Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Long haul from UK to Asia/Americas  (Read 1274 times)

Offline raptorva

• Members
Long haul from UK to Asia/Americas
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:00:37 AM »
Hello,

I've been looking at my route options at it appears that I can meet some demand in the 3000-5000nm range with 3-class configs on either the DC-8-53, 707-220 or VC-10. Considering I have only limited runway length available it seems the VC-10 might be the better bet as an all-rounder.

Any ideas?

Daemus

• Former member
Re: Long haul from UK to Asia/Americas
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:37:33 PM »
I personally believe the VC-10 is a better choice over the other two from an operating costs standpoint but you don't get the pax capacity you do get with the other two (can be less impacting with intense scheduling but if you do a fairly normal daily-routes schedule, the pax capacity will hurt revenue).

The 707 has the benefit of being in production at the moment but the 53 is just around the corner (couple months) with a smaller order backlog. You should get quotes on delivery dates for each and see which one you would get faster. See if there is a large difference (extra 1 yr wait for one over the other, I would decide purely on that - planes can always be replaced later but you can't get back lost time). For the VC-10, you are looking at a few years before first production, and that is a long time to wait with money tied up while competitors pop up and fill the routes you planned on flying and use up all the slots, not to mention the money would would have been making with a few planes in the air during that time.

If you really need a jet for your plans and you have the money today to start leasing, I would jump on whichever jet you can get the quickest.

Offline raptorva

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:47:39 AM »
actually done some more research and the Convair 880 could also be used on my routes currently flown by DC-6's as it could make the range primarily though if I configure it to have less seats and in a 2-class config, it might have more range and negate the need for some tech stops.

Never flown a Convair though so any advice/tips is welcome as to whether they're good to use or not.

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:18:13 PM »
I went for some used Convair 880s and 990s in Jet Age 2.  And then got rid of them as soon as possible.  Given their range is quite limited (c. 1700 NM tops), they aren't really in the same class as VC 10s, DC 8s or 707s.  For the number of pax they carry they are super thirsty: compared to 727s or later Tridents (which have similar capacity and range), the 13,000+ kg/hr fuel consumption is three times greater per passenger.  They barely made any money for me on routes that made good profits with Tridents and BAC 111's (and I would assume, DC 9s and 727s).  As a short term solution they might work for you: but I wouldn't sign any long-term leases.   

Offline raptorva

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 06:33:13 AM »
well as the jets all have long waiting lists, I've ordered some Britannias to fill the gaps and in the meantime use used DC-6 aircraft until I can order something more suited to my roles such as the VC-10.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:59:33 AM »
I used Britannias in beta Jet age, and though much has changed since, I still think they are great aircraft; I had over $1 mil/week income on route NRT-HNL.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.