Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Taiwan - China pax demand  (Read 1502 times)

cht7520

• Former member
Taiwan - China pax demand
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:35:53 AM »
I know that currently the pax demand for Taiwan - China is zero for obvious reasons, but does anyone know if that would change during the game? Eg. pax demand goes back to whatever level it should be after 2008/2009 (if I survive that long).

Thanks

altmants

• Former member
Re: Taiwan - China pax demand
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:41:09 AM »
Demand from Taiwan and China are high, but everyone has to go through Hong Kong(which is technically part of China)

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:44:05 AM »
This is the demand for PEK-TPE in 2019, so I assume it does :)

cht7520

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:53:36 AM »
Thanks  :D

Offline mtnlion

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »
Taiwan - mainland China is actually very high demand market in real life. Lots of flights to secondary cities from both Taipei and Kaohsiung. Many of those flights are even operated by wide-bodies. I hope Sami has taken this into account.  ;D (I know it's not modeled but one can wish )

Offline Minto Typhoon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 06:30:51 PM »

It is modeled, but this traffic didn't start till quite recently, so correctly omitted from the game.  Prior to this all traffic flew via HKG, resulting in HKG TPE being the busiest international route in the world.

Branmuffin

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 04:53:31 AM »
Prior to this all traffic flew via HKG, resulting in HKG TPE being the busiest international route in the world.

Why was that? (pardon my ignorance :-[)

Offline mtnlion

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 05:20:55 AM »
Why was that? (pardon my ignorance :-[)
Because People's Republic of China doesn't recognize Republic of China's (Taiwan)  independence their relations have been 'cold' for a long time.

One reason that I know why they had to fly through HKG was that China did not want Taiwan-China flights to be called international flights. Anyway, like earlier said, the market for direct flights is huge and maybe that's why the flights are now allowed.

Online type45

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »
at some time ago, PRC(China) even did not allow national carriers serve PRC and ROC(Taiwan) at the same time, so there are a lot of "Asia" airways/airlines when those carriers want to serve Taiwan, like British Asia, Qantas Asia , KLM Asia and Japan Asia Airways. Some of them are still running, usually using the call sign and planes of their parents company directly. Also China Airline (CI/CAL, ROC/Taiwan's flag carrier) could not go to Europe as their old livery carry ROC flag. This lead to the set up of Mandarin Airlines(AE/MDA), whose a "private" airline and avoid any political problems when serving Europe. The flags are still important issues, CI changed their livery before 1997 so that no political problem would be created by the ROC flag livery after the hand over of HKG from UK to PRC. Also Air China (CA/CCA, PRC/China's flag carrier) removed PRC flag on some planes or just send those have special liveries to Taiwan flights in order to avoid problems after direct flight begin.

I've to say this benefit HKG a lot, although not good for people at both China and Taiwan. Even now CI own 10% market shares on pax. number at HKG, and giving the golden chance to let CX+KA become one of the leading airline groups in East Asia.

GEnx

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 02:28:16 PM »
This is also why KLM introduced "KLM Asia", so that they could operate flights out of Taiwan without compromising traffic rights to and from China (the logo did not have the crown, and the aircraft did not fly under the Dutch flag).

Offline Minto Typhoon

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 02:50:25 PM »
And why most Europe - Taiwan flights operate via BKK.

altmants

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 03:32:17 AM »
etherealsky,

Relations between Taiwan(republic of china) and China(People's republic of china) were not good and thus they did not have flights between each country.

The reason why the flights could go through Hong Kong is because Hong Kong was at the time part of the UK and thus British Territory. Not only that, basically all trade between the two went through Hong Kong including stock exchanges between the two countries.

It turned the British Colony of Hong Kong to be very well off and in much better condition than China itself. Which is why despite Hong Kong is NOW part of Chinia, it is a first world citystate while Chinia is still 2nd/3rd world status.

On top of that, Macau was also used to tunnel Taiwan/Chinia traffic as Macau was territory of Portugal.

-Altman

Offline Minto Typhoon

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 08:09:51 AM »

China 3rd world? 

Branmuffin

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 03:53:19 PM »
Because People's Republic of China doesn't recognize Republic of China's (Taiwan)  independence their relations have been 'cold' for a long time.

I knew that much; surprising, though, that it seems to be more of a 'pride issue' even though China surely would have seen a greater economic benefit had they simply allowed direct flights?  Ugh, politics cause so much complication in real life...  ???

altmants

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
etherealsky,

Just like how if you want to fly to Cuba from the United States, You have to connect somewhere in Mexico or Canada since the US does not allow flights to Cuba.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.