Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: What exactly are we fighting for?  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Frogiton

• Members
What exactly are we fighting for?
« on: September 07, 2010, 04:00:59 AM »
What stats determine what an Alliance's score is? For example, I'm just wondering how BIG is negative when their alliance is just about as good as ours yet we're positive 214.

Are the determinants just a compilation of everything in the airline stats page and 4 sub pages (general, airline, route, aircraft)?
No replacement for displacement

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: What exactly are we fighting for?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:29:38 AM »
BIG is so negative because of so many bankruptcies and relatively few top-ranking players.

You lose points ("cumulative" score) for bankrupting as well as a host of other things that normally occur on the way to bankruptcy (strikes, fines, etc).

You each airline gets points ("variable" score) for being in the Top 20 of the following categories (if they have more than 10 planes):  company image, total sales revenue (last quarter), punctuality, utilization, profit margin, and pax moved (past 30 days).  Every airline in the Top 20 of each of those stats receives points (#1 gets 20 points, #2 gets 19 points, etc, etc, etc)

In theory a singular massive airline with superb efficiency and could theoretically earn 140 points all by themselves if they were #1 in every single category which would be virtually impossible.  It also means that even being a couple airlines short of your competition can be a huge detriment.

The scoring methodology brings up some interesting results... like if you look at it, SkyNet and Silver Star the #2 and #3 positions are quite some distance away in points.  But, in terms of airline performance we're virtually identical in score, SkyNet is just losing a lot of points due to a very large number if early bankruptcies.  GlobalSky is in much the same basket, though I think their bankruptcies have been occurring along a more steady trend as the game has progressed.

Another interesting thing is that GlobalSky has almost the same number of "variable" points as both SkyNet and SilverStar, but they don't even have a single airline in the Top 10 of Pax (barely even Top 20 honestly) and only a small presence in Revenue, so they really have none of the "mega-airlines".  They have a much more significant presence in things like punctuality and utilization, so they're earning points off different metrics that are "keeping them in the race" so to speak.

WorldSky is absolutely, utterly dominating in Europe where it's incredibly easy to maintain high utilization, high pax figures, and high profit margins, and did a superb job of locking in some of the biggest US bases as well (sans DFW :P ) earning them top-ranks in pax -- and as a result of that, and the fact they've done a remarkable job of having virtually no BKs, they are dominating the scoreboard.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:48:20 AM by Sigma »

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 04:40:36 AM »
One large part of it is the same reason you've been running away from us (GlobalSky) in score, bankruptcy of member airlines.  We currently have a cumulative score of -169 and they have one of -186 whereas you guys over at star have only a -77.  I assume that for all of the alliances most of that negative value is from bankruptcies, except probably with MegaFly since I doubt they've had 34+ bankruptcies already.  I can only guess that someone's airline(s) must have died via neglect over there and added hits for staff strikes and missed maintenance.

here's the list of stats that go into variable score from the manual:

The variable score is calculated based on the statistics visible on the Airline Statistics page. The stats included in the calculation are: total sales revenue, profit margin, company image, fleet utilization, transported passengers, load factor and punctuality. The aim is to not to measure how large the airlines are but to measure how well they are managed (but not to give too much emphasis on very small airlines that are easily managed for best efficiency). For each score segment the top 20 airlines of each statistic are awarded points (20, 19, 18, 17 ...etc), and if this airline is a member of some alliance those points are added to the alliance's variable score. If some airline in this top 20 has less than 10 aircraft in operation it is excluded from the score calculation.

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 04:55:40 AM »
BIG is so negative because of so many bankruptcies and relatively few top-ranking players.

You lose points ("cumulative" score) for bankrupting as well as a host of other things that normally occur on the way to bankruptcy (strikes, fines, etc).

You each airline gets points ("variable" score) for being in the Top 20 of the following categories (if they have more than 10 planes):  company image, total sales revenue (last quarter), punctuality, utilization, profit margin, and pax moved (past 30 days).  Every airline in the Top 20 of each of those stats receives points (#1 gets 20 points, #2 gets 19 points, etc, etc, etc)

In theory a singular massive airline with superb efficiency and could theoretically earn 140 points all by themselves if they were #1 in every single category which would be virtually impossible.  It also means that even being a couple airlines short of your competition can be a huge detriment.

