Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Marketing  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Mnemic

• Members
Marketing
« on: June 28, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »
I am only flying within Japan, so I was wondering if The game engine knows that marketing within my own country would be the best marketing? Or if the game only thinks that the whole world would increase my company image more eve though I am pure domestic and only news to advertise to my custommers.

I am finding it hard ro gain more rhan 70% ci and therefor just wanted to' know what affected my marketing.

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: Marketing
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 12:59:32 PM »
You can ignore those "regions" that are spelled out in the Marketing area.  Are they are (and the types too) is a scalar of the cost, they don't actually mean anything.  In the end, the geographic area you want to cover can be equated to a Number (say 1-5) and the type of Marketing can be equated to a letter (say a-e).  In effect, all you're doing is choosing whether you want to spend the money  on a "1a" plan or a "5e" plan or something in between.  They're simply giving the descriptions they are for the purposes of gameplay immersion, that's all.

Your CI is a function only of the number of dollars you're spending.  So if it's not going as high as you want it to, you need to spend more.  That may mean adding a simple "municipal" plan, it may mean adding a large "worldwide" plan.  It all depends on what you're spending already and how much more you want to spend. 

The 70% mark is one of those "humps" that you hit that needs a fairly large increase in spend to get over -- how large of an increase depends on how quickly you got to 70.  If you got there in a hurry, you're probably already spending enough to get over the 70% mark with only a smaller increase (say 20% as a guess).  But if you crept your way up to 70% really slowly, you're probably barely making enough to even sustain 70% so it will take a larger percentage increase to get over it (could be much higher than 50%).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 01:03:07 PM by Sigma »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 10:38:19 AM »
Good to know (that the only thing that matters is money, and the gorgraphical regions are irrelevant).

I was wondering though: Let's say I have a plan 3c from your list.  The option is the same (permanent) but the amount goes up week after week.  What makes it go up?  It seems somehow related to the size of the company, but what in particular? 
# of cities serverd?
# of routes?
# of passengers?

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 01:11:19 PM »
Good to know (that the only thing that matters is money, and the gorgraphical regions are irrelevant).

I was wondering though: Let's say I have a plan 3c from your list.  The option is the same (permanent) but the amount goes up week after week.  What makes it go up?  It seems somehow related to the size of the company, but what in particular?  
# of cities serverd?
# of routes?
# of passengers?

It scales according to the number of origin-destination pairs that you're flying.  The more destinations you fly to, the more locations that now need to be advertised in.  The number of flights themselves also seems to have some increase as well (particularly notable earlier in a game), but the effect is a fraction of that of flying to more destinations.  It also, as all expenses are, is effected by inflation, so it'll increase slightly all the time.

That's why Regionals get hit SO hard on CI expense -- because they have so many OD pairs, many of which are generating only very little money.  And that's why sticking to fewer, denser routes is a great way to minimize your expenses.

It also steps, it's not linear.  So, you add routes and add routes and it doesn't go up.  Then you add one more route and it shoots WAY up, sometimes a few million a week, which can be killer for some airlines.  So you thought you were making a ton, then suddenly that last route you added cost you a ton of money.  In reality, that should have been spread over all the other routes you added, but the expense just doesn't go up until you hit a certain number of routes (don't know what those numbers are).

losgatitospeligrosos

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »
does it go up by # of cities served, or number of route pairs? If I already serve IAH from 2 of my base cities, does serving it from my 3rd base city add to my marketing costs? i.e. if I prioritizing which routes to add next at a new base, should I focus on the cities I already serve from the old base?

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 05:49:33 PM »
does it go up by # of cities served, or number of route pairs? If I already serve IAH from 2 of my base cities, does serving it from my 3rd base city add to my marketing costs? i.e. if I prioritizing which routes to add next at a new base, should I focus on the cities I already serve from the old base?

I have the same question.  It should to up more by number of cities served rather than route pairs.  Opening additional bases and flying to the same cities should get some kind of break.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 08:35:10 PM »
Can't say I've ever been concerned enough to bother with which one that it may be.

If I were to guess though, it's probably cities served.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 01:24:52 AM »
Opening additional bases and flying to the same cities should get some kind of break.

It does. I can't be bothered to look over the numbers I've collected but once you fly to a destination, your marketing is considerably less when flying from a base airport to that same destination.

- Talentz

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.