Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: runway length v load  (Read 735 times)

• Former member
runway length v load
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »
is there any calculator/screen out there that says how many passengers you can carry for a given runway length? Being a bit silly I picked an Argentina base airport that nobody is else is at and has some nice demand and numbers etc, but I have now realised it has a 2100M runway. My A300 which asks for about 2600M gets off nicely but is limited to 198Y rather than the 260Y it could do.

I'm thinking of leasing a DC8 for a year as it has the range I need, but it requires 2900M of runway. Before I commit to a lease, how can I work out what passenger load I'll be allowed? I've been through the lease screen right up to pushing the OK button and it doesn't do anything.

Also, is AWS clever enough to know that when coming from a large airport with long runways, say ATL, to my little jungle strip, then it could carry more passengers since it's landing with little fuel? I don't think so as the route screens say 198Y limitation both ways for my A300..

Offline schro

• Members
Re: runway length v load
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:24:19 PM »
1. Pick a plane that you don't need a 2100m runway for ;-)

2. Do a tech stop on the way out and not on the way back. You should be able to get just about anything off the ground to fly a few hundred miles from there with a full load.

3. The calculation for runway requirement isn't done until you assign a plane for a route (with a rough warning calculated on the route open page)

Offline ACDennison

• Members
Re: runway length v load
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
On short range routes you may find you can get off in less than the stated need, if the route is short I think AWS does allow for short-fuelling, and thus lower TOW and thus runway req.  Of course, that won't help you on a longer route.

One thought, if you are pax limited, take adavntage of fitting nicer seats to up your LF a bit - I get 1290NM out of HS748 in a 43 pax fit, normally they struggle to get past 900NM.  SInce they opnly need ~1150m runs its not a big help for runways, but it has helped me schedule more routes with them.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.