Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: My airline's idiot employees.  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Frogiton

• Members
My airline's idiot employees.
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
OK so I closed a base a while ago and fired a whole bunch of people. So for some reason, everyone elses morale has to fall, which I find weird cause I would think that if I saw people around me getting fired, that I would work harder. Anyways that's a different matter. So now their morale is all low at like 14, but they're still overstaffed by the usual 7% and getting paid suggested wage. So now its about 7 months later and their morale has gone up a whopping 3 points. This is ridiculous, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't even remember that in 7 months let alone hold a huge grudge against their employer. I'm pretty sure I speak for all other airlines who have experienced the same, that this is just not right.  >:(
No replacement for displacement

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
Re: My airline's idiot employees.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 05:20:36 PM »
When understaffed, morale goes down slowly.
When you fire staff, morale goes down quickly.
When you cut salaries, morale goes down quickly.

When at you are at 100% staffing, morale goes up - very slowly.

When you are over 100% staffing - no difference in how fast morale recovers - same as 100% staffing.

When you give employees a raise, there is a one time jump in the morale (but you are then stuck paying increased costs forever)

The bottom line: when morale is low, you just have to wait it out.  It can take a game year or more....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:41:38 PM by JumboShrimp »

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 06:36:38 PM »
It's only 7 months since yu fired staff and shut a base, you staff are probably still worried that the airline is struggling and lay off's may happen again.  It's going to take a while for your staff to trust their employer again - your lucky they dont strike!  ;D

jordanD

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:57:10 PM »
I take it you haven't been around the airline industry in the real world. There generally isn't a whole lot of goodwill between employees and companies that have laid off massive amounts of workers. Would you really go above and beyond at work if you'd just seen all your friends get fired wondering if you were next?

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:36:32 PM »
I guess it's kind of a double-edged sword. I get your point jordan, but what I'm getting at is that I don't think my "Route Strategies" department should be giving me inaccurate info about routes and everybody else giving me a whole bunch of cancellations because some people got fired 8 months ago now.

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:27:27 AM »
I take it you haven't been around the airline industry in the real world. There generally isn't a whole lot of goodwill between employees and companies that have laid off massive amounts of workers. Would you really go above and beyond at work if you'd just seen all your friends get fired wondering if you were next?

Yeah, I'd be going way above and beyond to make sure my name is not on the chopping block for future layoffs. If anything morale should go up because they were not laid off.....This is why I like Regan, during the PATCO strike he just fired everyone and hired new people that woulden't complain and actually work. I wish we could do that in this game.

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:29:12 AM »
If you really want to make this game "realistic" model in unions, you'd never make any money and your company inbox would be full of complaints because union workers actually had to work instaed of sitting around doing nothing......hmm, feature request?

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 01:30:24 AM »
If you really want to make this game "realistic" model in unions, you'd never make any money and your company inbox would be full of complaints because union workers actually had to work instaed of sitting around doing nothing......hmm, feature request?

Argh unions seem to be an airline CEOs worst nightmare from what I've read. Bad enough in the real world, let alone when I'm trying to have fun on here!
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

jordanD

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 06:51:44 AM »
Yeah, I'd be going way above and beyond to make sure my name is not on the chopping block for future layoffs. If anything morale should go up because they were not laid off.....This is why I like Regan, during the PATCO strike he just fired everyone and hired new people that woulden't complain and actually work. I wish we could do that in this game.
It really wouldn't help since airline layoffs are based on seniority.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »
It really wouldn't help since airline layoffs are based on seniority.

Unless it's pilots in which case the more senior and higher paid pilots are laid off and the younger less experienced (and hence less paid) pilots are kept to further reduced costs. Example, Thomson Airlines in the UK when it laid off over a hundred pilots in 2008 or 2009 (my friend was one of them).
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 03:12:51 PM »
About a year ago FedEx Express had some pilot furlows and my dad avoided it and I know he didn't start hating FedEx afterwards, and now, nobody ever remembers about it so, I can't understand the employee morale deal.

Offline Name_Omitted

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
Because it keeps coming back to the top...

You are assuming that there is a direct correlation to how well someone works, and weather they get laid off.  Simply put, in a large corporations, people will invest where they think their future is.  Just because top management understands how a layoff is implemented does not mean that the line workers do.  People may not understand who made the cut, and therefore have no way of knowing if they will make the cut next time.

Perversely, if the workforce does not understand the layoffs and feels they personally do not have power over which list they end up on next time, there is a disincentive for efficiency.  1) it proves that the last round of layoffs were too much to run a smooth operation, and the company can not afford any more cuts. 2) it gets individual workers more overtime so they can put their affairs together before the next round of layoffs.

Believe me, people remember.  I have worked places where other workers tell me about a "black Friday" that happened 4 years previously.

