Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Making money with the ERJ and CRJ-200, possible?  (Read 7595 times)

flightsimer

• Former member
Re: Making money with the ERJ and CRJ-200, possible?
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 02:57:17 AM »
how are the CRJ-700's and 900's doing right now?  fuel had just spiked to nearly $1000... im thinking about using them for ~700-1200nm routes that would only support a daily flight.

Im also considering the E jets instead since that would also allow me to have a larger pax capacity range with one family.

But either way, i want to serve these 700-1200nm routes that only have enough demand for a daily flight. Otherwise, ill send a 737-300 or 400 on it.

BTW the CRJ/E-jets would be my third type. Operating 737's and ATR's now.

Offline SuperVC10

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 07:57:08 AM »
It depends how many of these routes you have, you will need a fleet of at least 6-8 CRJ's all operating at a profit just to recoup your costs for the extra type. I am running 8 CRJ-705 aircraft, all with pretty good LF. One of these aircraft is generally not profitable due to competition on the route, and another is load restricted due to the long range. The others make reasonable money, but the ATR's are more profitable. During the recent fuel spike the CRJ fleet as a whole was making a small loss, so the operation is pretty marginal.

It may make more sense to use a 737 as you already have the type and accept the lower load factors if you only have a few of these long thin routes, at least until you have the routes established. The economics of the CRJ-900 may be better, but the runway requirement at London City makes them impractical to operate over longer distances.

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »
It depends how many of these routes you have, you will need a fleet of at least 6-8 CRJ's all operating at a profit just to recoup your costs for the extra type. I am running 8 CRJ-705 aircraft, all with pretty good LF. One of these aircraft is generally not profitable due to competition on the route, and another is load restricted due to the long range. The others make reasonable money, but the ATR's are more profitable. During the recent fuel spike the CRJ fleet as a whole was making a small loss, so the operation is pretty marginal.

It may make more sense to use a 737 as you already have the type and accept the lower load factors if you only have a few of these long thin routes, at least until you have the routes established. The economics of the CRJ-900 may be better, but the runway requirement at London City makes them impractical to operate over longer distances.
I think i will be able to get at least 10-15 of which ever type i end up getting. Im liking the E-jets more  though because i can have a 70-105 pasx seating range while the CRJ's are either 68 or 80 seats but the Ejets are a little more fuel thirsty.

Offline Jetsetter

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »
I have 16 CRJ-700ER's and 18 CRJ-200ER's in the fleet. The 700's are at a minimum of three rotations a day and bringing in between 20,000 to 120,000 on the three rotation aircraft, with a maximum of 220,000 on a 6 rotation aircraft. Geographically, I'm in the middle of nowhere, meaning my utilization on most aircraft will peak at 3 rotations. When we had the fuel spike a few days ago, I saw the margins drastically decrease, making only about 20,000 to a loss for most aircraft.

The CRJ-200's are worse. Some of them are already on really crappy distant routes, simply because I'm running out of dots to connect while waiting for the rest of my Airbii. I had almost a full screen of red on the -200's during the fuel spike. I'll be replacing them with 700's in the future once I've gotten my A32X routes sorted, and hopefully I've underserved the market enough to make money on the extra passengers.

I've noticed -200's start to fall flat on their face at around 700NM segment lengths, and CRJ-700's around 900NM. I haven't bothered with the LR options because if I'm flying a CRJ-700 1500 miles, I can only schedule two flights a day, and I will run very narrow margins.

flyboy842

• Former member
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
Are the E145/170/195 in the same family?

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »
Are the E145/170/195 in the same family?

The E135/140/145 is one family and the E170/175/190/195 is another family.

flyboy842

• Former member
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »
The E135/140/145 is one family and the E170/175/190/195 is another family.

Thanks Daveos... I am getting clobbered by a much bigger competitor who has just decided to open a base in my city (YEG) and he is using E jet against my MD80. He is definitely trying to Bankrupt me.. My barely 2 month old airline is getting crushed soon.. So I need to take drastic action..  I am determined as a newbie to make my Airline work in MTM.. I am taking a big risk to play in this game, against some of your advice, but hey, best way to learn is to sink or swim. :), so I am hanging on... until the bank closes me :)

JDuff

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 05:42:29 PM »
Saab 2000s are a good bet for your problem. Turboprop efficiency, same seating as your Dash-8s, and near jetlike speed.

badlt58

• Former member
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 05:25:51 AM »
I am a HUGE fan of Saabs. They burn a little more but they are so fast that on less dense routes its allowed me to move some E-jets to higher demand destinations. I currently have a Saab turning 6 seperate trips a day but no more than 450NM from home base.

The problem is they are nearly impossible to find! I bought an 18 year old one and the maintnenace is expensive. But there simply is no plane in its class that can compete with its speed, burn, turn around time, and capacity. I used them in another world and they were pretty good.

Online ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 12:30:50 AM »
I am a HUGE fan of Saabs. They burn a little more but they are so fast that on less dense routes its allowed me to move some E-jets to higher demand destinations. I currently have a Saab turning 6 seperate trips a day but no more than 450NM from home base.

The problem is they are nearly impossible to find! I bought an 18 year old one and the maintnenace is expensive. But there simply is no plane in its class that can compete with its speed, burn, turn around time, and capacity. I used them in another world and they were pretty good.

I agree they are awesome, and also look good to me! But if you feel that is becoming old, please try the Q400! While more expensive and just a tad slower (if you can call the Q400 any slower!), it has better turnaround (you can squeeze it to 40min, so the speed difference is nonexistent), and is available new and used.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.