Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Starting off  (Read 1042 times)

gposey717

• Former member
Starting off
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:35:52 AM »
 :-\ When you start out its hella hard to keep afloat  when people start flooding routes early on in your game its not fun.....smh

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
Re: Starting off
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:38:17 AM »
When you join a game in progress, it is good to find a class 3 or 4 airport that will go under the radar for a while. This has worked for me in the past. Once you are stable, open bases at other, maybe larger airports in your home country. Starting at, say, DFW 3 years in would be suicide....

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

gposey717

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 06:59:20 AM »
yea i tried that im at oakland as airsouth and some airline opened a base and just flooded all my routes with seats >:(

Offline ACDennison

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 02:59:31 PM »
Pretty much bad luck then - although with a passenger bar rating of 67% I'd still say maybe you started in too obvious a location...  I started at Faro on my second attempt (rating 55%), after making a complete hash of my first-ever airline with fuel-obsessed 707's.  My airline is doing ok, doubled the fleet from 5 to 10 in the first year, just leased two more as well, and I've paid off my loan.

Remember you can try to undercut other airlines on price, or offer better seats on your a/c to increase the chance of pax using your flights - that and you need to et your company image up with some general marketing - I'm up to ~40 after my first year :)

Knos

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:56:49 AM »
Pretty much bad luck then - although with a passenger bar rating of 67% I'd still say maybe you started in too obvious a location...  I started at Faro on my second attempt (rating 55%), after making a complete hash of my first-ever airline with fuel-obsessed 707's.  My airline is doing ok, doubled the fleet from 5 to 10 in the first year, just leased two more as well, and I've paid off my loan.

Remember you can try to undercut other airlines on price, or offer better seats on your a/c to increase the chance of pax using your flights - that and you need to et your company image up with some general marketing - I'm up to ~40 after my first year :)

Completely agree here. It is hard to find the right base when you jump into the game later on. I found myself in the same situation. After a lot of searching I did eventually find a base with enough demand. In addition to the comment above, you will have to plan ahead and choose your aircraft wisely. You have to way up all things distance, amount of pax, competetion etc. Better seats are defintely a key to success when starting up on already flown routes. Dont be afraid to go to the extreme and put in flat-bed business class seat or two. The other thing the you will have to take advantage of is frequency.

You will have any chance of capturing the market share on a route you will have to out fly your competition. For example you may want to fly route where your competitor is flying a 737. While you can do the same, its not really going to help you get ahead that much. You need to find an aircraft that will fill the demand and also out frequent your competitor. That way you will more pax on your flights and less on your competitor. Frequency with good seats, CI and RI will give you a good fighting chance. Good luck ;)

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 05:35:25 AM »
IMO, it is always an important factor to look for an airport with high domestic demands if you started late. Get an airport in a country having at least 50 airports, start with props on all the short distance domestic routes. This really help a lot because usually ~50 pax route is too insignificant for other players who started early and not many people fly them. Normally this will be flying to small airport and the slot fees is very very low compared to big airport, this save a lot for starting. The next is short distance but high demand (maybe >200 pax) route. Even if the route is flown, they might have establish a fleet of regional jet or jets like B737 which you can easily win the market by frequency if you are flying props. Assume that you are flying Fokker Fk.27, you can fly them up to 1000nm routes and you don't need to add DC9 or B737 too early, saving fleet commonality. Once you have fully filled all possible route with props, then only you get your 2nd type of aircraft. By that time, you'll have establish a strong base.

I started at Jakarta Kemayoran a class 3 airport having 85% domestic and 15% international short haul demand. Yet to reach 1 and half year, I fly 23 Fk. 27, 7 B727, 4 B733. All the B733 are new and I still have some in order. Having a fleet of 34 but 3 type is not very economical, but I got no choice because I have fully filled up all the possible routes. But yet I'm doing quiet well with $1m profit weekly.

Before started at Jakarta, I based at Guangzhou Baiyun and in 4 months time my fleet grow to 50 Fk. 27 + 7 B707. But I was restricted due to slots and I was too young to open a new base out there. So I end it up and start somewhere else.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.