Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Is it worth joining an alliance?  (Read 1013 times)

• Former member
Is it worth joining an alliance?
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
I am new to the game, so would first like to say hello and express how excited I am about joining AirwaySim.

I am currently operating a small airline and we are trying to increase our load factors.  Of course we have reviewed our price strategy and have also invested in a sophisticated marketing campaign in our home and destination cities.  However we are wondering if joining one of the many alliances will give a significant boost, relative to the cost of joining.  Typical charges look to be about 1% of revenue, which sounds very small, but this is a lot to a small startup airline like ours.

I would appreciate any comments or advice from more experienced AirwaySim operators, and look forward to hearing from you in due course.

All the best,

• Former member
Re: Is it worth joining an alliance?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:27:55 PM »
For an airline your size, I would say no, not until you get quite a bit larger. Also, just a warning, make sure you keep good fleet commonality. Having Embraer 110s and 120s is OK (though they are very similar, so it would be better to choose just one) but don't get any more fleet types until you have 15 planes (keep it at 2 fleet types max until then). Another warning, it is hard, nearly impossible, to run an airline entirely on 17 passenger planes in Airwaysim,which is what you seem to be trying to do. Yet another warning, I have found that 17-20 passenger planes (like your Embraer 110s) have trouble making money on flights more than 200 miles; for your Embraer 120s, keep it at 300 or 400 miles max. 

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:20:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  This is my first game and I am realising quickly that I have an awful lot to learn.  I do enjoy a challenge, though, and will make the best of the start I have made in this game, in the hope of improving my performance in future.

It sounds like I need to do a bit more work on route planning to find airports within that range so I'll see what I can do.

Many thanks for your comments.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:03:29 AM »
I have found the increase in load after joining an alliance will basically pay for its fee. Its usually a good place to chat and get pointers.

The small e props are pretty poor performers, so if you can make money with them, anything is doable.

I an airline can't afford an alliance fee of one percent, it will probably go bankrupt next time fuel fluctuates a few bucks anyway.

You are more then welcome to join the owl alliance if you would like!

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 04:25:20 PM »
I thought Alliance provided no added lift in customers - as AWS does not take into account yet the sharing of passengers.... and Alliance was only for sharing ideas.

Could be wrong...

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:00:07 PM »
From the Alliances front page... "At the current version of AirwaySim being an alliance member will boost your passenger travel demand, depending on the size of the alliance. As transfer passengers are not modeled codesharing is not possible. The alliance represents a loose co-operation between the companies - there are no direct operational or financial benefits (such as maintenance savings) for being an alliance member."

The increased passengers and revenue may be small, but so are the costs of joining. Personally, being in an alliance is more a social part for the game and also adds an extra dimension to the game.

Offline [ATA] - lilius

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:12:27 PM »
I agree with NorgeFly, the social part is important. Its also a good thing not to stand completely alone in a very competitive market.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.