Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: The way of the scheduler  (Read 1185 times)

Terrence Klaverweide

• Former member
The way of the scheduler
« on: October 08, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
I gotto ask, seen it a couple of times now.

When I plan a route, I make one, then let it fly 6 or 7 days. Same flightnumber...

I see people however, who plan a flight on -say- Monday, then copy that flightplan for all other days, so each day has a different flightnumber.

Why would one do such a thing? I am curious...

Offline RushmoreAir

• Members
Re: The way of the scheduler
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »
Sometimes its just so you can see separate load factors.  If it's the same time and same day, you can differentiate the 7 "routes" by day so as to see separate LF.

Other times, the scheduling is so tight that they can't fit an A-check in with a normal 7-day schedule.  So they put each route right on top of another, clearing enough time so the A check can fit in.  This is just basically adding up all the little gaps in your schedule and putting it into one big gap.

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 03:23:57 PM »
Or they could be planning to operate the aircraft on a 7-day schedule later, where you take 7 aircraft, and fly each day of each route on a different aircraft, so that you can fly all routes 7-days a week and still squeeze an A-check in.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »
^^^ what he said.

It is all a matter of choice. 
It is often better to do it that way if you are flying super LH flights.

Terrence Klaverweide

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 04:57:45 AM »
Grazie.. Thanks guys.

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 05:38:42 AM »
I have found out that it is also useful in domestic flights. Is one technique to get the most out of your airplane.

For example: In ATB I'm based at San Francisco, and my most profitable routes are JFK, EWR, HNL, BOS and LAX. So, if I select one airplane to do ONLY JFK and EWR 7x weekly, that airplane will end up spending time in the tarmac nearly 5 hours (asuming that those two flights took 10hrs). AND as I don't have a route with suficient unmet demand left that takes 5 hours to fly, there's no choice but keeping it on the ground unless I like to dump fuel.

Sooo...there I apply the LH strategy. In order to make the most of my airplane and to avoid sitting it for 5 or so hours, I schedule it to many different destinations 1x weekly so the only time spent in the apron is during turnarounds or A check.

For this strategy, you should have at least 6 aircraft so you can cover the different routes 1x EACH day making it a 6x weekly frequency, and the best part is that your airplanes were always flying with no dead time to kill. Isn't it what you would like with your AC?

Hope I made myself a point, I'm not very good at explaining  :laugh:

Offline raptorva

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 05:48:07 AM »
what I do is have x7 days always unless there's maintenance where I don't fly that day and either stretch the turnaround of the other flights or add another flight on that day on the same route at a different time if that would fit.

Offline Tiberius

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
I also use it, for the reasons already explained.  Once it is filled out, you can get some really awesome aircraft utilization, and have very little "white space" on your schedule.

I wish there was an easier way to spread the schedule out over many aircraft, however, and I wish something could be done to consolidate the route information so it doesn't look like I have 7 times as many flights as the competition...if everyone did it the pages would scroll down into infinity...

But in any case it lets you have that much more control over your routes and aircraft...sure makes upgrading types of aircraft a pain though...

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 06:06:07 PM »
Actually, they say there is a reason. I don't see it and I don't do it. My schedules always are 1234567 and A/B checks always get done on time without interupting anything. I dunno, maybe people have fun scrolling up and down alot. :-\

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.