Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: crew and maintenance cost?  (Read 1128 times)

trent_768

• Former member
crew and maintenance cost?
« on: November 23, 2010, 04:21:13 PM »
Well, i've played several game world before but i always forgot to ask about this ;D

1. In the last column of the engine commonality section (Fixed maintenance costs / month / JT3D      235 707 USD) what does this means? Is that the maintenance cost of a single JT3D or the cost for all engine?

2. And for the crew training cost,isn't that a little bit to much for a monthly fee?

Thx! ;D ;D

Offline alexgv1

• Members
Re: crew and maintenance cost?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:29:21 PM »
Well, i've played several game world before but i always forgot to ask about this ;D

1. In the last column of the engine commonality section (Fixed maintenance costs / month / JT3D      235 707 USD) what does this means? Is that the maintenance cost of a single JT3D or the cost for all engine?

2. And for the crew training cost,isn't that a little bit to much for a monthly fee?

Thx! ;D ;D

1. It is a commonly misunderstood typo. That is the fleet commonality costs over all the engines of that type, not per engine.

2. Well pilots are expensive to train, type ratings can cost up to $100,000 for one pilot.

Hope this helps.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 04:44:33 PM »
2. Well pilots are expensive to train, type ratings can cost up to $100,000 for one pilot.

Talking about training costs shouldn't they drop substantially if you are not adding fleet group or staff?

I know it wouldn't go totally but, for example say you have a fleet solely of B737s. If you don't add any new aircraft and therefore staff surely all your staff would be trained in using them and the costs should drop big time.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
Talking about training costs shouldn't they drop substantially if you are not adding fleet group or staff?

I know it wouldn't go totally but, for example say you have a fleet solely of B737s. If you don't add any new aircraft and therefore staff surely all your staff would be trained in using them and the costs should drop big time.

Yes using the same fleet should drop costs. Using your example, if you flew solely 737s, you would only need 737 simulators. Also I understand what you say about staff, but say in DOTM, you don't hire all your pilots in 1981 then they retire at the end of the game in 2000 or whenever it is.

I believe the game represents a dynamic staff environment when staff, including pilots are always coming and going so the costs involve getting the new replacement staff (and extra hired ones for growth) up to the minimum qualifications. i.e. There will always be staff who need training up. Staff may even need extra training if they are promoted, say from HR to management.

However it can only be reduced to a certain minimum costs because of  fixed costs like CAA/FAA administration and the cost of the actual licence, plus the fifty something hours in a simulator (which cost about 1000/hour to run). Which you can only get so cheap.

Online Name_Omitted

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »
simulator (which cost about 1000/hour to run).

Seriously?  What in the WORLD makes them so expensive to run?

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 05:40:38 PM »
Seriously?  What in the WORLD makes them so expensive to run?

Doubt this list is comprehensive but:
  • Electricity
  • Hydraulics systems
  • Replacement parts (projector bulbs, etc.)
  • Staff costs (training pilot, technician)
  • They are very expensive to buy in the first place

I have been in several and I know they keep them running 24/7 because it is the only economically viable way to use them.

Online hershey1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 07:51:02 PM »
Air Canada , found a good way to reduce cost on their
simulators in real life by letting other airlines around
the globe,leasing out late night hours not being used
bny their own flight crews.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.