Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Could someone share their experience with the 720-B...?  (Read 1026 times)

L1011fan

• Former member
Could someone share their experience with the 720-B...?
« on: August 07, 2010, 08:15:25 PM »
Good, bad, indifferent? Plusses and minuses? Thanks all!

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
Re: Could someone share their experience with the 720-B...?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 08:24:20 PM »
If you already have B707 fleet commonality and the range is ok for you, why not?

All in all I'm no fan of the B707, because they have no advantages to DC-8, but a lot of disadvantages. But DC-8 are not easy to get, because an idiot got over 200 of them from the used market  :-[

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:35:19 AM »
But DC-8 are not easy to get, because an idiot got over 200 of them from the used market  :-[

Don't call yourself idiot ;D
I get 64 from used market in 4 game months ;D

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 04:58:41 AM »
Yeah, sometimes I go to bed without extending leases to make other players happy.

;D

To come back to this B720 thing. A very bid disadvantage in my eyes is the instant stop of producing B707-420, the low fuel consumption variant of the B707. The other B707 variants (including B720) are nice until fuel is low, but than you will have very fast bigger problems. So if you use them, only one year leasing contracts.

Also there is a B720 (non-B) variant. Try to avoid using this model. Even with very low fuel prices it consumes much to carry 120pax 2700nm.

Another disadvantages are the four very large aircraft pilots you need.

But, as said, not this problem in Jet Age game world. And for sure not an aircraft you will fly in Modern Times.

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:35:16 AM »
Good, bad, indifferent? Plusses and minuses? Thanks all!

They are okay for shortish long haul (say 2500-3500 NM) but not much good for anything under 1500 NM, and as others have said, rather thirsty on fuel given the 144 pax limit.  So, if you don't want to scramble/wait for 727s, or have good routes in the c.3000 NM range, then why not. I disagree with Curse about the demerits of the 707 family, at least in JT2, because I don't have the luxury of LAX's pax demand.  Hardly any of my long distance routes have demand over 150 so I have no need for DC8s, and fuel costs (at least until OPEC hits) are so low that the difference between the 707 and DC8 is hardly worth worrying about.  (I might change my tune, of course, if fuel costs double).

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:21:28 AM »
You hardly get long haul over 150 pax demand so you don't need DC8. But, only DC8-61/-63 are able to carry more than B707 and the range of the -61 is less than B707 too. Seems DC8-62 is perfect for you rather than B707.

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
GDK -- you are right re the DC8-62 -- it would be in perfect if there weren't 500+ orders in the queue for new DC8s and they didn't wreck the discipline of my maintaining commonality since day one.   ::)  My point is, the advantages of the DC8 family over the 707 family is not so great that you should wait three years for a new one, or be online 23 hours a day like Curse to get used variants you want.  Since I fly almost all my 707s with premium seating they have the range for all my routes and cover the demand for Copenhagen (which for most long haul is in the 120 pax range).  Right now you can get new 707s in three months and used ones come up regularly.  Other than the extra pilot, their only real downside is fuel consumption, which really isn't that big an issue right now.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.