Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: About game rules (slots, competition etc)  (Read 11989 times)

THI

• Former member
Re: About game rules (slots, competition etc)
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2010, 11:24:33 AM »
swiftus.
dont become my competitor being most hated person by sami  ;D

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
Wasnt trying to.  A random Scandinavian appears to be starting something.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2010, 11:20:59 PM »
You know after all this time, I wonder if I still am the most hated player in AWS...

Someone should throw up some polls on different things so we can create some heated discussions!!

Mahahah

Talentz

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2010, 01:48:50 AM »
You know after all this time, I wonder if I still am the most hated player in AWS...

Someone should throw up some polls on different things so we can create some heated discussions!!

Lol! Probably not, since Sami has put an end to 'airline on airline' agression.  ;)
Founder of the Star Alliance!

THI

• Former member
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2010, 10:47:43 AM »
but the slotproblem must be discussed :(
there must be a way so make players more happier.
i am just wondering, why sami does not offer something to make all happier.

:s

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2010, 01:21:11 PM »
Some people here think that this sim should be won in the matter of day.

Many are impatient.  I appreciate people like 6pak who want to do better and help.  I hate the people that just come in here to complain. 

jest

• Former member
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »
but the slotproblem must be discussed :(
there must be a way so make players more happier.
i am just wondering, why sami does not offer something to make all happier.

:s

I am afraid that what you ask is not possible. See, a small minority of people playing this game feels that there are already too many artificial restrictions.
I think restrictions should be imposed by in-game mechanisms rather than scripted events. One elegant way of solving the slots problem would be companies having to pay to maintain RI at a specific percentage just like CI, This fee would increase with frequency and not only would this solve the slot problem, it would add another possible competitive advantage for airlines ( providing that RI along with other factors would really work ).

As things stand right now, the single only way to effectively compete on a route is using small planes. You can have CI at 100%, have premium configs. run at half price and being a member of the most prestigious alliance and your LF will be only marginally affected.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
Thank you Jest!  BINGO! F100/717 ftw!

I cant count the number of ways to fix this.  Simply drastically increase the cost of slots.  Increase the value of CI/RI.  Increase the value of quality seating.  Increase the value of flight pricing.   I could go on and on.   I have asked for many of these changes but many don't respond in feature requests.  I'd really like some feedback on some of my ideas or would love to see many of your own.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2010, 02:31:27 AM »
I am afraid that what you ask is not possible. See, a small minority of people playing this game feels that there are already too many artificial restrictions.
I think restrictions should be imposed by in-game mechanisms rather than scripted events. One elegant way of solving the slots problem would be companies having to pay to maintain RI at a specific percentage just like CI, This fee would increase with frequency and not only would this solve the slot problem, it would add another possible competitive advantage for airlines ( providing that RI along with other factors would really work ).

Nice, very original idea. Really, if we can get RI and CI to work better in the calculation distribution, the rest will fall in line.

As things stand right now, the single only way to effectively compete on a route is using small planes. You can have CI at 100%, have premium configs. run at half price and being a member of the most prestigious alliance and your LF will be only marginally affected.

Very correct. Its simply easier to flood with frequencies then it is to control the 8 other things that determine if a pax will fly too you. A few months ago, this gap was closer and still worth the effort. Now, the effort to combat this strategy far outweighs the reward.

I don't think it's a hard fix really. I think what Sami is most worried about is making the game more... skill oriented. Making the learning curve harder and thus preventing newer players from wanting to learn how to play AWS. It already takes time and effort to learn the ropes. Further increasing the learning curve could hurt the overall growth of the game.

As is, AWS has seen a huge jump in players from the past year. V1.2 release was by far the largest amount of players online in AWS history. One would expect V1.3 to break that, right?

Talentz

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2010, 02:50:05 AM »
I don't think it's a hard fix really. I think what Sami is most worried about is making the game more... skill oriented. Making the learning curve harder and thus preventing newer players from wanting to learn how to play AWS. It already takes time and effort to learn the ropes. Further increasing the learning curve could hurt the overall growth of the game.

While I certainly understand that desire having a lot of experience with game design, I think his solution (if the whole frequency thing really is that) works against his desires.

