Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Stupid passengers?  (Read 2566 times)

jordanD

• Former member
Stupid passengers?
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:53:09 AM »
I was amazed to see that my most under performing route is the one that's done on one of my planes with luxury economy seating (basically a first class seat in economy). Are the modeled passengers that stupid that they don't want a comfy seat on a relatively short flight for economy class prices?  :laugh:

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: Stupid passengers?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 05:07:33 AM »
Pax don't give a flying poo about the quality of your seating in this game aside from refusing to fly High Density more than about 3 hours.  Outside of that, it's all meaningless and a waste of money and potential revenue to configure your planes in any way that doesn't maximize the number of paying seats.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:47:06 PM »
Sigma you are 90% correct.  When all things are equal, I seem to have some luck getting some pax away from my competition if I put some premium seats on board.

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »
Same here, plus, when you work out how much you make off a few C class seats as a portion of how many seats you put in the sky....no wonder airlines suck up to their premium passengers!

Offline JonesyUK

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:36:38 PM »
Sigma you are 90% correct.  When all things are equal, I seem to have some luck getting some pax away from my competition if I put some premium seats on board.

In my experience, I've noticed no real effect, even against competition. You'll get higher loadfactors, but only because you're filling 80 out 100 seats instead of 80 out of 130.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 05:26:24 AM »
You'll get higher loadfactors, but only because you're filling 80 out 100 seats instead of 80 out of 130.

Yes... but when some !@##$$ drops 10x frequency on the route and you still fill 80 of 100... that's when the value of Prem seating shines its best.

The more factors you have in your favor, the better you'll stand against competition. I guess.. it comes down to if you plan on competing in the first place... lol!!!  :laugh:

Talentz

coopdogyo

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »
I would say passengers are stupid. Who want to spend 4 hours flying a Q400 at 4x daily 1200 miles when you can fly an A320 2x daily.

ngaira

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 11:07:21 PM »
Sspeaking of passengers, is it true that passengers love or prefer smaller planes as opposed to larger ones? For e.g you have a route with fairly high demand and theres say two or three 767-2/3s to meet the demand but then a competitor places a "bunch" 737-4s and gets 80% or kills you totally. How does this work? Even when one lowers prices to 0. The market share still does not improve. Besides, I would imagine that there would be huge traffic congestion (of smaller crafts at airports). Does this mean we should not invest in large comfy planes? Or are the passengers in AWS just "exceptional"? Somebody please shade some light on this.

Offline RushmoreAir

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 02:04:24 AM »
Sspeaking of passengers, is it true that passengers love or prefer smaller planes as opposed to larger ones? For e.g you have a route with fairly high demand and theres say two or three 767-2/3s to meet the demand but then a competitor places a "bunch" 737-4s and gets 80% or kills you totally. How does this work? Even when one lowers prices to 0. The market share still does not improve. Besides, I would imagine that there would be huge traffic congestion (of smaller crafts at airports). Does this mean we should not invest in large comfy planes? Or are the passengers in AWS just "exceptional"? Somebody please shade some light on this.

It is only because a 2 737s offer a higher frequency than a 757.  Pax want to have options, and a 5:00 and a 14:00 flight will be more popular than just one 8:00 flight.

Offline type45

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 06:18:43 AM »
how about a 744 vs a 763, both have 7 times a week daily services? ;)

ngaira

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 07:41:31 AM »
It is only because a 2 737s offer a higher frequency than a 757.  Pax want to have options, and a 5:00 and a 14:00 flight will be more popular than just one 8:00 flight.

So what you are saying is that we should bother with large aircraft?

ngaira

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 07:45:24 AM »
I mean shouldn't bother......sorry :)

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »
So what you are saying is that we should bother with large aircraft?

Larger aircraft have lower operating costs and use fewer slots.  So it's a tradeoff between how much profits you'd like to make and what risk you're willing to undertake that someone else may compete against you on that route later.

COUGAR

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 04:23:34 AM »
better seating does give an advantage over competition if the difference in fares is marginal.

its best to opt for Standard seating (as opposed to the temptation of going high-density) as it provides a level of insulation against the competition. If our fares are the same (or mine may be marginally higher say  5%), i find better loads than the competition.

Premium economy could be useful in some cases where an aircraft like the 737-800 is put on a long haul route where it would be load-restricted. You could charge a small premium in such cases to make up for the loss of revenue. in most cases however, premium economy is a waste.

I would go for std economy and std C for short to medium haul(upto 4 hours)

samomuransky

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 06:10:32 PM »
Pax don't give a flying poo about the quality of your seating in this game aside from refusing to fly High Density more than about 3 hours.  Outside of that, it's all meaningless and a waste of money and potential revenue to configure your planes in any way that doesn't maximize the number of paying seats.

Even C class passengers on longhaul? Then, what's the point of different seating types?

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:03 AM »

What about configuring planes like 737-900.  Normally, there are 30 rows of 6 seats for total of 180 Y.
If you put one row of standard C seats (5 passengers), you can configure the remaining Y seats with standard economy as either:
- 29 rows, 174 Y seats with quality "fair"
- 28 rows, 168 Y seats with quality "fair"
- 27 rows, 162 Y seats with quality "good"

Does that designation - "fair" vs. "good" make a meaningful difference, worth sacrificing 12 seats?

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.