Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Baron featureless desert...  (Read 1444 times)

Offline apenfold

• Members
Baron featureless desert...
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:23:43 PM »
God isn't it a baron featureless desert on the used market at the moment, it seems like its been (game) weeks since it refreshed...  :'(

Pike

• Former member
Re: Baron featureless desert...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:27:59 PM »
Oh, it depends on when you look at it.  Though like a mirage in your desert, by the time you've focused on it, it's gone.

It just makes no sense why the start of the game must be this long, protracted struggle just to find something reasonable
to fly.  It's not about anything other than that, and won't be for a week.  Really too bad.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »
Market was last referesed actually exactly 3 hrs ago, just "nice to know". Probably won't take that long before next refresh.

But I am not surprised that we are not this topic again on this game world too; sort of FAQ item already almost. I would really like to improve it but it is not that easy, and just flooding the market with planes is probably a bad choice too. All ideas are welcome of course, but post at the feature req's forum so I can find them later too.

Offline apenfold

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:33:57 PM »
I suppose I am complaining a little, but I know what its like to be the one who doesn't get the aircraft when they appear on the market so often. And I don't think for one minute that its something easy to get right! Depends on your position in the game world and what you happen to be up to when the market refreshes (maybe a published timetable would be a good option? :P).

Pike

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:44:03 PM »
Market was last referesed actually exactly 3 hrs ago, just "nice to know". Probably won't take that long before next refresh.

But I am not surprised that we are not this topic again on this game world too; sort of FAQ item already almost. I would really like to improve it but it is not that easy, and just flooding the market with planes is probably a bad choice too. All ideas are welcome of course, but post at the feature req's forum so I can find them later too.

I'm sure you have your reasons Sami, certainly.  And I've been fortunate so far, no doubt (I've been able to grab about 11 Fokker's so far).  On the other hand, the early game seems artificially slow.  I'd much rather play the game where pricing, efficient scheduling, fleet commonality, and general strategy are keys rather than hitting the lottery. 

This item comes up Sami over and over because I think most folks feel this is a broken aspect of the experience (broken may be a strong word, but it's the best I can come up with.)

You know we all love this game, it's why guys like me come back over a year later.  If it was crap, we'd give up and leave you alone.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:48:15 PM »
I would actually like to do it so, that there are the ~200 AI airlines already flying around when the world starts, and you all enter to an established market, instead of an empty world. After all that is the issue - you have no planes flying anywhere and hundreds of airlines just pop there; no wonder every desert will be cleaned for anything that can even remotely fly ... (I should actually code in the Wright Flyer ..)

So I would be in favor of making the big lines work instead of trying to re-invent the used market, but big lines aren't that easy either. But at least technically the v.1.3 interface can support AI airlines; but the background processes cannot yet. And I'm still a bit undecided if the AI airlines would be just dumb autopilot airlines or have some intelligence; and actually setting up their routes and schedules is the hardest part (I just may "steal" the layouts (planes / schedules / settings) from some old game world's human controlled airline to begin with)

(off-topic already)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:50:46 PM by sami »

MattDell

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:54:48 PM »
I would actually like to do it so, that there are the ~200 AI airlines already flying around when the world starts, and you all enter to an established market, instead of an empty world. After all that is the issue - you have no planes flying anywhere and hundreds of airlines just pop there; no wonder every desert will be cleaned for anything that can even remotely fly ... (I should actually code in the Wright Flyer ..)

So I would be in favor of making the big lines work instead of trying to re-invent the used market, but big lines aren't that easy either. But at least technically the v.1.3 interface can support AI airlines; but the background processes cannot yet. And I'm still a bit undecided if the AI airlines would be just dumb autopilot airlines or have some intelligence; and actually setting up their routes and schedules is the hardest part (I just may "steal" the layouts (planes / schedules / settings) from some old game world's human controlled airline to begin with)

(off-topic already)

I like where you're going with this, Sami.  That really is the problem with this simulation... the fact that out of the blue one day, 500 airlines pop up in the middle of nowhere and there just aren't enough resources to sustain the growth of 500 of us at one time.

I think you're going down the right path.  I can't wait to see what happens when we get to this point! :)

Trojan

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 11:09:17 PM »
Add bidding for the planes; doesnt even need to be too long, maybe 5-15 minutes after the plane is launched?

Of course this then creates the problem of established players always having enough money to outbid the smaller players. Maybe the market can have two systems, one 'buy it now' and one bidding system. The bids can be set up any way, I think a sealed first-price would work really well, maybe even a silent auction. Always a chance of getting a plane for dirt cheap! Although, one would expect the airline to have a reasonable reserve, probably lower than the 'buy it now' planes

Or set up a mirror game where people can start their own manufacturing facilities and pump out cheap Chinese 734 ripoffs  ;)

Pike

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 11:47:19 PM »

(off-topic already)

Very interesting thought Sami, thanks for sharing that. 

I like it a lot, no doubt about it.  I have no idea how hard it would be to code airline AI, but judging from how poorly they operate in something like Airline 7 I imagine it's very difficult.  Using 'ghost' profiles is a great thought, and might be a good way to get around the AI.  With so many profiles, it'd be hard to guess who they belonged to.

You've made a great product, I'm sure you'll figure something out!  :)

maumausi

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:54:09 AM »
so it's Pike who's been stealing my Fokkers, you little Fokker 8-)

Since I can't get 737's except by sitting clued to the screen, then I've gone for F28's and for the longest timee had them to myself, now others have spotted them.. drats!

Simon

kupboard

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »
It certainly must be a tricky problem!

How about having a few used planes each day that are only visible to individuals. It would spoil the game a bit not having the pure competition like there is now, but perhaps in the opening of the game to alleviate these issues?

It would certainly remove the issue of the people on the game pretty much all day getting a big advantage on the used plane market.

Pike

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 07:28:45 PM »
so it's Pike who's been stealing my Fokkers, you little Fokker 8-)

Since I can't get 737's except by sitting clued to the screen, then I've gone for F28's and for the longest timee had them to myself, now others have spotted them.. drats!

Simon

8) 

I love those little Fokker's.  I really do.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.