Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Can't turn a profit.....  (Read 1258 times)

Roper

• Former member
Can't turn a profit.....
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:38:17 PM »
Can't turn a profit on a line without competitors....
I can't turn a profit.... please help.

I have lease three Fokker 50 mk 100 with the PW125B enigines (1010NM) and standard seating arrangement. All three were bought new, now about 6 months old.
I mainly operate 1 route: Milwaukee -> Orlando with demand at about +/- 500 pax and i supply +/- 350 pax (route image is 100 and there are no competitors)

I operate another smaller route to optimize scheduling: Milwaukee -> RR Washington National  with demand at about +/- 195 pax and i supply +/- 58 pax only three days a week (route image is 95) which gives me a good fleet utilization at 19h.

My load factor stays around 70%, even tough i've been dropping the prices. My company image is 28, which i know is low. But as i've been constantly losing 150.000,-  a month i don't have the reserves to survive kicking in an extra ad campaign.

This is my second attempt at this base, and last time is (with three saab 2000's) i got in the same struggle operating 3 main routes. I eventually bled out and thought it was because of operating three smaller routes and thus having higher advertising costs per plane. But now its all happening again ........  :-[

The only mistake i could imagine i've made is delaying the first ad campaign by three weeks till the delivery of my first plane, which caused my company image to fall to +/- 2 until the campain kicked off.

Anybody any tips? i really hate starting over again....

Thx
Roper (Mosquito Air)

Kontio

• Former member
Re: Can't turn a profit.....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »
The key to turning a profit with small aircraft is flying lots of short sectors (under 500NM or so). I really don't think the Fokker 50 is suitable for MKE-MCO.

Roper

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 04:34:37 PM »
you know, i think you're right  ;D
Don't know what i was thinking...

mikk_13

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:41:03 PM »
if you start out with only props,

fly one main route. The more rķutes cost more than you make due to staff and marketing etc.

So find a good one that is less than 350miles and fly it to death.

good luck

Offline Blur CEO

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »
just wanted to post a example of the difference bet wen props and jets.

1234567      BAW030      2145      2330      DH8C      Blur Airways     
1234567    BAW048    2205    2330    B462    Blur Airways

as you can see the prop leave at 2145 the jet  leaves 30 mins later and still gets there at the same time.

N101PA

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 02:06:28 AM »
I started out with a single used ATR 72-200. I leased two more after a month or so and was turning a decent profit running short, high demand routes at least 4 times a day. I made a decent enough profit to order 5 new ATR 72-500s and built on my original plan. I've now received the first of my second batch of 5 new ATR 72-500s and slowly building a nice regional airline. The key is seat turnover and patience, patience, patience.

Offline raptorva

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 08:41:25 AM »
Patience is definitely the key.
I established the majority of my routes early on with Boeing 732's and Fokker F.50's to get income in. The best practice is to fly on as fewer routes as possible as often as you can to fill the demand, particularly with small aircraft be they jet or prop.

Also be sure to check how much you're leasing the aircraft for and its price, value and price can be quite significantly different and that can bankrupt you if you're not careful.

Offline Marksw76

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 04:58:08 PM »
Patience is definitely the key.
I established the majority of my routes early on with Boeing 732's and Fokker F.50's to get income in. The best practice is to fly on as fewer routes as possible as often as you can to fill the demand, particularly with small aircraft be they jet or prop.

Also be sure to check how much you're leasing the aircraft for and its price, value and price can be quite significantly different and that can bankrupt you if you're not careful.

I would definitely say patience is the key, but to be honest, with this game once you are in negative you may as well bankrupt and start again. It takes days and days (real time) to get back in the black and you can bet your life that just as soon as you get there you'll be hit with a C check on an old 737 or something, back to -1,200,000 and then its just boring because you can't expand or do anything. Other airlines get bigger, take slots and routes and you are left standing. I find this can be a really dull sim once in the red.

I went really carefully this time, yet the game crashed and I got charged 600k for a C check that I didnt need (and didn't happen) and that was it - game pretty much over. I did get back into it as I had a little mini mission to try and pull it back but I can't be bothered it always ends up the same.

Even though a turn a profit I'll never be able to do anything as I can't get a loan, can't get any planes so you are stuck with what you have and (to a certain extent) the routes you are left with.

Don't know why but this is my fourth airline which has followed the same pattern.... >:( >:( :-[

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 02:39:42 PM »
You've got a couple things going against you:

1. Your planes aren't flying enough flights per day.
2. Your planes aren't big enough to make money on long stage lengths (or any, really)
3. Your CI could be better
4. Your planes are too slow to fly more than a couple hundred miles per hop

Offline Meicci

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 11:45:36 AM »
My current airline is the third and final attempt at this server. Two times I messed up with the fleet commonality thing, but at this time, I have only 1 type of A/C.

15 ATR-42/72, to be honest. Only 8 months behind and i'm already making 1,5 million pre-tax profit.. Low prizes, low competition, and patience, as far as I can say.

So I don't really know about those old Boeings, C-check can ruin your well started game. But C-check with ATR:s.. Only about half a million USD.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.