The scoring methodology brings up some interesting results... like if you look at it, SkyNet and Silver Star the #2 and #3 positions are quite some distance away in points.  But, in terms of airline performance we're virtually identical in score, SkyNet is just losing a lot of points due to a very large number if early bankruptcies.  GlobalSky is in much the same basket, though I think their bankruptcies have been occurring along a more steady trend as the game has progressed.

Another interesting thing is that GlobalSky has almost the same number of "variable" points as both SkyNet and SilverStar, but they don't even have a single airline in the Top 10 of Pax (barely even Top 20 honestly) and only a small presence in Revenue, so they really have none of the "mega-airlines".  They have a much more significant presence in things like punctuality and utilization, so they're earning points off different metrics that are "keeping them in the race" so to speak.

Eh we both posted at the same time  :)

Yeah and I'm contributing zip to our score at the moment, though I suspect by tomorrow I'll be adding a few points for utilization at least.  I was before I got all lease happy over the long weekend anyways, and I still don't have all the scheduling straightened out  ;D

We've had an intermittent stream of people who've bombed out or who've had to restart, plus we did have a bunch of people bankrupt at the beginning to move and whatnot.  Plus a small ding (well small in comparison to the - from all the bankruptcies anyways) for that problem with slots at the beginning  :-[

The scores have been swinging around quite a bit though.  I haven't been paying enough attention to notice if there are any trends other than WL remaining solidly in front, but I doubt I'll worry about score much for at least another year or two.  A number of the stats that go into the variable score can fluctuate wildly while airlines are still developing (profit margin, fleet utilization, load factors, ect).

As to the last, yup we're a slow and steady kind of bunch.  Hopefully we close as the race goes on  ;D

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:20:27 AM »
WorldSky is absolutely, utterly dominating in Europe where it's incredibly easy to maintain high utilization, high pax figures, and high profit margins, and did a superb job of locking in some of the biggest US bases as well (sans DFW :P ) earning them top-ranks in pax -- and as a result of that, and the fact they've done a remarkable job of having virtually no BKs, they are dominating the scoreboard.

Its evident planning is much needed for this event. Different way of thinking also with the way scores are calculated. Though I really wished Sami would have limited the amount of BK's a player is allowed as I figured it would factor into (game) play.

I think when its said and done, we will realize that an era has finally died out, giving way to a new one. Something over the past few months I felt was slipping away slowly...

Talentz

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 05:29:53 AM »
I think when its said and done, we will realize that an era has finally died out, giving way to a new one. Something over the past few months I felt was slipping away slowly...

Talentz

That's rather, erm, cryptic.  What do you mean?

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »
There's nothing to run for and the decision is not who's the best, it is who's the most worst members who bankrupt 4x to weaken the alliance (like takeoff for MFW).

Also it's very boring. I'm inactive for more than two weeks and earning already endless money and I know some people with the same "problem"... so if you don't know why and what to fight for, stop playing too.  :)

Offline [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:03:06 AM »
There's nothing to run for and the decision is not who's the best, it is who's the most worst members who bankrupt 4x to weaken the alliance (like takeoff for MFW).

Also it's very boring. I'm inactive for more than two weeks and earning already endless money and I know some people with the same "problem"... so if you don't know why and what to fight for, stop playing too.  :)

Yeah takeoff is a nice kid or oh his is not a good kid ;) can't understand why he now can play in the beginner world...

Yeah the money just keep coming into the account

Offline T8KE0FF

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 08:23:13 PM »
Well I'm waiting till my airline gets totally obliterated off the face of the planet when WorldLink's Moonlight Airways (marco0o0o) gets their seemingly infinite amount of planes (100+ I think). Although my airline is making like 7 million a week.

This thing about the bankruptcies brings me to a new topic. Will alliances that are negative right now be able to recover, like BIG and Global Sky?
No replacement for displacement

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »
Well I'm waiting till my airline gets totally obliterated off the face of the planet when WorldLink's Moonlight Airways (marco0o0o) gets their seemingly infinite amount of planes (100+ I think). Although my airline is making like 7 million a week.

