Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Route Marketing  (Read 1087 times)

dan_chi

• Former member
Route Marketing
« on: January 10, 2011, 05:22:21 AM »
Just a question about route specific marketing campaigns.  I know this will increase my route image for that particular route, but will it increase overall demand for the route?  For example I have a couple of routes where LF% is always 60ish simply because the capacity of my planes is higher than the daily demand for that route.  Will route specific marketing increase the demand for these routes, or is it just a waste of cash?

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: Route Marketing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 06:22:06 AM »
Utter waste of cash.

Never, ever do Route Marketing.

Yes, it will give you a TINY increase in the speed at which you earn RI.  But you'll get to an RI of 100 just by flying the route at least 6 times a week.  It'll cost you a ton of money and save you only days for the time to get to an RI of 100 which has virtually no value at all.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
Yep, just as Sigma said.
Also, route marketing will not increase demand. The only thing that increases demand is time. I suppose the demand numbers are updated once a year.

chunky25

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 11:29:33 AM »
So you guys say that route marketing is waste? Why is that function implemented then? Should at least be somehow modelled into demand, right?

What about general marketing then. I somehow have the feeling (can't prove though) that increasing your general marketing has a positive effect on LF (probably over CI).

vitongwangki

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 12:01:50 PM »
Not really waste of cash, but somehow it is not useful when your company grew bigger and bigger.

The cost of route-specific marketing is depends on your company size. When your company is small, the cost is definitely cheap and worth to increase the RI quickly so that you are able to make money in a short time. Especially when the company started with only long-haul routes, route specific marketing is necessary for her to make money.
Of course when your company grew bigger, it is not economical to do so.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:03:41 PM »
Route marketing only raises your route image a bit faster, which will rise to 100 on its own as long as the route is flown. Some like to use it in the beginning to get their first routes up and running faster, but it will take that precious money in the beginning away from you. So sometimes it's better to do route marketing, and sometimes it's not.

Another point when to use the marketing, is when you start a route another airline already operates. It will help you bring down his profits faster than normally, but won't probably give you more money.

chunky25

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »
Alright, that makes sense. I usually do route marketing some 1 months, maybe 2 at the opening of a new route. Especially for promising ones and with competition. Thing is as I'm growing all the time route marketing never slows down. So it's a big part of my costs actually.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
Alright, that makes sense. I usually do route marketing some 1 months, maybe 2 at the opening of a new route. Especially for promising ones and with competition. Thing is as I'm growing all the time route marketing never slows down. So it's a big part of my costs actually.

Ditch it.  Altogether.

It's a broken game mechanic and it doesn't work.  Hasn't ever worked.  All it does is separate inexperienced players from their cash while experienced players who know better save that money and use it to run the newer ones out of business.

You might be able to make an argument on the first couple routes you ever operate because the costs are somewhat low, but even then it's literally only shaving a few game-days off the time it takes to get to an RI of 100.  If you've got competition that's saving that money for an extra plane that doubles their revenues while you're trying to eek out an extra couple percent a couple game-days earlier, you're gonna lose.

Try it.  Open 2 routes at once, spend the money on one of them, don't spend it on the other.  And then watch how the RI grows.  You'll barely notice any difference at all.

As for after your first couple of routes it's insanely expensive.  It's broken and grows linearly with the size of your airline.  So your 100th route costs many, many times per week to market than your first one.  Pretty soon you'll be spending more than $1M/wk just to route market on some tiny route that won't generate that much profit in a year even once it gets to 100 which, again, it will get to anyways.  A gigantic waste of cash even if it did provide some benefit.

Offline iFlysimX

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »
What about running a General Marketing for your airline?? Does That help?? and if what does newspaper, internet??

Thanks,
Clement

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 07:08:29 PM »
General campaing is a totally different thing. It's pretty much the only thing that raises your Company Image, which on the other hand affects directly to all your LF's. So you should always have at least 1 general campaign on.

Now, how much to campaign is another thing. And I'm pretty sure every player has different thoughts about that.
The different medias only affect on the cost of the campaign along with how wide the campaign is (national or global). And the cost linearly determines how fast and how high your Company Image goes. So you could get CI of 40 with a campaing/campaigns costing $1 million/week, but to get it to 70, you might have to pay $3 millions/week. Whether you get that cost from 1 global tv campaign or several Newspaper campaigns in different parts of the world doesn't matter, only thing that matters is the money you spend overall.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.