5 (33.3%)
salt lake city
1 (6.7%)
Denver
1 (6.7%)
I have posted a certain airport
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: New Airline  (Read 6689 times)

bob123

• Former member
New Airline
« on: February 26, 2011, 06:34:06 PM »
What is the best way to start a new airline?
I really need help.

Viennair

• Former member
Re: New Airline
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »

Offline CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »
Bob123,

There will be a new Modern Times scenario starting this Friday March 4.  Since you are active in the current Modern Times 3 scenario, use the opportunity to start planning for your next airline.  Start researching the airports that interest you by doing route planning from them in order to determine demand on various routes, etc... (since the new scenario will be about the same time period you can expect route demand to be similar to the current MT3).  Research which aircraft would be best to serve the routes you want to fly (try to choose one a/c fleet type that will efficiently fly all the routes you intend to service for at least the first 10-15 a/c ... fleet commonality is critical, especially for a start-up).  Once you have an idea where you will base, what the routes look like and what a/c you will use to service them it's just a matter of waiting for the scenario to launch.  DO try to join the scenario the day it launches (used a/c will be plentiful and refreshed frequently).  And DO remember that the first game-turn day does last a full 24-hours (delayed first game turn) so there is no rush to get yourself organized at launch.

Also, the links that Vienair provided are a wealth of info so be sure to spend some time there.

Some quick pointers:  Large a/c (such as B737) require at least 3 routes per day, 7 days per week to be sufficiently profitable; flying a route w/600 pax demand five times per day with a B737 will yield higher load factors, better profits and discourage competitors better than flying the same route twice per day with an A300; Use a/c for what they were intended - i.e., don't try to use a B747 on a 300 pax demand 1000nm route (these jumbo a/c were mostly intended for high-demand and/or long-haul international routes where higher ticket prices compensate for the long turn-around times and lack of flight frequency); when choosing your start-up a/c try to choose one that is fairly plentiful on the used market and is also still in current production so you can order new planes when the used market dries up and/or you want to replace aging a/c.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:10:00 PM by GoGreenCEO »

murloc787

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »
Some quick pointers:  Large a/c (such as B737) require at least 3 routes per day, 7 days per week to be sufficiently profitable; flying a route w/600 pax demand five times per day with a B737 will yield higher load factors, better profits and discourage competitors better than flying the same route twice per day with an A300; Use a/c for what they were intended - i.e., don't try to use a B747 on a 300 pax demand 1000nm route

If you are flying long routes though how can you have at least 3 per day? Wont each route take will take about 12 hours?

Thanks

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 03:49:20 PM »
What planes do you recomend. like atr 500's and how do you make liveies? I ve tried can any one help me with that for the airline G Airways Boeing 737-800
thanks for your help
Bob123

Offline CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »
Murloc787,

The 747 is a "very large a/c" ... my suggestion for 3 routes/day was for a 737 which is a "large a/c".  The key is to use appropriate a/c for the routes they were intended.  The 747 and similar a/c were primarily intended for long-haul and/or very high demand routes.  Turn-around times are huge, thus they aren't a good choice for most routes under, say, 3000nm (perhaps the only exception being some of the very high demand Asian domestic routes).  You need the longer routes with higher ticket prices to offset the long turn-around times and lack of frequency.  The 737 on the other hand is well-suited to shorter domestic routes with its much shorter turn-around times.  You can easily combine a 900nm route with a couple of shorter (say 400-500nm routes) each day for a total of 3 routes per day, 7 days per week while still leaving the 5-hour A check window.

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »
Thanks now im doing reasearch if i should be based in america (most familiar) Europe (Kinda familiar) or asia (least familiar)

Offline CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 04:12:19 PM »
Bob123,

There isn't a single "best" a/c ... it depends entirely upon what routes you need it to fly, what the demand is on those routes and, frankly, what your overall plan is for your airline.  What you don't want to do is pick and choose a specific a/c for each route you want to fly ... thus spoling your fleet commonality.  If your chosen base airport has several routes with, say, 300-500+ pax demand per day at 400-900nm then I would say the B737 is hard to beat.  If you have a demand of 150-300 pax per day on routes 400nm or less than some of the turboprop a/c will do a fine job on them.  The ATR 72 is very well suited for such routes and a very efficient a/c to fly.

