Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Base airport may not be at the busiest top 20 airports?  (Read 2012 times)

tm07x

• Former member
Base airport may not be at the busiest top 20 airports?
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:42:19 PM »
Maybe some of you smart people can help me understand how some people have a base airport at DFW?
I thought DFW was on the top 20 list?

Is it a bug or do some people just get the advantage pass?

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: Base airport may not be at the busiest top 20 airports?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »
You can start an airline anywhere you want, but you can only open an additional hub at a base that's not one of the Top 20.

Don't ask why, it just is that way,

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »
Are you sure its not an HQ?

If its a true base, my guess is that when all DAL routes got moved to DFW, that the bases got moved with it...

tm07x

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 03:59:45 PM »
You can start an airline anywhere you want, but you can only open an additional hub at a base that's not one of the Top 20.

Don't ask why, it just is that way,

read the question more thoroughly please.
I'm not an idiot, and you don't have to know how to split atoms to figure out that you can start a new airline wherever you want.
Just curious how you can start or even have a base at the top 20 airports... which clearly seems to be the case at DFW.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:07 PM »
Since DFW just opened (or?) it may be that the airline has first based on the previous airport of the city, and then moved automatically to new airport. Same goes for basing inside Soviet Union which then breaks up .. in these cases the bases are kept open as it would be a bit unfair to close the bases .. but of course have to be considered if it's abused. (so no, not a bug yet again)

And for 100th time also ( ;) ) the whole top20 rule is just part of the first version of bases system and will later go away and it will be more sophisticated..

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »
read the question more thoroughly please.
I'm not an idiot, and you don't have to know how to split atoms to figure out that you can start a new airline wherever you want.
Just curious how you can start or even have a base at the top 20 airports... which clearly seems to be the case at DFW.

Learn to write what you mean please and/or stop being a p*** when people answer your questions.  I'm not a mind-reader.

You didn't ask about additional bases or hubs or anything to indicate you meant a second (or third, whatever) base, you said "base airport".  Your first base IS a "base airport", ya know.

Even your 2nd post doesn't indicate what you truly mean, I'll have to assume based off your smartass reply that you mean how do people open additional bases at DFW when you cannot:  Airlines can get additional bases there by opening a 2nd base at GSW or DAL prior to the opening of DFW.  When DFW opens, those at GSW are forced to move and those at DAL are presented with an option to move.

tm07x

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
Learn to write what you mean please and/or stop being a p*** when people answer your questions.  I'm not a mind-reader.

You didn't ask about additional bases or hubs or anything to indicate you meant a second (or third, whatever) base, you said "base airport".  Your first base IS a "base airport", ya know.

Even your 2nd post doesn't indicate what you truly mean, I'll have to assume based off your smartass reply that you mean how do people open additional bases at DFW when you cannot:  Airlines can get additional bases there by opening a 2nd base at GSW or DAL prior to the opening of DFW.  When DFW opens, those at GSW are forced to move and those at DAL are presented with an option to move.

additional! that's the missing word!
sorry if I offended ya, it wasn't intentional. Anyways, who'd ask about opening a first base at a top 20? :) just saying...

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 06:53:17 PM »
sorry if I offended ya, it wasn't intentional. Anyways, who'd ask about opening a first base at a top 20? :) just saying...

Given the usual assortment of questions asked in the forums, I wouldn't rule out that as a question that could get asked around here...

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 06:58:16 PM »

No worries.  And while I agree the question I thought you asked would be one that's blindingly obvious to me, when you answer probably a dozen or more questions a day here, you learn that usually people are asking ones that make you want to facepalm.  So I tend to start with the lowest common denominator and work up from there.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
And for 100th time also ( ;) ) the whole top20 rule is just part of the first version of bases system and will later go away and it will be more sophisticated..

It would be great if some changes to the bases system could be in place for the next set of games.  It looks like 3 fairly busygames (ATB, MT, JA) will all end between month and a half and 2 months from now.  Hopefully, the new version of bases system will allow new strategies, making the next set of games interesting for veteran players.

In my ATB game, I have 2 bases (main plus one additional).  I have more than a month of playtime left, but not a clear incentive to open another 1 or 2 bases, and take the financial hit (percentage of main based staffing) to open a base - eventually breaking even on the venture around 70 aircraft limit, and no profit that flying additional aircraft (over 70) from new bases would allow.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:13:27 PM by JumboShrimp »

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 03:07:20 PM »
At the end it's always the same; some people invest time and think about the game, make plans and strategys and take advantage of this.

Others don't invest so much time, can do more things not AWS related, but may have some disadvantages.

It works like everything in life.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.