wait for CRJ-1000), CRJ-200 is definitely not the way to go. A319/320/321 will give you more flexibility to operate short, medium and some long-haul while keeping just 1 type, the question is: will you be able to get them (check backlog for new orders). If you need a small plane for regional 50-70 pax routes get the Antonov An-140, it is cheap and you don't have to wait years to get hold of it! Mind that it might not be worth to fly > 1000nm routes only to carry 50 pax, so keep it within that range!

Returning a leased aircraft will cost you a variable fee. You can move routes between planes, but as the turn-around times are slightly different, if you move from A319 to CRJ-200 you might start having some delays or cancellations as schedule gets tighter.

Any questions just let me know. Good luck! :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 12:03:35 AM by filipebravo »

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:00:48 AM »
Or ATR, it has a laughably short production line right now.
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 04:29:02 AM »
As a previous posted stated, its okay to run CRJs if you OWN the aircraft. Bad idea if you lease it.

It may SHOW that your CRJ is making profit. But that only routes leasing fees, route cost, fuel. But I'm assuming your CRJ is making maybe $200,000 per week or less. Reality is its not sustainable if you keep increasing your CRJs. Your profits will still be razor thin.

While this is an EXTREME good to show how your staff cost will exponentially sky rocket

Airline A: 1 Aircraft-A380
# of Pilots: 2
#of Pax: 853(high density)
# of A Checks per week: 1
This airline only has ONE aircraft. Hires 2 pilots

Airline B: 15 Aircraft CRJ-200
# of Pilots: 30
# of Pax: 50(high density)x15planes= 750 pax
# of A Checks per week: 15(aka, maintenance staff goes up)
This airline has 15 AIRCRAFT!! But already has 30 pilots! More maintenance workers.

As you see, the airline with 15 Aircraft is actually worse off and paying A LOT or staff than that airline operating just 1 aircraft.

In terms of your growth, you are based out of CLT. Currently you don't have major competitors there which is good. So as of right now, its hard to get aircraft and most popular models will take FOREVER to get.

I'm sure you don't want to wait 4-5 years to get an A320 or a B737.

My personally suggestion for you at this point is getting the B717. Current wait time is nothing. You can have your first aircraft in 3-5months. Use the B717 to replace your CRJ routes. Launch your B717s on some quick 200-400NM routes 4-5times daily. You'll have a cash cow. Do not send them to max range though, you don't want to go transcon with the B717. But it will give you enough capital to invest in other aircraft.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.