Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: HQ Crowding  (Read 5006 times)

jonleonardjr

• Former member
Re: HQ Crowding
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
Another option would be to limit airlines allowed in an airport based on size, or driving up the cost of office space based on how many airlines are in an airport.

BELF

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 02:45:46 PM »
I'm 1 of 5 at BOS (second one in). 2 of the 5 are long haul carriers, so I don't anticipate much trouble from them - at least at first.

I'd like to suggest another variation: no more than 50% of your hubs at Top 10 airports. That would force players to take risks with a secondary airport.

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »
wasn't there a maximum 6 airlines per hub rule?

jonleonardjr

• Former member
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
wasn't there a maximum 6 airlines per hub rule?

There are 7 at KLAX, so if there was, it appears to no longer be in place.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 04:13:02 PM »
There are 7 at a number of airports, mine included. But I haven't seen any with 8. So I'm guessing the rule merely changed slightly.  :P

swboy

• Former member
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 04:34:05 PM »
MAYBE THE PROBLEM IS TOO SMALL QUNTITY OF GAME WORLDS IN AWS???? DO YOU HAVE CHOICE WHERE TO PLAY??? NO! IF THERE WERE 3 MODERN TIMES WORLDS SAME TIME MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE ABLE TO PLAY NORMALY WITHOUT SO ANGRY COMPETIOTION.
My “recipe” – I think AWS administration has to rise quantity of game worlds and differ them by smth

Offline [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 04:35:33 PM »
MAYBE THE PROBLEM IS TOO SMALL QUNTITY OF GAME WORLDS IN AWS???? DO YOU HAVE CHOICE WHERE TO PLAY??? NO! IF THERE WERE 3 MODERN TIMES WORLDS SAME TIME MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE ABLE TO PLAY NORMALY WITHOUT SO ANGRY COMPETIOTION.
My “recipe” – I think AWS administration has to rise quantity of game worlds and differ them by smth

Come on this game shall not be easy with 3 worlds every one can have their own 200 plane company thats not funny we need to have competition.

maumausi

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 05:25:05 PM »
there needs to be a system similar to handicapping in golf, where the really good players have some kind of restraint placed upon their username (ie spans worlds)

- not allowed into top X airports
- can only see new/used aircraft X hours after other people can lease/buy them
- cannot take on new loans quite so fast
- larger requirement to set up new base, eg 24 months and 30 aircraft/base etc
- certain slots not available to players with higher handicaps
- pay a % extra for fuel
- and more

it's good that certain players get good at the game, but they need handicapping to even things out a bit.. I wouldn't suggest handicapping the better player so much that they get frsutrated and don't play the game any more, just that it evens things up a bit..

Simon

Offline [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »
there needs to be a system similar to handicapping in golf, where the really good players have some kind of restraint placed upon their username (ie spans worlds)

- not allowed into top X airports
- can only see new/used aircraft X hours after other people can lease/buy them
- cannot take on new loans quite so fast
- larger requirement to set up new base, eg 24 months and 30 aircraft/base etc
- certain slots not available to players with higher handicaps
- pay a % extra for fuel
- and more

it's good that certain players get good at the game, but they need handicapping to even things out a bit.. I wouldn't suggest handicapping the better player so much that they get frsutrated and don't play the game any more, just that it evens things up a bit..

Simon

Mate the "good" players are not at top because they are good, but because they have the time to sit up at night and refresh the used market. The most of the players will after af couple og games learn how to build a good solid company. Lets say 200 players out of 500 in this game world can be number one. The only things there are inmportant to who will be at the top is, who got most sparetime to use in the game, for refreshing the used market, and the other players in your start airport.

Every single player can be number one if the just have the time to sit and refresh, specially in the night there is good chances to grab planes.

So the players with most sparetime will mostly be the winners, thats just how this game is.

Your ideas is in my book. Yes they will prevent players there was good in other worlds to get at top fast, but then someone else will just take their place instead.

swboy

• Former member
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 05:45:26 PM »
Come on this game shall not be easy with 3 worlds every one can have their own 200 plane company thats not funny we need to have competition.

Of course, we need competion - I agree... But no so angry like now

Offline [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 05:47:24 PM »
Of course, we need competion - I agree... But no so angry like now

in two three weeks there is no competition peoples will be dropped out and the big ones will just get bigger. Making more games will just give us three really boring worlds instead of one with just some competition.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 05:52:49 PM by Sunbao »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »
in two three weeks there is no competition peoples will be dropped out and the big ones will just get bigger. Making more games will just give us three really boring worlds instead of one with just some competition.

