Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Need help  (Read 3306 times)

flightsimer

• Former member
Need help
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:13:52 AM »
I did very well on the demo when i played it and have played enough of these games to know what to do... but i just cant turn a profit. Iím really close but I always have one expense that if it would stay the same from the last month i would be in the green, but i always seem to stay in the red. Iím loosing about 49.5k per week. But what really gets me is that for 2-3 weeks within the first 2 game months i was turning a profit but then that turned to losses

Iím running at 75% LF company wide with some of my routes averaging low-mid 80's. My Company image seems to not want to go above 21 which is has been around for the last 2 days (RW) and i have all my routes at standard prices now. all of my routes are well established with images of 88+ and all will peak at 100 within the next 1-2 days.

Right now, i have focused on 4 main routes (top 4) as they all our my best money makers. I have already dropped multiple cities that werenít making as much money in favor of adding more freqs. So far that was a good move as all my routs are profiting 4000 or more with the highest at about 5500.

PIT-EWR 3x
PIT-PHL 3x
PIT-ORD 2x
PIT-DTW 2x
PIT-BUF 1x
PIT-BDL 1x

My fleet is made up of 3 ATR42's (1x 300, 2x 320's) and are running from 6am, 1230am. I had two red eye flights that werenít making anything (150 and 850 dollars each) which i just dropped tonight as both were to airports not served within my main route planning. Now Iím running my ATR's at most 450nm's with a 40y config which is 8 below max so i have the ability to add capacity in each aircraft though i really donít want to at least yet as Iím afraid I my LF/RI/AI will drop

Iv have already lowered my CEO's wage to 150 dollars but i have some extra staff that i hired that i might not need. Any idea on which staff i should have more of or is it pretty much useless to have some extra staff for certain areas? also they are all at their starting wage as when i lowered some of the management jobs, i took a AI hit and the morale when into the 20-30's...

I really dont want to file bankruptcy seeming how established i am, but i cant keep loosing money. If i could just get one Jet to do some longer flights, i could probably work my way out, but i donít have the money too and cant/donít want to get another loan. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:15:53 AM by flightsimer »

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:44:08 AM »
Never, ever have extra staff.  If the system automatically hires a couple extra, leave 'em be because the firing effect is too great and it'll just hire 'em right back anyways.  But never go out of your way to hire anything above what the systems says you need. 

Looks to me like your only real problem is simply flying planes that are too small to cover all your overhead.  Yes, you can make a profit with 40-seaters.  But it takes more than 3 of them to do it and it takes them flying more than 70% full.  I can't see your Income Statement, but you've just got too much overhead to cover and not enough revenue to cover it with.

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:53:30 AM »
how real is our LF? right now im at 75%. if i change my cabins for 44 seats or 48, will my LF drop to 68% and 62% respectively or will it  stay at the 75%?

Im actually at 78% ave now, but 75% made it easier for the above calculations.

I was able to shed 100k a month off in crews and i increased tickets by $5 each

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:29:57 AM »
Your LF will only go down by changing your configuration.

30 passengers are about the bare minimum to turn a profit even with a number of aircraft in the air to spread some overhead.  You're running 40-pax planes, but only moving 30-35 passengers, and only have 3 of them, so you're right on the cusp of really what the system is designed to allow to be profitable (not that it was a conscious decision to make sub-30-pax planes unprofitable, just that the system is designed to mimic large airlines and all their overhead expenses, so it overburdens smaller airlines greatly).  So since you are yourself just about profitable, you're really doing all you can.  It's just the game that's hindering you from getting any further.

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:36:17 PM »
The tides have changed and im in the green!!!!.

Had done a country wide tv ad and when that expired i switched to country wide radio ads which have allowed me to turn a small profit. the first week was only 8k but overnight its gone up to and stablized at 37k per week.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:24:49 AM »
The tides have changed and im in the green!!!!.

Had done a country wide tv ad and when that expired i switched to country wide radio ads which have allowed me to turn a small profit. the first week was only 8k but overnight its gone up to and stablized at 37k per week.
That great! Some people will also say route specific campaigns are a waste of time. Quite to the contrary, a well placed and well timed route specific can do wonders. Just don't use them alot. Sparingly.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:49:54 AM »
That great! Some people will also say route specific campaigns are a waste of time. Quite to the contrary, a well placed and well timed route specific can do wonders. Just don't use them alot. Sparingly.

They are a waste.  This isn't an opinion, not only is it an experience shared by every single even half-decent player of the game, but even sami himself has said so.

Once your RI is 100 it's 100.  There's nothing you can do.  You don't get some 'bonus' by throwing some marketing campaign on it.  And you certainly don't get some temporary noticeable hike in your passenger figures that you've claimed in the past.  Even when your RI isn't 100, a campaign doesn't do that.  All it does is moderately affect the rate of RI increase.  Any difference you may have seen in the past are simply the normal ebb and flow of demand on a route and/or more discrete factors like the competition having a plane go into maintenance.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:52:15 AM by Sigma »

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:23:53 PM »
So i restarted and im already just after one day im already in the green overall. Im now running 2 ATR 42's from the same hub. Ci is already to 12 and its only been 22 hours since i restarted it. About to order my third aircraft. Loan is almost completely paid off and my credit rating is B!

