Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Long Haul - How best to schedule it??  (Read 6143 times)

Offline easy03

• Members
Long Haul - How best to schedule it??
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
Hi guys

I was wondering how best to schedule long haul flights to make sure the a/c you use is being utilised as best as poss

For example if i wanted to start EHAM KLAX 7 days a week with a A332, i can only scedule the a/c for 3 days of flights and find it hard to find other flights to fill the gaps left so the a/c is sat on the ground for long periods. I can maybe get away with another long haul so the a/c is doing 4 long hauls a week but there isnt any other routes with high capacity and short enough to fill the gaps while the a/c is sat on the gound

Any long aul experts out there that can help

cheers

GDK

• Former member
Re: Long Haul - How best to schedule it??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »
Use the 7 aircraft rotational method. You can utilize your aircraft 100%.

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 01:39:02 PM »
Explain the method GDK?

Offline easy03

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »
Yes...please do explain mate

cheers

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »
Yes...please do explain mate

cheers

I'll elaborate on this for you...What GDK is saying is you get 7 aircraft such as the A330-200 you then schedule your EHAM-KLAX flight on a daily basis (M= Flt 001, T = Flt 003, W = Flt 005, T= Flt 007 etc) rather than scheduling it per week ( M T W T F S S = Flt 001) you then allocate Flt 001 to your Monday Aircraft (Number 1) Flt 003 to your Tuesday Aircraft (Number 2)  Flt 005 to your Wednesday Aircraft (Number 3) etc until each of your 7 aircaft has the daily EHAM-KJFK Flight allocated. That way each aircraft is only flying the EHAM-KLAX route 1 x per week.  What you then do to fully utilise the aircraft is find another Long Haul Route eg  EGKK - KLAX and do exactly the same thing and continue to add these ultra long haul routes to each aircraft until is it utilised as fully as possible. Unfortuantely I cant show you a diagram of how this will look as I'm currently not doing these Ultra LH routes.  Hopefully someone else can add a screenshot of what I mean.  

Offline easy03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
Nice one mate, if someone could find a screen shot that would be handy aswell

cheers

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 04:51:12 PM »
Hmm... I'm not very good in explaining, hope you understand what I try to deliver. :)

Normally we'll open a routes to fly from Mon to Sun (one single route) and put it on 1 aircraft. For each aircraft, there must be 1 route that you got to sacrifice 1 day (usually the lowest demand Sat) to make a slot for A-Check. For long haul flight, you can't fly them daily with the same aircraft. Hence, you'll fly alternately and use 2 aircraft for 1 destination, and again you got to sacrifice 1 day.

The 7 aircraft rotational method is to create the route flying to the same destination but with 1 individual aircraft each day.

Aircraft 1 -> 9M-AAA
Mon 1200 - Tue 0600         WMKK - AAAA           Route AAAA   1------
Tue 0800 - Tue 1800          WMKK - BBBB           Route BBBB    -2-----
Tue 2000 - Wed 1400         WMKK - CCCC           Route CCCC   -2-----
Wed 1600 - Thu 0900         WMKK - DDDD           Route DDDD   --3----
Thu 0900 - Thu 1600          WMKK - EEEE           Route EEEE     ---4---
Thu 1800 - Fri 0800           WMKK - FFFF            Route FFFF     ---4---
Fri 1000 - Sat 1500            WMKK - GGGG          Route GGGG     ----5--
Sat 1500 - Sun 1100          WMKK - HHHH          Route HHHH     -----6-
Sun 1300 - Mon 0600         WMKK - IIII              Route IIII        ------7
Mon 0700 - Mon 1200         A-Check

Aircraft 2 -> 9M-AAB
Tue 1200 - Wed 0600         WMKK - AAAA          Route AAAA    -2-----
Wed 0800 - Wed 1800        WMKK - BBBB           Route BBBB     --3----
Wed 2000 - Thu 1400         WMKK - CCCC          Route CCCC    --3----
Thu 1600 - Fri 0900            WMKK - DDDD          Route DDDD    ---4---
Fri 0900 - Fri 1600             WMKK - EEEE           Route EEEE     ----5--
Fri 1800 - Sat 0800            WMKK - FFFF           Route FFFF     ----5--
Sat 1000 - Sun 1500          WMKK - GGGG          Route GGGG    -----6-
Sun 1500 - Mon 1100         WMKK - HHHH          Route HHHH    ------7
Mon 1300 - Tue 0600         WMKK - IIII             Route IIII        1------
Tue 0700 - Tue 1200          A-Check

No more routes of 1234567 or 12345-7. All routes will cover 1234567.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:29:54 PM by GDK »

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
Got It!