There will be a lot more competition when we get passenger connections - but that is probably version 2.

Removing basing restrictions may slightly increase competition as well - that may be in 1.3.

unsaid

• Former member
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
Mate the "good" players are not at top because they are good, but because they have the time to sit up at night and refresh the used market. The most of the players will after af couple og games learn how to build a good solid company. Lets say 200 players out of 500 in this game world can be number one. The only things there are inmportant to who will be at the top is, who got most sparetime to use in the game, for refreshing the used market, and the other players in your start airport.

Every single player can be number one if the just have the time to sit and refresh, specially in the night there is good chances to grab planes.

So the players with most sparetime will mostly be the winners, thats just how this game is.

Your ideas is in my book. Yes they will prevent players there was good in other worlds to get at top fast, but then someone else will just take their place instead.

sorry mate, but I totally disagree. getting used planes is important, sure but this game is not so simple. I, for example spend about half an hour everyday playing AWS, and almost never spend trying to grab used planes.

jonleonardjr

• Former member
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »
Handicapping "good" players doesn't sound very fair. Everyone has the same means at the start. Putting a good player in a tier 2 airport isn't going to change the fact that they are a good player. Just as putting a "bad" or mediocre player in a tier 1 airport doesn't guarantee them success.

I'm still very new to this, but it seems to me that the two most obvious changes would be either more airports (I honestly don't even know how accurate the game airports are to real world. If it's 1:1, then...) or limiting the number of airlines well below 500.

I enjoy the competition, but when I see 7 airlines in LAX, and know very well that only 2 or 3 are going to survive, that discourages me. Aside from that, I know that many players will drop out after the first few games. One might assume that this design is intentional, as the cost of joining a world up front is more than sustaining your membership. So by making a critical mass of players up front that eventually dwindles followed by new players joining midgame as slots open up, the operators of the site have now collected far more credits than they would otherwise. You can't forget, this is a business, and it costs money to keep it running.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »
Always expect this. It happens everytime and always will. :P

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 07:10:26 PM »
Another option would be to limit airlines allowed in an airport based on size, or driving up the cost of office space based on how many airlines are in an airport.
You can't do that at the beginning of a game. How would you enforce it? Almost all players go for the big cities and the big jets. This would be an unknown factor at the beginning. Besides many drop out anyway. I guess I'm not understanding something here. And most countries are deregulated so that could become a problem except for big slot controlled airports.

altmants

• Former member
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 07:34:07 PM »
I think the "demand" engine needs to be changed a bit regarding SOME secondary airports.

Some examples I'm talking about...

DCA vs IAD......Realistically DCA should have MUCH MUCH Greater demand than IAD. In the real world, DCA is the PREFERRED airport, it is DRASTICALLY closer to Washington DC than IAD. HOWEVER, IAD has more flights because it has A LOT more slots and much longer runeways. DCA has high demand, but low slots. I think demand from DCA needs to be drastically increased in the game. [In real life, ticket prices to DCA are much higher because demand is high, supply is low due to slots]

MDW vs ORD.....Once again, MDW is actually CLOSER to Chicago than ORD. However, runways at MDW are smaller and has a lot less gate space. Considering the airports are only like 10miles apart, the demand for domestic cities should really be nearly exactly the same.

DAL vs DFW.....Once again, these airports are only 10miles apart.

============
Another suggestion would idea would be to make demand based on a "region". So demand from Chicago to NYC is 5000pax/day. All flights from Chicago(MDW,ORD) to New York(EWR,JFK,LGA) should count towards that demand.

This would promote not having EVERYONE fighting for the top 10 airport slots when ORD and MDW have same DOMESTIC demand for example.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2011, 09:12:16 PM »

Offline EYguy

• Members
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 12:21:39 AM »
I was wondering why we do just not simply forbid basing airlines at the top 10 airports. I know it is not realistic, but even beahviours like the ones curretly experienced are not totally realistic.
I mean, until a few years ago LHR had a policy of not giving landing slots to some airlines because of some old treaty... And, as one user already said, the winner is (and will always be) the one who spend his whole frigging day catching new plane on the used market and filling up all the departure/arrival slots.
Another idea would be to limit the usage of landing/take off slots... So that one can't grow more than a certain level unless he/she opens a base somewhere else...

Offline [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »
So boring se the same players choose the same base game after game, but hey if the can't be good any other way ;)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.