Right now the whole frequency thing really flies in the face of common sense.  What unexperienced players do is spend money on RI, they lower their ticket pricing, they improve their seating -- these are all things that make sense to do to combat competition.  But they're not only all woefully inadequate they actually hurt you.  All you've got to do is up the frequency and fly smaller aircraft.  That is not what new players are thinking they need to do.  So, while flying more frequency is easier, and identifying why you're losing marketshare to frequency is easy (rather than losing it because of better seating or pricing, factors you cannot determine), that only makes sense when you come here and read about it.

Offline doing2030@hotmail.com

• Members
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2010, 01:26:19 PM »
Just a thought but could there be some preference for Jet Planes over Props built into the sim?

Given the economics and current fuel environment prop planes are making a comeback but if you look at the regional aviation scene (especially in the US) then in the 90s and early 00s the reduction in prop plane fleet was quiet marked (the emergence of the Regional Jet!!).

Therefore I propose that this is modelled into the game.

People do have a preference for Jet over props and this would go some way (even if very minor) to redress the balance at Slot Constrained airports as it wouldn't be possible to utilise lots of slots with smaller prop planes.

Thoughts?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2010, 01:37:05 PM »
Preferences between different aircraft models, and also preference for faster flight time, is already modeled.

Online spiff23

• Members
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »
not that running a fleet of 50 seat planes will win you more than a bag of peanuts, but I have noticed that my market share has increased when converting ATRs to CRJs on routes against that compete with someone's saab.  It's not drastic, but it's enough to notice.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
Even though I'm not part of AC (or any game at the moment), I feel I should say something about slots.
As it is now, it seems like many players think they should be able to grow the entire time the game world is on. And without a major delay in it.
However, like we know, this can't be the case, nor should it be. As in real life, businesses can't grow exponentially. Though for a couple of years Apple has done that with iPhones, but that's about to change, as other companies get into the markets as well.
So my point is, that this game is much more than just growing up your airline. It's of course that at first, but after that, it's keeping your company running, prospecting, and ahead of every other company. That's what the airline statistics are for.

Now, about the slots. I don't know much about how they are given in real world, but as it was pointed out, the airports probably want as many passengers coming to their airport as possible. Thus, after the initial start, as the slots start to come slowly, I think they should be given in an 'auction'.
So, an airport could inform (for exmple in a news item) about upcoming slot auctions. Any airline could then participate by making an offer on how they will use the slot. There could be a form for this that has some required fields like plane to be used on that slot, route, etc.
After the auction has ended, the game would calculate points for each airline based on their offer and CI and perhaps something more. The slot would then be given to the airline that got the most points. And the airline would be required to use that slot as they offered for a given time, so that they couldn't cheat the system. If they didn't use the slot like they claimed, it would be given to the airline with second highest score.
I don't know how hard it would be to code this, but the point calculation should be pretty simple, with different weight on different items like route length, seat capacity, and those then added together.

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2010, 04:33:14 PM »
The major problem with that is.... it would take forever. I might request it now, win it, but then I'd go to bed, and it would be for another 16 hours or so before I'd be able to schedule my flights.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2010, 06:43:23 PM »
The major problem with that is.... it would take forever. I might request it now, win it, but then I'd go to bed, and it would be for another 16 hours or so before I'd be able to schedule my flights.

...Which is why it is posted in the news section beforehand; it would give the time by which the form must be sent, and it would also give the time when the slot is given. Of course, you'd have to give 1-2 days time to allow people start using the slot, or make it automated like with prescheduling; you make the route, and tick a box so that it will start flying the route if you get the slot.

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2010, 01:24:51 AM »
Regardless of that, people would quickly lose interest in the game if they can't do anything.....

I might apply for a route but then will take a short amount of time. Then what do I do for 2-3 days?

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2010, 11:21:12 AM »
Regardless of that, people would quickly lose interest in the game if they can't do anything.....

I might apply for a route but then will take a short amount of time. Then what do I do for 2-3 days?

hence why I bailed.  I had 3 weeks of nothing to do.

jest

• Former member
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2010, 01:00:30 PM »
It would not solve the problem anyway because small companies would never win an auction with the big boys  :) as most people like to call them.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2010, 05:37:07 PM »
The aurction was not to replace the slot system. It was just a way to introduce the new slots that would come in increments. And by that time, all slot times are already taken, so without this system you would have even less to do.
And like it was suggested somewhere last year, it could reserve a percentage of slots for new(ish) companies.

But yeah, I get it, doesn't seem to work...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.