Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Unusually high weather delays?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
Unusually high weather delays?
« on: August 28, 2010, 06:58:10 PM »
All,

Just wondering if any one has been having unusually high weather delays. Most of my delays/cancellations are being caused by weather (around 60%). Starting to really affect my punctuality and cancellations, which is a p'o because I've scheduled everything pretty well to avoid that exact thing.

Anyone else having this issue?

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
Re: Unusually high weather delays?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:04:30 PM »
Delays and cancellations due to weather always (should be) are high. This depends also on which airport you are, so Canada has more problems with this than an Caribbean island and less than Moscow for example.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 07:47:01 PM »
That will happen at any city on a coast line. Its the nature of the beast. Many inland cities get it too. SMF is great example. Lots of valley fog to shut it down for hours at a time.

Offline [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 08:16:51 PM »
That will happen at any city on a coast line. Its the nature of the beast. Many inland cities get it too. SMF is great example. Lots of valley fog to shut it down for hours at a time.

Well in Paris i also getting around 60% of my delays because of the weather

coopdogyo

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »
During the winter in game weather delays rise.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »
As long as you are turning your planes in sufficient time and hiring all the employees you need, of course weather is going to be the source of most of your delays.  It's the one factor that you can't control.

Offline Minto Typhoon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 12:13:06 AM »

But the delays (and cancellations) are significantly higher than in other game worlds.  Others had noticed this earlier also.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 12:26:51 AM »
No it's not.  It's just that since it's finally tracked and scored, people are paying attention.

I'm running the same airline in MT#2 with the same hub, the same mix of aircraft, and I use the same turnaround times.  My overall delays between the AC world and MT2 are the same (fluctuating between 75-85% on-time) and the percentage breakdown of weather delays in relation to all other delays is virtually identical right down to the tenth-of-a-percent.

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 02:42:05 AM »
if you say so Sigma. This feels much higher than the other gameworlds.

i'm with minto. I'm fine with weather delays, etc, being geographic (Everyone thinks Canada has horrible winters, blah blah blah. I'm Canadian. We get it.)

two things:
1 - I noticed the same pattern in the summer and gotta say, as a born and bred Toronto native, majority of days are blue sky and clear - winter or summer. In fact, winter tends to have better flying weather than summer. It gets cold, and we get precip, but bad weather days at YYZ or YTZ are not that common. late arrival is a symptom of other airline problems (porter for example runs close to a 90% on time rating and they fly out of YTZ which is a beast of an airport in bad weather

2 - If this is the case, there has to be some way to offset the effects. So, if I hire extra ground staff, that should allow me to turn planes faster and cut down my time. I don't mind paying the xtra fee...

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:56:48 PM »
Hmm... I can't say that I've every cared about weather delays...

Talentz

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 10:30:48 PM »
Hmm... I can't say that I've every cared about weather delays...

Talentz

Well they can be quite the nuisance if you're serving someplace near a large body of water, Some flights get cancelled completely.

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 11:27:15 PM »
Well L10 and Talentz wait till you're on time is like 80% and your cancellations is approaching 5...then you'll care. LOL. Seriously, it was getting worrisome. It seems to be resolved (and yes, it got resolved before summer  ;D) Don't know if sami changed something or it was just based on season. Will defo cry foul if my on time drops below 80 again on weather (and yes, its a game, but its a simulation and in Canada - thats just totally unrealistic - if Westjet or AC tell you they can't get out of Pearson due to weather and there is just snow on the ground they are lying to you...)

My only caveats are, and this is wishful thinking I know; I know weather delays will go up in winter months. Normal. But, if you live in tropical climates, I'd like to see them go up proportionally as well (so if you're based in PR you should get a lot more groundstops due to storms and hurricanes) to make it fair, and - and this this is REALLY blue sky - I'd like distinctions between countries that handle winter well versus those that don't. So airlines based in Canada and the Nordics, and Russia I guess, shouldn't get the same weather penalty as those based in other locales, because our systems do weather 'weather' better. The airlines on the other hand, not always so much. But if you've got good condition planes and good schedule, you shouldn't be hit as hard...

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 04:01:58 AM »
I cant even remember the last time I looked at my delay/cancellation chart.  :P ;D
Founder of the Star Alliance!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.