Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: do passengers dislike Russian or Chinese designs  (Read 1755 times)

maumausi

• Former member
do passengers dislike Russian or Chinese designs
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »
I know the age and condition of an aircraft, plus it's seating comfort has an impact on which airline passengers choose to travel on.

Outside of this though, does anybody know whether the game model has any built in bias or preference for Russian or Chinese manufactured planes? Given the dearth of 737's and F28 I'm quite tempted by other types, although for a few years until I can hopefully start buying/leasing new aircraft. But I won't touch them if the game model puts some handicap against them..

Any info much appreciated,

Simon

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: do passengers dislike Russian or Chinese designs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:12:24 AM »
Each plane type has a certain "image factor" built in..  older/smaller/"unreliable" popular image makes it lower .. etc.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »
Oh no, I feel a Western vs Soviet bash thread is brewing.

Offline TK1244

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:25:39 PM »
If so, it would be unrealistic. Most passengers don't know the differences between A, B, Tu, An, Il, BAe etc. I know plenty of people who think the BAe146/Avro RJ are "Russian made", just because the plane has four engines and high mounted wings, which is mostly seen at Antonov planes.

Oh no, I feel a Western vs Soviet bash thread is brewing.
Your feelings are wrong my friend ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:30:17 PM by TK1244 »
TK Regional

Offline Pilot Oatmeal

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »
haha i know I was speaking to this guy on a flight from manchester to geneva, and it was a BAe 146 this guy i was sitting next to was like, i didnt know these russian planes were so quiet!.. i was ...oh here we go LOL! ;D

Offline MidlandDeltic

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
haha i know I was speaking to this guy on a flight from manchester to geneva, and it was a BAe 146 this guy i was sitting next to was like, i didnt know these russian planes were so quiet!.. i was ...oh here we go LOL! ;D

He obviously hadn't read the safety card then....  :o

Offline TK1244

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:43:19 PM »
He obviously hadn't read the safety card then....  :o
Maybe he though that BAe146= Beriev Aerospace 146 :P
TK Regional

Offline mtnlion

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »
I'm quite sure that most of the people actually know when the plane is western and when Russian made. And besides many people still wouldn't fly Russian airline just because they think that Russian airlines are still operating Tupolevs and Ils etc. So IMO there should be even more value to the "image" of a/c types. F.e. when Concorde was still flying, people were willing to pay a lot of extra just to be able to say they have flown Concorde.
Even today some airlines are reporting that A380 flights are more full than they were before or than the same flights operated by B777 are.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:55:17 PM »

When he says he didn't know they were so quiet, you tell him that's because they need to turn the engines off for 20 minutes every hour. My only bad experience in a plane was in a generic small one, the pilot had said he had various warning lights that shouldn't be on, so 'Everybody out now'. Good thing we were all planning to skydive anyway.  :laugh:

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »
Yes.... and One Japanese LCC just bought 4 A380's

maumausi

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 06:26:59 PM »
is there a way to find out an airliners image? Is the image the same for all continents, what I mean by this is that Russians might like Russian planes whereas American passengers would be biased against them, same with the Xian a Chinese make..

Simon

Ilyushin

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 06:32:15 PM »
is there a way to find out an airliners image? Is the image the same for all continents, what I mean by this is that Russians might like Russian planes whereas American passengers would be biased against them, same with the Xian a Chinese make..

Simon

There is no aircraft image for origin of aircraft in AWS, American pax do not mind flying on Tupolev aircraft neither Xian aircraft.

Ilyushin

MattDell

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
There is no aircraft image for origin of aircraft in AWS, American pax do not mind flying on Tupolev aircraft neither Xian aircraft.

Ilyushin

Apparently they do.  Post #2 by Sami says so.

Pike

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 07:33:39 PM »

Ilyushin

Well, now THAT's not very realistic now is it?  ;D ;D ;D

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 07:42:40 PM »
Even in real life most Russian aircraft, at least, at one time, were considered unreliable, used too much fuel, spent too much time on the ground for turn around, etc...so AWS does not include this image, but thats the way it really was in the real world at one time, and some players and aviation enthusiasts remember that.

Ilyushin

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 07:45:49 PM »
Apparently they do.  Post #2 by Sami says so.

Sami did not include the origin of aircraft. And by my experience, they don't care. ;)

Well, now THAT's not very realistic now is it?  ;D ;D ;D

Nope, but how would you model such a feature? You can't tell how people exactly think of those aircraft. ;D A simple '50% drop in LF if plane X is used in X area' would not work, I think...

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 07:50:25 PM »
P.S. In AWS, you have the same chance of having a successful airline with soviet or chinese aircraft, but they're actual fuel consumptions and a few other true statistics are included in the aircraft descriptions. I would suggest you read a full description of each, perhaps comparing a Boeing 727-200 to a Tupolev TU-154 and notice the differences in qualities each plane type possesses. Other players ADORE their soviet aircraft in AWS as well. I had a fleet of YAK-42's in one game over a year ago and the airline did runs up and down the east coast of U.S. and it did very well. It went bankrupt because I over extended myself.  ::)

Offline TK1244

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
Even in real life most Russian aircraft, at least, at one time, were considered unreliable, used too much fuel, spent too much time on the ground for turn around, etc...so AWS does not include this image, but thats the way it really was in the real world at one time, and some players and aviation enthusiasts remember that.
You really think passengers care of how much fuel a plane uses? How much time it is on the ground for turn around? Yes, for an airline management, this makes a huge differences in profit, but a passenger only wants to fly from A to B. So this WASN'T the way it was in real life for passengers. If e.g. United Airlines suddenly decides to buy Ilyushin Il-96 planes, fitted with the same interior and maintained as the rest of their fleet, no passengers will run away from the plane ;)
TK Regional

Ilyushin

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 07:55:33 PM »

If e.g. United Airlines suddenly decides to buy Ilyushin Il-96 planes, fitted with the same interior and maintained as the rest of their fleet, no passengers will run away from the plane ;)

"Hey, did UA buy Airbus long haul aircraft?" ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:58:52 PM by Ilyushin »

Offline JonesyUK

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 08:01:08 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the desirability of the type. It's influence is tiny. The only real differentiators are
1. Frequency
2. CI

(High Prices and High Density seating put off passengers but low prices and Premium seats only give a small boost)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.