Thanks, that's very helpful. Now I have to decide if I want to risk going ultra long haul....

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »
Well, ultra long haul is quiet a risk. You must make sure your company is ready for it. CI got to be high enough, your fleet got to be of the pax preference and no standard seating configuration if possible, and also no tech stops.

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 08:52:11 PM »
Well, ultra long haul is quiet a risk. You must make sure your company is ready for it. CI got to be high enough, your fleet got to be of the pax preference and no standard seating configuration if possible, and also no tech stops.

In previous games I didnt have any major difficulty with standard config on the ULH aircraft getting it filled up - competition is more what you have to worry about, also fleet does not have any part to play so ylong as you have aircraft that can fly the distance.

Offline JonesyUK

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »
I tend to use two planes. 3 LH flights and 3 SH in between each. Less faffing about IMO.

Offline andyair

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 10:13:03 AM »
Long Haul is one of the biggest headache. I used to doing great in LAX, making near 4 million profit every week. but not after I leased 2 (747-8) for LAX to Sydney. They drove me to closed the airlines. First you are not going to make alot of $ when you first start a long haul, (because of the route image.) Second they the cost of leasing and operating a big aircraft are too high. Unless you have a huge capital. So you better think twice. 

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 06:30:11 PM »
The planes don't make money right away to start, but remember, you've paid that lease in advance for 4 months. By the time making enough to cover the lease actually matters, your route image is high enough and your loads solidify, and the cash comes roaring in. Has worked for me in previous games, should works in this one.

(at least that's what I'm hoping)
 ;D

Offline MidlandDeltic

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 10:20:42 PM »
The planes don't make money right away to start, but remember, you've paid that lease in advance for 4 months. By the time making enough to cover the lease actually matters, your route image is high enough and your loads solidify, and the cash comes roaring in. Has worked for me in previous games, should works in this one.

(at least that's what I'm hoping)
 ;D

Until someone drops on a route you are 100% supplying with a smaller aircraft and halves your LF :(

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 02:16:34 PM »
Midland,

Here's another weird question - actually looking for advice - I need to put a plane on some LH routes I've scheduled. Now, I've been using A33s but the market is bone dry for them at the moment, and so was considering getting some 764s and assigning them so I don't lose the slots.

Is it worth giving up the fleet commonality to hold the slots (consider that YVR is starting to get pretty tight on LH appropriate slots)?

ACfly

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 05:45:03 PM »
I have 7 B767 ER and 4 routes which are all LH >5000nm  from GUM: SFO, YVR, LAX, SEA.. I am trying to optimize the schedule and flight time so as to minimize airport wait time.. I used the technique above: rotate the flights on each aircraft.. However I am now getting some really odd departure times and arrivals (which I know will impact Load and CI)... So I am debating whether or not to even optimize flight time and live with the longer down time at airport.

I tried to also fly these big planes to smaller nearby airports to minimize downtime, but it is a hit and miss.. and some destinations only get one flight a week.

Will I get better financials leaving things as is or try to optimize downtime of aircraft but risk CI and load impact.

Riger

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
Hi there,

This image shows the concept, but is an example of how it is done on a short haul schedule rotation.  The long haul and ultra long haul are less "detailed" and sometimes only cover 5 or 6 destinations, not the 21 or so in this example.

Best Regards

Richard

Ansettaddict123

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »
Hi there,

This image shows the concept, but is an example of how it is done on a short haul schedule rotation.  The long haul and ultra long haul are less "detailed" and sometimes only cover 5 or 6 destinations, not the 21 or so in this example.

Best Regards

Richard

I feel so sorry for those aircraft:P
look at that utilisation!

Riger

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:00:32 PM »
I feel so sorry for those aircraft:P
look at that utilisation!

Ha Ha, I cannot believe I used to work those machines so hard.  Nowadays they sleep at night and the bigguns do all the grunting around the clock!!

forsberc

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 09:28:04 AM »
As this is such a great thread, I felt I should post this image in order to help explain this concept even further.

Take note, the schedule shifts forward one day for every aircraft. I left the B Check only on Wednesday in order to B check on different routes, and not the same route for 7 days.

Cheers,
Cameron

edit: I just noticed I captured it wrong. Disregard the bottom row.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.