Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Argh!! C-Checks  (Read 1340 times)

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
Argh!! C-Checks
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:02:09 PM »
So this is part vent/part plea for help.

So, chose my airport wisely, stuck to my fleet types, built slowly but surely. Small airport as HQ so growth options are limited but that was always the plan (grow from larger airports).

Then the C Checks began. Blew through my credit line, and now have 15 planes, old enough to start base number 2 (need to start base number 2 or will bleed at the current airport) and no cash. Any thoughts as to what I can do to save money while try to rebuild my reserves. Can't just leave the planes not flying..., but I think if I fly them on routes where there barely turning a profit, its worse.

thoughts?

Offline MidlandDeltic

• Members
Re: Argh!! C-Checks
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »

So, chose my airport wisely, stuck to my fleet types, built slowly but surely. Small airport as HQ so growth options are limited but that was always the plan (grow from larger airports).

Then the C Checks began. Blew through my credit line, and now have 15 planes, old enough to start base number 2 (need to start base number 2 or will bleed at the current airport) and no cash. Any thoughts as to what I can do to save money while try to rebuild my reserves. Can't just leave the planes not flying..., but I think if I fly them on routes where there barely turning a profit, its worse.

thoughts?

How slowly did you build?  I am also at a small airport, now in my third year, with four aircraft (all ATR 72-200) plus two on order, and am now profitable on a quarterly basis including c (and upcoming D) checks.  I basically ordered a used aircraft when a C-check became due to keep the routes flying, then opening new routes when the original aircraft became available after check.  Leasing used aircraft also meant I could stagger the C-checks.  Oh, and I paid off the opening loan as fast as possible (although I did have to take out a subsequent bridging loan on a ten year basis which I paid off in three months).

My advice would be to pay off loans, expand using cash at a manageable rate, and standardise on as few aircraft types as possible.

Regards

MD

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:47:45 PM by MidlandDeltic »

filipebravo

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 07:44:53 PM »

thoughts?

My $0.02
The routes you are flying with BAe could be done with turbo props. You've got to keep in mind the maintenance costs before starting to lease used planes. $500k is way too much to spend on C-Check when the plane is carrying just 72 souls. Now there is nothing you can do about this, just try to survive till your Q400 arrive. In the meantime, you might get better results if you get rid of that 767, try to use a 757 with technical stop. Your commonality costs will lower around 50% even on the remaining 2 types. And try to get rid of the BAe's before C-Check are due. It will not be hard to find more BAe's. Lease them when they have a fresh C-Check.
Good luck mate!!
Regards
Filipe

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:07:57 AM »
Thanks Filipe!

That plea came from my old airline (which crashed and burned). Actually doing fairly well with this one. generating steady income per week and solidyly profitable (the negative valuation is due to the fact that I just made the investment into opening a new base) so still kicking.

We'll see how long I can keep it up!  ;D

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »
Midland,

How are you liking those ATRs? I wasn't too chuffed the last time around with them. What length of segment were you flying with them? They gave me no end of trouble. Need to add props to my mix, so ordered some Q4s...

Offline MidlandDeltic

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 04:42:43 PM »
ATRs doing reasonably (this is my first full world).  Slow but steady expansion, on sectors varying from 50nm to around 700nm from a moderate airport on the edge of Europe.  I have re-configured with 6 business class and 56 economy.  Most of my routes have low demand (a penalty of starting late in the game).  Sector profits from around $800 (low demand short route with competition) to $14,000.

My main problem is getting enough cash to purchase - that will improve the economics.

Cheers

MD

filipebravo

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:59:31 PM »
Offtopic:

Midland, I just realised you compete with me on Cork-Shannon route.  8) Anyway, it's a short route, yield is extremely good, despite LFs around 50% we can both make good profits with it.

Jonny, you might still get some advantage by getting rid of that single 767 mate :)  I had 3 types like you. When I moved back to a couple of types my fixed expenses got lower by 50%. :)

You both are doing well. Starting late in this game is not easy.

Offline MidlandDeltic

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 08:11:17 PM »
Indeed we are Filipe.  In real life, there are no flights on this route!  It's mainly a filler for me, but it covers its costs.

MD

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 04:39:18 PM »
Oh I totally agree with you. And leased a 757 with good range with the full intention of dropping it, except the termination charge is like 7 million and just don't want to eat that. Its turning enough profit to pay for itself right now, though.

If you have any tips on how to dump it without paying the exorbitant charge, all ears.

filipebravo

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 02:40:44 AM »
Jonny: :( I guess you're gonna have to live with it by now. Although, when you get close enough to the lease term, if any C-Check is due it might be advantageous to get rid of the bird before sending it to the workshop, even paying 50% of the remaining. I allways do that if some newer is to come.
Regards!!!
 :)

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 03:28:10 PM »
I just did exactly that!  ;D

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.