Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Commonality problems  (Read 2099 times)

VOC

• Former member
Commonality problems
« on: December 15, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »
I don't know what to do. I have some Boeing 747SP leased until the end of the decade. My mistake started when I decided to order some A310-300, as it's cheaper and its range is nice. But when Boeing 767-200ER and -300ER was launched, I have made some others too.

I'm now stuck with 3 types of very large aircrafts at least until 1991. I don't know what to do now to keep a nice commonality.

Thanks in advance. Feel free to expose your similar problems here too.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:31:13 PM by VOC »

VOC

• Former member
Re: I have messed up my commonality
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 07:40:23 PM »
My maintenance costs are okay until now. I'm making good profits. I'm just affraid of getting problems with it in the future.

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 09:28:27 AM »
You'll feel the pain when your aircraft delivered and you start fly them. Your commonality costs will shoot up at least double. The best solution is to dump some of your fleet.

Bettyb

• Former member
Re: Commonality problems
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:24:20 PM »
I thought I had this worked out by getting P&W aircraft.
Sadly i didnt notice ATR are P&W canada and MD83 are P&W, so had different fleet commonality.
Doh! :-\

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:32:05 AM »
Engine commonality isn't nearly as big of a deal as chassis type commonality.

For the future, don't agree longer than 3 year leases for new planes unless you knorr there isn't anything better coming out that you will want to switch to. Wikipedia is your friend if you don't know your airliners history....

ACfly

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:58:19 AM »
You'll feel the pain when your aircraft delivered and you start fly them. Your commonality costs will shoot up at least double. The best solution is to dump some of your fleet.

Do you mean break the lease?

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 02:25:44 PM »
The monthly expenses (admin, maintenance, training cost) of your fleet will increase significantly when you add more type of aircraft to your fleet. You will not see the increase when ordering the aircraft but when the plane is delivered, the cost changes.

Offline type45

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:23:37 AM »
I think it is not a good idea to use A310 if you don't have a fleet of A300 to share the cost or most of them are leased......it is just too small in AWS and can't make a good profit when fuel price goes up

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 10:44:55 AM »
As the largest operator of A300/310s in any game-world I play in, I can say that the A310 is an extremely poor aircraft (in AWS) and has been the death of more than a few airlines.  Even if you already have commonality it's difficult to make a profit with it as it consumes a truly horrible amount of fuel per passenger, right up there with some of the Russian stuff, and when fuel gets really high you won't even cover the fuel bill even with a fairly full plane.  If you don't have commonality with an existing A300 fleet it will cause your company to hemorrhage cash as it's unlikely to significantly cover even its direct costs, let alone the overhead of additional commonality expenses.

Peanutoil

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
A310 kills...

Even when playing in demo world (supposed that the fuel price is not as high as paid world), i can feel how poor the A310 is. I was nearly forced to bankrupt by A310... Don't order A310 alone, the maintenance cost will make cash haemorrhage when fuel price is high.

vitongwangki

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »
I think using A310-300 is a kind of art.
First, to secure the pax supply, you need to base in some major international airport, that can provide a lot of routes that can allows you to fly for a long range. (If no long range routes, why don't I just order B757?)
Second, you shouldn't use it when you face vigorous competition, once the LF% drops, you must the one who generate loss instead of your competitors. (Normally minor long haul routes (150-200 Pax) do not have competition, but if your competitors are in the same base with you, you will probably got attacked by them, even they use L1011 can generate profit on the same route but not you.)
Third, to ensure you have relatively low maintenance cost, you must use it with the super-profit generating aircraft A306/A306R, they can reduce the maintenance cost of A310s and earn money to save you when you are in high fuel price.

For my experience, I am using to fly five routes a week, LHBP, EGKK, VRMM, SBSV and OLBA, which really contains all kind of destinations. The profit is not really good when just threw them in, but if the RI goes high, the situation maybe better.

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 12:08:10 AM »
I think using A310-300 is a kind of art.

There is only one art in this game:

Fly a leased Concorde at a reasonable (min.250k/week) profit, without killing your fleet commonality. (the only man having (yet) done this successfully is talking to you right now).....[That is btw. not anymore possible, as sami (in this case: curse you) disallows aircraft in C and F class only configurations [they have 0-5%LF] and only than a CONC could really make cash!]

Jona L.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 06:03:25 PM »
The C/F class-only config thing  ..  you can make it work but you must have high company image in order to sell this 'premium only' product.

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »
The C/F class-only config thing  ..  you can make it work but you must have high company image in order to sell this 'premium only' product.

Premium only ha ha ha.... CONC uses HD-C and F seats with my airline (0|96|3) or even (0|0|66)...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.