Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Impossible to compete against huge airlines  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Mnemic

• Members
Re: Impossible to compete against huge airlines
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 05:40:51 PM »
Not everyone seems to understand my point, my point is not how to play the game, since I do pretty good in my own oppinion.
I never had an airline that didn't had income. Right now I earn 5mil a week plus, and it haven't been hard getting profits since day one. The big problem is just that there is no way you can compete on an existing airline which occupies all slots, no matter how good you are or such, because you can't create any routes to that airport!

I started my airline in a large airport, which was without other airlines, good domestic traffic got more than 500k passengers every 4 weeks and increasing. The trouble is just that I can't enter the real market because older airlines have taken all slots from 6-18. My own goals are not archived yet, but I enjoy being domestic, though I head for getting a more dominant domestic airline, which is hard because of slots being all taken. Not just in the biggest airports, also in some smaller ones and since most of Japan's airports are closed between 21-7am, then I can't abuse night flying and it limits the routes to more bigger airports.

Anyway as of now, I think you can't compete on older airlines owning most if not all slots in many airports, which was my point in my first post.
Let's just hope to get a fix in the future to be able to operate as non regional airline even after game start, because that is not working so well as of now at least if you want to become some of the biggest airlines, which some people has as their goals.

Offline spiff23

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »
I completely disagree and would suggest re-evaluating your strategy.

I joined the Dawn of the new Millenium (previous world game) at almost 25%; failed a couple times.  I then picked Calcutta, India, which was crowded, but had plenty of open routes following a fuel spike like the one we are having now.  This was at least 8 game years in (almost like now).  By about 75% of the scenario, I was one of the largest airlines and based on metrics was larger then my main competitors in India and held my own against quite a few large airlines across Asia (different scheduling rules).

In this game, I'm in India again and do not operated bases from Delhi or Mumbai, the two largest cities with the most demand, and I'm doing quite well and in the top 10-50 range on a number of the rankings.

I would suggest to quit trying to be an airline mogal in Narita, O'Hare, LAX,LHR, Frankfurt, etc, etc (i.e., all the airports everyone wants to operate from).  Pick a mid-size city that appears underserved with decent international demand and see if you can get the hang of the game play in these large worlds.  You could pick a half dozen cities in China alone that could provide fun and quick revenue expansion. 

The large airlines are part of the game and there are a lot of seasoned veterens that like playing, so you need to figure how to out-manouver them or at least fly under their radar long enough to get your self established. With that said, while it's difficult, it is not at all impossible to start late and grow your airline to be one of the large ones...that's really all part of the fun and challenge (for me at least).

losgatitospeligrosos

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 09:11:58 PM »
This is my first game outside of Beginner world, and I joined 3 years (20% into the game.) I joined at CVG where there were 3 other airlines. I then set up my 2nd base at Salt Lake City, where there were 3 other airlines. I am the only airline left at either airport. Competition is not impossible!

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 09:17:04 PM »
Not everyone seems to understand my point, my point is not how to play the game, since I do pretty good in my own oppinion.
I never had an airline that didn't had income. Right now I earn 5mil a week plus, and it haven't been hard getting profits since day one. The big problem is just that there is no way you can compete on an existing airline which occupies all slots, no matter how good you are or such, because you can't create any routes to that airport!

I started my airline in a large airport, which was without other airlines, good domestic traffic got more than 500k passengers every 4 weeks and increasing. The trouble is just that I can't enter the real market because older airlines have taken all slots from 6-18. My own goals are not archived yet, but I enjoy being domestic, though I head for getting a more dominant domestic airline, which is hard because of slots being all taken. Not just in the biggest airports, also in some smaller ones and since most of Japan's airports are closed between 21-7am, then I can't abuse night flying and it limits the routes to more bigger airports.

Anyway as of now, I think you can't compete on older airlines owning most if not all slots in many airports, which was my point in my first post.
Let's just hope to get a fix in the future to be able to operate as non regional airline even after game start, because that is not working so well as of now at least if you want to become some of the biggest airlines, which some people has as their goals.

If your point is in regards to slots, there will never be a solution to that problem.  They can't be.  Just as in real-life.  You can't fly somewhere that has no capacity left for you to fly there.  It defies the laws of physics.  And I truly don't foresee sami putting in slot caps at an airport -- perhaps more stringent monopolization controls where each successive slot costs much more money than the last, but never outright bans.

The closest you'll ever see to a solution to that problem is perhaps large expansions.  Small expansions occur now, but a single slot per hour isn't a fraction of what is necessary to allow competition.  Perhaps in the future there will be larger expansions where there's increases of 15-20 slots/hour all at once because a "new runway comes in service", that make "moving-in" viable for a competitor.  Even so, with foreknowledge, the incumbent will just stock up the aircraft necessary to hog those slots to himself as soon as they come into play.

Long-term there is a solution coming though.  And that is a regional demand model as opposed to an airport-driven one.  It is impossible now to steal demand away from someone at JFK by, say, flying to LaGuardia -- JFK's demand is JFK's demand, and LGA's demand is LGA's demand, with not a single passengers willing to fly to the other airport.  In the future, the distant future, that won't be so.  Nearby airports will "share" demand based on distance from population centers, and as such, even if someone hoards all the slots at JFK, you can compete against them by flying to other nearby airports at superior pricing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:20:02 PM by Sigma »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.