You need some type of graphic design program to do liveries (Photoshop, etc...).  You can use the blank AWS templates or others found online.  I use a program called Visio and I draw my own templates and liveries.  Visio isn't the greatest program for graphic design (it wasn't really intended for this sort of thing) but I am comfortable with it and am generally pleased with the results it achieves.  It takes a lot of time to draw a template and apply a livery using Visio, though, so I don't generally do them for others anymore.  But there is a thread in the General Forum where you can request a livery.

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 04:16:28 PM »
Ok Thanks for your help

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »
take my pole please

Offline CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »
take my pole please

Your poll is a little vague ... "Florida" ... "somewhere in Europe, Asia"?  There are lots of busy airports in Florida, not to mention Europe and Asia.  I can tell you this, however:  there are several airports in the US that seldom have airlines based there at the start of a new game world (KPBI in Florida,  KSMF, KONT and KPSP in California, KRNO in Nevada, etc...  All depends on what type of airline you want to run and how competitive you want to be.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:37:00 PM by GoGreenCEO »

murloc787

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »
i mean take the pole then tell what airport in that area sorry. :)

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »
Don't start at my hub :(

:P

I wont were is it

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »
On choice of airport...   I'm fairly new to this myself but the strategy I'm using is this.  Choose a 'secondary' airport that is fairly close (300 to 500nm) to as many "big" airports as possible.  Being based at a large airport such as JFK, LHR means LOTS of competition and added complications such as worrying about slots and aggressive, experienced players so that's not for me (yet!).  Even if you find a large airport with no resident competition there's a good chance that everybody else will want to fly there anyway, which can be just as bad, if not worse.  For example, in my current game BOS is currently "free" BUT.... there are still virtually no good routes because it's one of the first places everybody else chooses to fly.  If you're at a smallish airport you should have longer to become established before the "big boys" come after your traffic as they run out of better markets to expand into.  And then they might just leave you alone if they have ten other similar "small" routes to choose from.  That's what I'm hoping anyway...

Whatever continent or country you choose should have it's own challenges and should be fun but personally I prefer somewhere I'm familiar with. Flying between two Chinese or Mexican cities (just for example) that I've never heard of doesn't really stimulate my imagination.

Oh, and remember, if you'll wanter to expand later and open a second base then be sure to choose a country that has several suitable options to choose from. Don't go for Singapore or Hong Hong in that case.

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »
On choice of airport...   I'm fairly new to this myself but the strategy I'm using is this.  Choose a 'secondary' airport that is fairly close (300 to 500nm) to as many "big" airports as possible.  Being based at a large airport such as JFK, LHR means LOTS of competition and added complications such as worrying about slots and aggressive, experienced players so that's not for me (yet!).  Even if you find a large airport with no resident competition there's a good chance that everybody else will want to fly there anyway, which can be just as bad, if not worse.  For example, in my current game BOS is currently "free" BUT.... there are still virtually no good routes because it's one of the first places everybody else chooses to fly.  If you're at a smallish airport you should have longer to become established before the "big boys" come after your traffic as they run out of better markets to expand into.  And then they might just leave you alone if they have ten other similar "small" routes to choose from.  That's what I'm hoping anyway...

That's a good strategy. When you have more experience you can start wherever you want since you are going to crush the competition anyway.  :P

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 01:11:01 AM »
thanks every one any more tips

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 09:56:20 PM »
The voting is a tie

bob123

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
one more thing how o you buy a 737 to start. :-[

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 10:14:58 PM »
one more thing how o you buy a 737 to start. :-[

Depends on the time period of the game world, you can get different generations of 737.  Generally, when you start, you only money to lease an aircraft.  And, at the beginning, the quickest way to obtain aircraft is on the used aircraft market.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.