Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: DFW  (Read 2431 times)

altmants

• Former member
DFW
« on: July 25, 2010, 01:56:57 PM »
So when it hits 1974, when DFW opens, will all flights from DAL(dallas' airport) and GSW(Ft. Worth's airport) be moved to DFW automatically? However, Love Field still remains open as an airport after DFW opens. 

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
Re: DFW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 03:18:10 PM »
If this doesn't happen automatically, I think you can send a message to sami about this.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 05:35:19 PM »
The whole Dallas thingy was a bit unclear with three airports and all .. but if I remember the two airports active now both close and operations move automatically to DFW, or something that way?

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 05:42:41 PM »
The whole Dallas thingy was a bit unclear with three airports and all .. but if I remember the two airports active now both close and operations move automatically to DFW, or something that way?

Fort Worth's airport closes and some of DAL's demand moves over to DFW.  In the end, DFW ends up with a lot more traffic than either had separately.  If you're at DAL you are automatically moved, but you can choose to remain if you'd like by contacting Sami.

That's the way you had it before, and is as close as can be reasonably expected for you to deal with it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:02:31 PM by Sigma »

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »
This is way I love this game. There are good and realistic solutions for each possibility and for the rest you can contact the admin and not an expensive and useless hotline based at some small town in India.  8)

altmants

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:59:06 AM »
Being from the Dallas area, here's the FYI

Basically the way History works is the following:

The City of Dallas had an airport that is called Dallas Love Field
The City of Ft. Worth had an airport called Greater Southwest International

Dallas-Ft Worth was built to create one super metropolis airport between the two cities.

Greater Southwest International was tore down since part of the land was used for DFW.

When DFW opened in 1974ish, all flights from Greater Southwest International was moved to DFW.
Most Airlines from Dallas Love Field moved to DFW --EXCEPT for Southwest Airlines that choose to remain at Love Field. This angered the City of Fort Worth and DFW International Airport, which resented expanded air service at Love Field.

The City of Ft. Worth sued Southwest Airlines for not being over to DFW, however the Courts ruled as long as Love Field was remained opened, Southwest, or any other airline could operate their. And thus Continental and American Airlines each went back into Love Field operating out of 1 gate each.

Several Years down the line, Jim Wright, the Congressman from Ft. Worth pushed through the Wright Amendment that limited the amount of flights from Love Field

Leadfoot

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 04:13:10 AM »
Question: If you have a base located at either Dallas Love Field or Greater Southwest International when DFW opens, will your base be transferred to DFW? I ask because DFW is on the top 20 airport list - you can't open a base there normally.

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 04:55:39 AM »
I'm gonna ask something similar. How about Tokyo Narita?
I'm now based at Tokyo Haneda flying both domestic and international routes. When Narita opens, will all my international flights being shifted there and domestic flights remain at Haneda. If yes, what is the status of my base airports? I have already opened 3 hubs + 1 hq, I can't opened anymore new base.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 05:28:23 AM »
To answer both of your questions, your airport main base and all its routes are automatically moved to the new base.  In either case, if you so desire you can opt to stay at the old airport (except if your old airport completely closes like GSW) by notifying sami.

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:44:19 AM »
But Narita only serves international flights. I still have tonnes of domestic flights which (should be) remain at Haneda until today.

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
You must close one of your bases, decide if you will stay at Haneda or go to Narita, open up a base at the other airport, get some aircraft there and rebuild the schedules  :-\

MattDell

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 11:36:16 PM »
I didn't know much about the Ft. Worth's old airport, so I decided to check it out on google...

As a result, I got sucked into this for half an hour: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfields_TX_FtWorth_NE.htm

Offline Kazari

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 03:26:09 AM »
I have now also been sucked in. GSW has an interesting history, all right.

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 05:56:26 AM »
I have now also been sucked in. GSW has an interesting history, all right.

I really should have known better than to click on that link late at night.  Sucked me in too.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »
This is way I love this game. There are good and realistic solutions for each possibility and for the rest you can contact the admin and not an expensive and useless hotline based at some small town in India.  8)
Indeed, With such a lot of players in here, I still feel the personal approach in this game between Admin and Players and player to player.

Offline psw231

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »
  I think that only 1 aiport will move to DFW and that would be GSW. If more than 1 airport was to move you would likely have slot conflicts. Fligts into both airports may move to DFW if there is a change in the route destination distribution at Love Field, likely all international flights.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:08:09 PM by psw231 »

Offline isuzu777

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 04:46:20 AM »
So, if I have my HQ at JFK, and a base at Greater Southwest, will my Greater Southwest base be moved to DFW, and I will have 2 top 20 airport bases??? Sorry, the explanations above didn't make this clear to me.
~Sonata Airlines- Song of the Skies~

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 04:52:58 AM »
If it goes the same as Jet Age, all flights from GSW and DAL will be moved to DFW unless you tell Sami not to move. GSW will close when DFW opens, DAL will remain open with much lower demand.

A known bug is that if you reopen your DAL routes to your bases, you'll start over with a RI=0 as your RI gets moved from DAL to DFW.  Since this is about the only scenario where this would happen, its not getting addressed.

But Narita only serves international flights. I still have tonnes of domestic flights which (should be) remain at Haneda until today.

If this is the same as Jet Age, all HND flights and bases will be moved to NRT unless you tell Sami otherwise.  The other thing to note is that demand is drastically different out of NRT than HND, and HND changes significantly. In the last Jet Age, every single airline that moved from HND to NRT was bankrupt within a game year....

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 06:55:53 AM »
If this is the same as Jet Age, all HND flights and bases will be moved to NRT unless you tell Sami otherwise.  The other thing to note is that demand is drastically different out of NRT than HND, and HND changes significantly. In the last Jet Age, every single airline that moved from HND to NRT was bankrupt within a game year....

I know about the demand and that was all my concern about. As I said, Haneda fly only domestic and some international short haul while Narita handle all international flights. Routes at HND should not be moved to NRT completely as NRT is not the replacement of HND. It is not like Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok replacing Hong Kong Kai Tak or Bangkok Suvarnabhumi replacing Bangkok Don Mueang. Narita was built for 'expansion' of Haneda due to insufficient land at Haneda.

Branmuffin

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 07:04:34 AM »
I really should have known better than to click on that link late at night.  Sucked me in too.

Haha me too!  What a fascinating story; just a couple months ago I was on highway 183 passing under that bit of runway still remaining, and I had no idea of what was right under my nose.  Wow, that makes me want to go check out the site when I go back to Texas this month. I love history so much.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.