Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Marketing & CI  (Read 1644 times)

GDK

• Former member
Marketing & CI
« on: August 07, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »
Previously, I paid $1m per week on marketing. All general campaign, at my base city (newspaper+billboard), base country (newspaper), base continent (billboard) and whole world (radio). Then I try to cancel the newspaper+billboard at base city and see what happen. I see my CI dropped from 80 to 77.

Immediately after the CI dropped to 77, I add on new campaigns. 2 new campaigns added:
1) newspaper+billboard+radio at base city
2) billboard whole world

Now, I have 5 campaigns running:
1) news paper at base country
2) billboard at base continent
3) radio whole world
4) newspaper+billboard+radio at base city
5) billboard whole world
I'm paying $1.5m per week which is 50% or 5m more than previously.
But, my CI only rise back to 78 and it remain constant there for 1 month already. How could it be like this? *Note that I got a ramp check and got fined but that was after my CI stay at 78.

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: Marketing & CI
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
Between the time that $1M kept you at 80, and $1.5M kept you at 78 (which is an odd number to stop at, I've only ever seen my CI figures stop on multiple of 5) did you add any routes, flights, anything?

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:29:01 AM »
Between the time that $1M kept you at 80, and $1.5M kept you at 78 (which is an odd number to stop at, I've only ever seen my CI figures stop on multiple of 5) did you add any routes, flights, anything?

Shifting routes to bigger aircraft and opening few long haul routes. But I was adding routes constantly and it did not affect my CI when it was at 80, for almost 1 game year.

Offline isuzu777

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 04:40:28 AM »
I'm spending about $1 mil a week, and my CI never seems to get too far above 50. Anyone have any idea why? I've experienced this in past games too.

Sonata Airlines- http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Others/Airline416
~Sonata Airlines- Song of the Skies~

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 06:45:43 AM »
The $1m you paid is all on general campaign or including route campaign? Specific route campaign only helps in route image, not company image.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 08:35:44 AM »
Shifting routes to bigger aircraft and opening few long haul routes. But I was adding routes constantly and it did not affect my CI when it was at 80, for almost 1 game year.

Normally adding more routes won't affect your CI because your marketing expense scales automatically as you add more routes.  So if your CI is 80 and you keep opening routes, the game automatically increases your Marketing budget so that you keep a CI of 80 and you don't have to micro-manage your marketing expenses.

If you cut your budget, then did some things to increase your expense (like opening new routes), that would be why it now costs more to maintain a CI of 78 now than it did before to maintain a CI of 80.  You're flying to more destinations so you've got to spend more money to maintain the same level of consumer knowledge everywhere you fly.  You're comparing two different situations.  If you had never cut your budget in the first place, then it would have automatically gone up to something north of $1.5M (since $1.5M is only getting you to 78 now).

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
The $1m marketing cost was viewed from my weekly income statement. When I comparing my income statement, I paid 1m on the previous week and there after 1.5m for another 4 weeks. So the price is not due to additional routes. And I have new campaign added.

Offline isuzu777

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 09:41:14 PM »
I'm spending about $1 mil a week, and my CI never seems to get too far above 50. Anyone have any idea why? I've experienced this in past games too.

Sonata Airlines- http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Others/Airline416

I have been paying $1 million in marketing per week for quite some time, and my CI still is just 53. Bug?????

Also, my punctuality is 94%, with 1.2% cancellations. Average fleet age is 2.97 years, and I carry 220,000 pax per week. But I can't get far above 50 in CI!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:43:26 PM by isuzu777 »
~Sonata Airlines- Song of the Skies~

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:47:14 PM »
Guys, Everyone pays different amounts of Marketing to get a certain CI.

If you fly just one route, you might get to a CI of 100 for almost nothing.  If you fly 200 routes it might cost $10M/week just to get to 50.  There's a number of variables, it's not just some magic "Spend X get Y image".  Eventually, depending on what you're spending, your CI will always reach a ceiling.  It will always maintain that level until you increase your marketing expense -- so if you're stuck at 53, that means you need to spend some more if you want to go higher. 

50 is one of the 'hurdles' you come across on the way up.  Along the way to 100 there are a number of points where CI will seem to 'stick' and it will take a fairly large expenditure to get above.  90 is one of the largest ones -- it will cost much, much more than it took to get to 90 to get all the way to 100.

Read this here, I explain how CI works in a couple responses to someone's questions:
http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,18435.0.html
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:55:30 PM by Sigma »

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »
Hi Sigma, you answered both their question but leaving mine unsolved. ;)
My condition is added more campaign but CI doesn't go back to 80. It was some sort like a penalty for cancelling a campaign??

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »
Hi Sigma, you answered both their question but leaving mine unsolved. ;)
My condition is added more campaign but CI doesn't go back to 80. It was some sort like a penalty for cancelling a campaign??

I believe the penalty for cancelling a campaign is just money wasted for that week.  It does not hurt CI, if you replaced the campaign with a more expensive one.

It seems the way it works is that certain amount of money spent on marketing buys you a certain level (amount based on your airline, your routes).  If you look at week over week changes and if it is inching up, it will keep going up until it reaches the new level.  It can be extremely slow, especially if the different levels are not far apart.  For example, if you are at 80 and you are spending money to buy you CI of 90, it will take time, and weekly changes will be small.  If you are at 10 and have bought what would be level 90, it will move very fast at start, and then it slows down as you are reaching 90.

If it is not moving up at all, you are either not spending enough, or there are other things that are reducing your CI, such as delays, cancellations, old aircraft etc.

jordanD

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Would having a campaign in my base continent be better than having one just in my base country if I don't have any international flights? I would like to say no and that it'd be a waste of money but I'm not sure if the game engine is that smart to know the difference. Just doesn't seem like Canadians or Mexicans would really care all that much about my US only route map.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 12:06:22 AM »
Would having a campaign in my base continent be better than having one just in my base country if I don't have any international flights? I would like to say no and that it'd be a waste of money but I'm not sure if the game engine is that smart to know the difference. Just doesn't seem like Canadians or Mexicans would really care all that much about my US only route map.

The way marketing dollars affect CI doesn't matter where you fly, think of the "my country" vs "whole world" as a level of marketing, 1-5 and within each level you can have 4 different ad types (news, bill, radio, tv). Just ways to mix and match to find the right amount to reach your desired CI.

For the guy stuck at 50, you've got to throw more money into it. Try another 500-1000k per week :-)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.