Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Number of employees  (Read 2104 times)

Offline jetRush

• Members
Number of employees
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »
Sami,

“Thank You” for the time and effort that you have put into creating and maintaining this game.  It has provided me with countless hours of entertainment and fun, not to mention I have had the opportunity to make many new friends around the world.

I know you are extremely busy but when you have a moment, could you or someone who works for you explain to me why the system requires me to have 23 pilots to fly one plane (L-1011) on one route (KBOS-KLAX)?

Thank you again.

Regards,

John

Offline swiftus27

• Members
Re: Number of employees
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:27:20 PM »
We've been over this time and time again.

The pilots are only working so many hours per week. 

Secondly, Sami increased the employee costs in order to curtail disgusting profits.

Offline jetRush

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »
swiftus27,

Thank you for your response.

I agree with you that pilots can work only some many hours a week.  I understand, according to the US FARs, pilots cannot exceed 80 hours a month flight time. Again, this is something I have heard and may not be correct, you pilots would know this. But according to my simple calculations, my pilots are flying roughly 84 hours a week (flight time 12 * 7 = 84), divide this by the 23 pilots and you get less than 4 hours a week. This just seemed a bit low, don’t you think?  ???

Second, if this is done “in order to curtail disgusting profits”, I guess it is working then because I sure am not make any of those "disgusting profits".  :laugh:

Thanks again for the reply.

Regards,

John

Offline RushmoreAir

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »
Second, if this is done “in order to curtail disgusting profits”, I guess it is working then because I sure am not make any of those "disgusting profits".  :laugh:

Thanks again for the reply.

Regards,

John

Before added staff costs, a few big airlines dominated the game because a) they could fly ABCBA and b) they could do almost anything profitably.  That was not fun for the rest of us, so the new system is in place to prevent that.

samomuransky

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:09:24 PM »
Before added staff costs, a few big airlines dominated the game because a) they could fly ABCBA and b) they could do almost anything profitably.  That was not fun for the rest of us, so the new system is in place to prevent that.

Well, then maybe salary and airline incomes should be somehow connected ;) Big airline can afford better pilots and I believe we all want better pilots so everyone will be more than happy to sacrifice his "disgusting profits" in order to get best pilots...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »
John, it may seem high but imagine this about your pilots:

1.  They have 36 hour schedules (because there's always someone on vacation)
2.  You have to factor in the fact that a pilot isn't always flying a plane.  (they are in the weather room, filing flight plans, pre-flighting the a/c.....)
3.  There are often many pilots on LR flights.  Look up crew rest areas in Google and see the awesome room that few knew ever existed.

Anyways, there is a reason to have many (maybe not as many as we have)... but its either that or raise the income per employee. 

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 10:26:49 PM »
Also keep in mind that the L1011 is a 3 pilot operation, so instead of dividing that 84 by 23, divide it by 7 Now also keep in mind that a pilot can not fly more than 8 hours a day. BOS-LAX is more than 4 hours, so the pilots can not make the round trip. Basic math shows each crew of 3 pilots working about 12 hours a week, disregarding the 2 "extra" pilots here. This means that the pilots are going to be following a standard 3 day work schedule, flying 1 leg each day becasue there is no other leg for them to fly to make 8 hours of flying each day.

That is how I would think of it, at least  :)
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline jetRush

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 11:47:04 PM »
swiftus27 & jetwestinc,

Thanks for the additonal information... When explained that way, it make sense.  :)

regards,

John

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:52 AM »
Speaking of number of employees, here's a question--

I'm trying to keep my delays as low as possible. Is there any marginal benefit to adding additional (say 5% more than necessary) to my ground handling staff? I've got my flights spaced fairly well, but I'm still getting annoying delays and was wondering if any of you had seen that work to reduce them?

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 11:54:05 AM »
there is currently no benefit to having more than 100%.

It would make cool sense because I would LOVE to take away 5 minutes from all of my turn times.   

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:23:16 PM »
there is currently no benefit to having more than 100%.

It would make cool sense because I would LOVE to take away 5 minutes from all of my turn times.   

I am not sure that would be workable (taking 5 minutes from turnaround) making the schedule with the assumption of 5 minute off turnaround, and later somehow losing the 5 minutes could make some flight impossible (such as landing or taking off 5 minutes before the airport closure.

But it might be an interesting variable to control probability of delay (lowering it with additional staff).  That way, you could make tighter schedules with less risk of delay.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.