Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Measuring Success  (Read 4243 times)

minerva

• Former member
Measuring Success
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »
I've been thinking about what I want, or ought, to accomplish in this game world, and I'm wondering how other players decide whether they have played well or not.  I know different players have different yardsticks -- not all of us will even try to be the biggest in terms of pax flown or fleet size or airline value -- and that playing the game is sometimes enjoyment enough (it often has been for me).  But I'm curious: those experienced players out there, how do you/expect to measure your relative performance in a gameworld like this single continent challenge (beyond not BKing, that is)?  Anyone mind sharing?

(For the record, I'm playing to be amongst the top 25 by end of game in size and value -- e.g. a long way to go...)   

Offline swiftus27

• Members
Re: Measuring Success
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:04:01 PM »
ask this after the first huge fuel crisis.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:41:38 AM »
Operating an airline that dominates another airline run by someone who is of equal or greater skill then yourself.

Can you roll into LGW and lay the smack down on Jonesy? Take on Sigma in DFW and retire him shortly there after? No? Well, then you still have things to learn and room to grow.

or if your me...

Can you go head on with Sami and win? That to me is the best measure of success in AWS.  8)

Talentz

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:38:12 AM »
Can you go head on with Sami and win? That to me is the best measure of success in AWS.  8)
Talentz

Tell me you didn't.... ;D

You know that's playing with your user account right?

Anyhow, It would be great to have Sami around in the games and take him on.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 10:39:18 AM »
Tell me you didn't.... ;D

You know that's playing with your user account right?

Anyhow, It would be great to have Sami around in the games and take him on.

Sami plays on occasion.  We even let him into the SkyNet alliance once.

Personally, I think he's a bit of a pushover. ;)

Really he doesn't have the time to run the uber-airlines that many others do.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:05:40 PM »

Really he doesn't have the time to run the uber-airlines that many others do.

It's hard to admit, but, even Sami playing at 50% of his time is still 95% better then the rest of us in AWS ..  :-[

- Talentz

DanDantes

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 09:39:03 AM »

It's hard to admit, but, even Sami playing at 50% of his time is still 95% better then the rest of us in AWS ..  :-[

- Talentz

I would not mind having a go  :)

Dan

DanDantes

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:52:15 AM »
I've been thinking about what I want, or ought, to accomplish in this game world, and I'm wondering how other players decide whether they have played well or not.  I know different players have different yardsticks -- not all of us will even try to be the biggest in terms of pax flown or fleet size or airline value -- and that playing the game is sometimes enjoyment enough (it often has been for me).  But I'm curious: those experienced players out there, how do you/expect to measure your relative performance in a gameworld like this single continent challenge (beyond not BKing, that is)?  Anyone mind sharing?

(For the record, I'm playing to be amongst the top 25 by end of game in size and value -- e.g. a long way to go...)   

I was thinking the same thing before i read this post.

The problem as I c for myself is that I cant just have one strategy/challenge for the entire game. For exemple, I was thinking for this game world I would just to have 1 fleet of aircrafts but to make it work I need to ensure that I have enough slots and cash to get new aircraft. So I need to start off with a many fleet strategy to get the cash to be able to get my aircraft. But to answer your question my target/challenge for this game world would be to have just one fleet :-) Hard but possible

But you are right tho, just playing the game is enjoyment enough...

Dan
Dantes Air

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
As a newbie in my first real game, my sole aim was to survive and, maybe, be up there not too far behind some of the bigger guys in terms of overall size (number of a/c, routes etc.) but this got me thinking...  I have the time to mess around with the small aircraft and less 'glamourous' routes so maybe I'll try to serve EVERY airport in the US.  Has this been done before? Probably has.  There are only 456 in this game so not unrealistic.  I'm already number 4 on "number of airports served" and I was number one when I got up this morning.  I'll need to make sure my big routes can fund the ones making little profit, or a loss and slots will be an issue.  Will probably need at least four bases well positioned bases in not-too-congested airports. 56 down, 400 to go. Any thoughts? 

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »
I tend to measure success based on the success of my alliance. For example, in NAC, my goal is to have a higher score than WorldLink.
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 10:26:40 PM »

- Talentz

You just know he fiddles with your airline if you beat him!

altmants

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 02:22:47 AM »
Hey knobbygb,

Just beware of marketing cost going exponentially high if you serve as many airports as you can as fast as you can.  Once I get big, I can freely add flights to as many airports as I wish but I think early on you must be careful. For example, under statistics for company brand & image, we have people closing in on 80company image while we have people who serve 60+ airports already only at a 30 company image.

If you take a look at me at DFW, we can compare my airline that only serves 20 airports to the other Airline that serves 70+ airports. I have over 35 new aircraft coming in while he only has enough money for 4 new aircraft coming in. While Technically right now, he serves over 3x more place than I do, flies more passengers, has more planes, if you take a look at the actually stat numbers and finances and aircraft on order, it is a matter of time until my exponential growth surpasses. I know a lot of people try to claim their stake in their route by serving the airport. Consider this, my company image is closing in on 80 while my competitor is closing in on 30. Now I can start my massive airport growth. I have plenty of new aircraft coming in(about 3.5 per month), I can add every airport he serves. Now consider this: imagine who is going to get the majority of the passengers, the person with CI of 80 or CI of 30 once I start serving all the airport he serves.

So in the end, i personally believe it is better to Serve the same airport as many times as possible until it is maxed out before I move on to another airport(at least during the first game year)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 01:44:53 PM »
This is not the game to do a snatch and grab.  Efficiency will be the "win" in this game.

Online ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »
In NAC, success for me will be surviving until the end. In Alliance Challenge, all was going well until gas hit the roof. Even though I felt my fleet was good (ATR's, 737-3/4/5, 752), expensive gas ended me. I am sticking with 2 fleet types in this game world, and went specifically with the most fuel efficient models that meet my needs.

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »
Im still flying one fleet type in this game.   You will win or lose by how you survive fuel pinches.  This is NOT a game to play with zero cash on hand.  You will need a rainy day fund.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 01:58:22 AM »
This is NOT a game to play with zero cash on hand.  You will need a rainy day fund.

Tell me about it.  :-\

But Sami isn't that much better off them me.  :laugh:

Talentz

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »
Well at least I'm winning? 8)

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 01:58:52 AM »
Mmm more like won. Im losing aircraft now, it shouldn't be much longer.

Grr... 3 months ago our situations were much different. Once my routes were 100% saturated, that pretty much did it.

Guess it's time to start the long review of what happen and figure out what I could have done better. Once again it was in my hand, then it slipped out and by the time I turned around to find where it went, checkmate.

- Talentz

unsaid

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 09:07:30 AM »
I personally go for the highest available/revenue seat kilometers. I think it gives the best idea of how large a company is. Airline value is also an indicator, but latecomers can almost never reach the highest airline values.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.