Offline GlobalCEO

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 11:29:11 PM »
What do you think of the ATR's? I'm mixed on using them :-\

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 11:40:19 PM »
Well, if you would have asked me two days ago, i would have said i would never operate them again, however i would say now they are pretty good.

I am being more picky though. I had previously had 3, one -300 and two -320's. With NEA v2 im only using -300's as they are cheaper to lease and i dont need the extra range of the -320. Im also not sending them on flights above 350nm's. They are slower than i would like, but are faster than the dash 8's. I think once i have the money, im going to replace them with Saab 2000's though until i get saabs, i will take some atr 72's and see how they do.

overall, if you are a new airline, they need to be put on routes with no other airlines running on it. NEAv1 was all routes into already served cities and it took me a game year to make a profit. with V2 im only flying into cities not served and i was in the green within 2 game days. If you are a very well established airline (CI 40+) then they can probably go on any route easily. by using only -300's i will also save approx 80k per plane per month.

Offline GlobalCEO

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 01:25:45 AM »
Thanks! I was unsure about them... I was running the numbers and not getting good results. The 737s have worked well for me so far but I hate running them on the shorter flights (under 400nm). Thanks for the info!

flightsimer

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 08:07:42 PM »
They are a waste.  This isn't an opinion, not only is it an experience shared by every single even half-decent player of the game, but even sami himself has said so.

Once your RI is 100 it's 100.  There's nothing you can do.  You don't get some 'bonus' by throwing some marketing campaign on it.  And you certainly don't get some temporary noticeable hike in your passenger figures that you've claimed in the past.  Even when your RI isn't 100, a campaign doesn't do that.  All it does is moderately affect the rate of RI increase.  Any difference you may have seen in the past are simply the normal ebb and flow of demand on a route and/or more discrete factors like the competition having a plane go into maintenance.
so im gonna bring this back up as im mystified by something. My new airline climbed in CI to 30 steadily from day one. It has now stopped increasing and wont go above 30 yet nothing has changed. Now my competetion has come onto all the 35pax routes i was on a lot longer than himand placed his 52 seat fokkers on them and and has taken over MS somehow because of this. its been steady at 30 for at least the last week or so and my marketing people are working better than ever. what gives?

Pike

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
so im gonna bring this back up as im mystified by something. My new airline climbed in CI to 30 steadily from day one. It has now stopped increasing and wont go above 30 yet nothing has changed. Now my competetion has come onto all the 35pax routes i was on a lot longer than himand placed his 52 seat fokkers on them and and has taken over MS somehow because of this. its been steady at 30 for at least the last week or so and my marketing people are working better than ever. what gives?

One of the more experienced guys may correct me here....but I believe that CI increases are in relation to the amount of money you are spending per week/month on marketing.  Again, I could be wrong, but in order to go higher than 30, you'll need to increase you're efforts.

I know that in the past (and I just started playing again so I mean years past), once I got to 100 CI, I had to continue spending a certain level to maintain that CI. 

The amount you are spending may only be enough to sustain a 30 CI.

Could one of you more experienced guys confirm/correct this?

Offline pascaly

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »
Correct Pike.

If you spend X dollars per week, you will get to a final CI of Y. To get above Y, you need to spend Z dollars on top of what you spent to get to Y.  However, as the CI increases, so does the ratio of spending to increase.  CI10 to CI20 might cost you next to nothing and take a few game weeks, CI90 to CI100 will take a large percentage of your revenue and take a year or more.

Think of it like a throttle.  If you open the throttle half way, no matter how long you hold it open for, you will stop accelerating at some point and your speed will plateau (all things being equal).  To reach a higher speed, you need to open the throttle wider.  Same with CI.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
Ah... F=MA ... to get more force, you need to accelerate you mass more

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 08:21:35 PM »
no, because the rate of increase on your CI is the same whether you are spending $5 a week or $5050200525. Its just that the second number will get you further in the end.
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Offline RushmoreAir

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »
Keep in mind however, that the spending money on the marketing staff barely matters.  Just run bigger campaigns, with TV and such.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 10:34:59 PM »
no, because the rate of increase on your CI is the same whether you are spending $5 a week or $5050200525. Its just that the second number will get you further in the end.

It does too change.  And considerably at that.

The rate at which it increases is the difference between what it takes to sustain the current CI you have and whatever CI you will eventually get to given your spending.  The greater this difference, the greater the rate at which CI is earned.

The throttle metaphor is actually precisely how it works.

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »
I find it difficult to believe that 48 people in NAC are spending exactly the same amount of cash per week on CI. we have moved up at the same rate.
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Offline pascaly

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 11:43:39 PM »

The throttle metaphor is actually precisely how it works.

I'm glad.  Perhaps I'll get credit in Swiftus' newb guide   ;)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.