This thing about the bankruptcies brings me to a new topic. Will alliances that are negative right now be able to recover, like BIG and Global Sky?

Hey, we're not negative!  Just close to it  :laugh:

I wouldn't consider anyone truly out of contention, though of course some outcomes are more likely than others.  There are no guarantees against any alliance incurring a huge number of negative points, all it takes is someone who turned automatic maintenance off being unable to log in for a few days, or a staff strike, or someone missing C-checks because they are going bankrupt. 

WL has the points now, but those variable points don't tally over time, they change every time the statistics update.  They do have an advantage at the moment however, because their cumulative score is so much less negative than most of us.  Hat's off to them for maintaining such a solid lead in points thus far, but with a scoring system like this, it ain't over till its over.   ;D

//I can't believe I just typed the word(or not-word depending on how proper you want to be) ain't

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:01:26 PM »

ahem WorldLink thank you. ;)

Cheers,
ICEcold

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 04:33:42 AM »
I wouldn't consider anyone truly out of contention, though of course some outcomes are more likely than others.  There are no guarantees against any alliance incurring a huge number of negative points, all it takes is someone who turned automatic maintenance off being unable to log in for a few days, or a staff strike, or someone missing C-checks because they are going bankrupt.  

We also have those problems, including some people afk for some time (including me as you for sure have noticed), so this is not the point.

The problem of some airlines (in every alliance!) is, and I'm sure this will lead to problems because some people here can't understand strict announcements, they have no experience, they have not understand the game in many points or they just don't care even a little bit about it.

For example: First aircraft DC-10 and flying short-haul? Sami should give you access to beginner games or program you some cool version of Tetris.

These people bring down a whole alliance...

However, this GameWorld will never show which alliance is the best. I'm new to the game compared to some of you, but there are some names everybody know and all of these alliances are at the same stage in normal game worlds and as long as alliances do nothing except cost money and cut your demand to many interesting airports to 50% there is no need to join the best super deluxe uber alliance (that doesn't exist). And Europe and North America only... I can't believe I'm back in such a stupid game world, Daveos, you are so cruel...

Edit:
I have no problems with Newbies, I'm self one, but if you don't feel good enough and/or experienced enough for an Alliance Challenge, join other game worlds and don't lead your alliance into hell. Exactly the same matter why Trinidad and Tobago, Zaire and San Marino never will win a Soocer World Cup.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:36:24 AM by Curse »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 02:03:21 PM »

I think part of the problem is that the alliances don't really do very much.  And one thing they could do, if ran effectively would be to jointly take out other airlines, which, incidentally, is kind of frowned upon in AWS.  The only thing alliance does for me (apparently) is it adds 5 points to my CI.

I think there will be a point to alliances once there is the connecting flights feature built in, so that alliances can, in effect, plan a network that would serve the most passengers, and can steal traffic from other alliances.  Then, the scoring can simply be total passengers carried per alliance, average passengers of alliance member, total revenue per alliance, average revenue per passenger member and maybe some extras.

BTW, I am not too crazy about taking away points for bankruptcies.  It discourages any kind of tutoring that could possibly take place if an alliance with many experienced players a newbie into their alliance.  As is, there is not much of a point to bring to the alliance a player who is not yet established and secure.

Another problem with the alliances (in open alliance games) for the alliance that jumps ahead early to just recruit top 25 players in the game world.  And then, what is the point of the alliances?

Pavlov

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:27 PM »
I think part of the problem is that the alliances don't really do very much.  And one thing they could do, if ran effectively would be to jointly take out other airlines, which, incidentally, is kind of frowned upon in AWS.  The only thing alliance does for me (apparently) is it adds 5 points to my CI.

Absolutely agree with you. Personally I think the added value of alliances is too limited, so with time passing by and new features being added - like the connecting flights you mentioned - it can become more interesting.

As for now I just see it as a learning environment, to help out other players; something I otherwise wouldn't do, since they would be a competitor.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.