Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Base Airport: Bahrain  (Read 1101 times)

Offline michael

• Members
Base Airport: Bahrain
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »
Hello,

Can someone provide me some information on how a London based airline can open a base in Bahrain? I tried to do the reverse and open a base in London, but I can only open one in my HQ country - which is Bahrain, Bahrain only has one airport, therefore I can not open a second base. So I lost at how someone can open a base in Bahrain. ;D

Thanks,
Michael

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Base Airport: Bahrain
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:29:07 PM »
The game year is so early that many of these countries are still UK colonies or other outposts, thus allowing UK based airlines to be based there. Though I don't have facts if this was possible in reality back then but I assume it would have been since UK was the "ruler" there still back in 60s/70s.

BigBarron

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:59 PM »
In 1970, Iran laid claim to Bahrain and the other Persian Gulf islands. However, in an agreement with the United Kingdom it agreed "not to pursue" its claims on Bahrain if its other claims were realized. The following plebiscite saw Bahrainis confirm their Arab identity and independence from Britain. Bahrain to this day remains a member of the Arab League and Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf. The British withdrew from Bahrain on 16 December 1971, making Bahrain an independent emirate. Also one of the fellow contries that was used by BP or British Petroleum as a holding. ANd was considered a British territory and hence under British commom law and protection until its "independence" in 1971.

Offline michael

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:07:40 AM »
Thanks for this - can I open a base in the UK? I think in the spirit of competition, I should be allowed to open in the UK, but it seems, in real life I wouldn't have been able to.

coopdogyo

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 05:11:39 AM »
What will happen when Bahrain splits from the UK? Will the UK airlines have to close their bases?

BigBarron

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 05:15:01 AM »
Well in real life this: The Reciprocity Act of 1943=== was actually for India but later became the standard mode for UK Business models...the short version said a UK citizen could own and opperate a goverment international monitored bussiness in any territory aka "possession" however a person of questionable integrity could not

1. Short title, extent and commencement. (1) This Act may be called the Reciprocity Act, 1943.(2) It extends to the whole of India 2***.
3*[(3) It shall come into force on the 1st day of September,1943.]
2. Definitions. In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context--
4*[(a) "British possession" means any part of His Majestys dominions 5*** and includes a protectorate or other territory administered by a British possession as a mandatory on behalf of the League of Nations; and where parts of those dominions are under both a central and a local legislature, the expression shall mean either each part under a local legislature or all parts under the central legislature];

It mean British borne you owned anything anywhere...non=Britania born you could not open a government oversighted international business. In short you probably wouldnt be able to open a reciprocal base in England.

Offline michael

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 07:20:53 AM »
Thanks Big Barron for the information - handy to know that the English can have their cake and eat it too.  ;)

I know I chose Bahrain and perhaps should have thought more about it when I went into it. In this instant, a large UK airline comes in and gobbles up my passengers by using their UK business to finance a loss as they reduce prices in their Gulf enterprise (Dubai, Bahrain)  to force out competitors such as myself. However, I am penalized as I can not compete by opening a second base anywhere to help keep my headquarters buoyant. I will see it out, and operate until I see a bankruptcy warning... hehe

To the early question posted by coopdogyo, in 1971, are the UK businesses still allowed to operate in the recently declared independent states such as Bahrain?

BigBarron

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 03:13:11 AM »
I checked the Ministry of Trades records and it shows that most if not all businesses that were instituted prior to the 1971 declaration maintained their presence within Bahrain after the declaration. The declaration merely meant that the ovesite of the territory by the UK had ended. I would point out a much used exapmle..(*facepalms) British Petroleum or BP maintained its presence in most of the countries it had started in after those respective territories became independant. Later in time those businesses indigenous to the "territory" eventually eclipsed their UK rivals and actual are more solvent that their mainstream contempararies. I do hope this helps..BB      :-[

coopdogyo

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 08:35:41 AM »
I meant in terms of the game. I am in a similar situation, I am based in Pakistan with a base in east Pakistan. When east Pakistan becomes independent what will happen to my base?

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »
Your base will remain there, as I have seen it perhaps unfair to close these bases. And these are usually rare cases anyway.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.