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »
Ok, regardless of morale or whatever, do people actually work more inefficiently than they would before a cut almost a year ago?

Offline MidlandDeltic

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Yes.  Large lay-offs indicate all is not well, hence employees will think "Am I next?", or "How long will company survive?" Employees will also start looking for other jobs and leaving.  This further unsettles remaining staff, and so the spiral continues.  May not seem logical, but a point can be reached where you think "Why bother? It's all going down the pan".

Been there.

MD

Offline Name_Omitted

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 06:57:19 PM »
Ok, regardless of morale or whatever, do people actually work more inefficiently than they would before a cut almost a year ago?

That depends.  Efficiency from which perspective.  Large layoffs fundamentally change the game.  If you, as an employee, can no longer expect to be at the company for awhile, your perspective shifts from being part of a long term team to getting what you can before you get sacked.  If that means finding somewhere else to go, you go.  The company then needs to hire someone to replace you.  Efficiency is reduced in either case.  Anyone who is planning a major layoff also needs to plan for a less efficient work force, which is why major layoffs don't happen more often.  There is a cost to offset the benefit of a lower payroll.

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 07:22:36 PM »
But it's not like I'm in financial problems where people could be cut at any second, it was a one time hub cut, if they weren't at that hub then it doesn't affect them.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 05:12:35 AM »
But it's not like I'm in financial problems where people could be cut at any second, it was a one time hub cut, if they weren't at that hub then it doesn't affect them.

Even if the employee model in AWS was that sophisticated, and it's not even remotely close to that, you actually did fire a lot of people at your HQ when you close a hub.  When you open a hub, you increase the employee count in your main headquarters by some 30%.  And, when you close said hub and fire all the workers not needed any longer, you just fired a third of everyone in your HQ.  So you actually fired a LOT more people at your HQ than you did at your hub.

That won't be forgotten ever.   In companies that are heavily-unionized in particular, layoffs are never, ever forgotten.  And I speak from experience on that -- and not a week goes by where I don't hear people make excuses about doing something, or labor rules existing because of, layoffs that occurred, quite literally, decades ago.  Seniority rules the day and many employees have worked for decades with little turnover, so everyone around can remember when the cuts were made.  Union chairman will point towards events in the distant past and workers will rally around that time that 'the man' screwed them all over and it will not only not be forgotten but it will be used as an excuse for agreement/policy/rule changes for decades.

Job Security and the stability of one's employer are the single most important factors in how dedicated ones employees are.  Employees that feel secure in their job, that haven't seen their employer face any problems or have to lay any off, are motivated to work harder far more than paying them more.  When you take that away, you virtually never get it back if your workforce is one that tends to stay very stagnant (i.e. you're not replacing workers who experienced the 'bad times' with newer ones who still think you're a stable company because they've never experienced it).  Once a company is exposed as weak, employees will likely never again have that same feeling of security that they had previously.  Absolutely not in mere months, certainly not in years, and if they're lucky it'll only be a decade or two to recover.

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 05:18:50 AM »
Ok, but can they see that I fired employees working for the new hub or in result of the new hub, I can see where they wouldn't be to happy if the company was going through financial issues and layoffs occurred then. This was a one time hub cut. Can they see that they are working for a secure airline that is making 48 million pre-tax profit a week with over-suggested wage. That is like a dream job. So I can't see why after a year and a half or even in the first place that they got super mad to the point they worked innefficiently and caused delays and even cancellations.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 03:06:04 AM »
If I worked for an airline making so much money, I'd wonder why they didn't just keep the extra staff on until the jobs opened up at a different hub. I'd be especially peeved if new people were hired in the last 12 months elsewhere, and they kept their jobs while people at the closed down hub lost their jobs. It'd tell me that while my job might be safe, the airline actually couldn't care less about me, so why should I put in extra effort for them? From what I've seen so far, it should be possible to do the same thing in game, and simulate everyone employed at the closed hub getting the chance to relocate rather than lose their job. It'd cost a bit more money thanks to being temporarily overstaffed, but it'd keep the workers happy.

Riger

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 12:00:01 PM »
Ok, but can they see that I fired employees working for the new hub or in result of the new hub, I can see where they wouldn't be to happy if the company was going through financial issues and layoffs occurred then. This was a one time hub cut. Can they see that they are working for a secure airline that is making 48 million pre-tax profit a week with over-suggested wage. That is like a dream job. So I can't see why after a year and a half or even in the first place that they got super mad to the point they worked innefficiently and caused delays and even cancellations.

Frog,

It's a computer model that penalizes you based on a staff happiness index which has been negatively impacted by a sudden and significant firing of staff.  They (the computer model) cannot see that the sun is still shining or that you are still making phat profits.  Once enough of the binary code equivalent of time has passed, all will be forgiven and you will be at full staff moral and joy-joy feelings....  or at least the computer will be.

Best Regards
Richard

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.