Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: help needed  (Read 1667 times)

bbw16

• Former member
help needed
« on: June 15, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »
hi i am new to this and i think i have messed up a lot i am bassed out of egcn with a fleet of 1 crj with 1 on order i am just not able to make a profit and i dont know what to do to turn it around any help would be great

Offline CVACEO

• Members
Re: help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:27:26 PM »
A couple of thoughts ...

1.  Too small (and too expensive) an aircraft for the routes you are flying.  Something like a BAe 146-200 would be better suited to the ~100 pax routes.  It is very difficult to turn a profit in Airway Sim (maybe in real life too) with any aircraft smaller than about 50 seats or so.

2.  You are flying to too many destinations with your single aircraft.  Better to max out the demand on one route before opening a new one.  The more often you fly a route each week the quicker your route image will build and the more seats you will fill on your aircraft.

3.  Patience, patience, patience.  Your airline is not even a month old yet!  It takes time to build a customer base.  AirwaySim is attempting to simulate real life so you need to be thinking in real-life terms when you play AWS as well.  :)

bbw16

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:42:35 PM »
so am i better off declaring bancrupt and starting again as i dont have the money to lease the bigger aircraft

Offline CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:51:17 PM »
so am i better off declaring bancrupt and starting again as i dont have the money to lease the bigger aircraft

Well, it depends on how much patience you have.  I'm not saying it would be impossible to turn a profit with the CRJ on those routes but it will be a long, slow slog to do it, I think.  You were right to stick with one aircraft type, though, becuase fleet commonality is very, very important.

If I were you I would probably start over.  BUT, before you do take a look through the used aircraft market and do some research to find the best aircraft you can for the routes you intend to fly.  Try to find one aircraft that will do as much of the work as possible.  Don't pick one type for the first few routes and then find that you will need a different aircrfat for the rest of your routes (because of range or other factors).  Pick one that can "do it all, so to speak".  I am partial to the BAe 146's (especially the 200 variant) but, in all honesty, some of the newer turbo props (like the ATR 72) are a bit more efficient as far as fuel burn per passenger.  Use the "compare aircraft" tool in the aircraft drop-down menu and take a look at what's out there.   

bbw16

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:55:37 PM »
ok i will do tht just wish it was as easy as the demo is lol should i try and find a bigger airport as well

Offline CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:03:18 PM »
ok i will do tht just wish it was as easy as the demo is lol should i try and find a bigger airport as well

Actually I was surpised to see the demand you have at that airport.  Guess it depends on how many of those 100 pax demand routes you have.  Ten or more of those and you have the makings of a successful airline (although your growth potential may be limited).  But hey, if you are happy operating a small, successful airline then go for it.  Airports with unanswered demand are getting pretty hard to find now.

No matter which aircraft you decide to go with try to build a schedule that allows each aircraft a minimum of three flights per day, 7 days per week (4 -5 flights per day is even better).  The more times you can turn over those seats and get a new paying customer on board the more money they will generate.  The BAe 146's work fantastic for routes under 500 miles and if you can schedule 4 - 5 flights a day per aircraft you will turn a profit with them, guaranteed.  Take a look at my airline if you need proof of that (Aerolinea Toluca Mexico).  :)

Good luck!

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:36:30 AM »
Hi:

BAe 146 isnt a good plane. Try a 737-300. Dont buy old planes. If you want a prop use an ATR

Offline CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 12:51:38 AM »
Hi:

BAe 146 isnt a good plane. Try a 737-300. Dont buy old planes. If you want a prop use an ATR

I have to disagree with you.  I have 11 of them netting more than 2.3 million profit per week.  They work just fine if you use them as they were designed - short-medium range.

Offline raptorva

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 01:44:13 AM »
I agree. I fly the BAe's (24 of them I believe) and they are great aircraft for my operations; Short haul high-frequency routes in an environment where runways are short and they are the only jet that can fit into most of the airports.

Offline CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 02:40:08 AM »
I agree. I fly the BAe's (24 of them I believe) and they are great aircraft for my operations; Short haul high-frequency routes in an environment where runways are short and they are the only jet that can fit into most of the airports.

... and there's just something awfully sexy about a four-engined aircraft ;D 

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 02:51:42 AM »
Hi bbw16, as what GoGreen mentioned, your current airport is actually quiet good. It is hard to get a really good airport now in the game. For those routes with around 100 pax demand, you can fly ATR42 or Saab2000. These aircraft of around 50 seat allow you to raise your price higher than the system default without affecting your LF. I tried that before, even though I don't know how it work. BAE will be more suitable for higher demand route, but, don't use them for routes or longer distance. They are perfect for high demand routes within 500nm. Yo can also try Fokker70/1000.

Sandager

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 03:07:44 PM »
Actually I was surpised to see the demand you have at that airport.  Guess it depends on how many of those 100 pax demand routes you have.  Ten or more of those and you have the makings of a successful airline (although your growth potential may be limited).  But hey, if you are happy operating a small, successful airline then go for it.  Airports with unanswered demand are getting pretty hard to find now.

No matter which aircraft you decide to go with try to build a schedule that allows each aircraft a minimum of three flights per day, 7 days per week (4 -5 flights per day is even better).  The more times you can turn over those seats and get a new paying customer on board the more money they will generate.  The BAe 146's work fantastic for routes under 500 miles and if you can schedule 4 - 5 flights a day per aircraft you will turn a profit with them, guaranteed.  Take a look at my airline if you need proof of that (Aerolinea Toluca Mexico).  :)

Good luck!

There are plenty of airport around this game where one can set up a nice airline. Sure some routes are already served but plenty of potential in plenty of airport around the "world." It is just not Heathrow,Frankfurt, JFK,LAX or some other fancy place.

ban2

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 09:20:47 AM »
There are plenty of airport around this game where one can set up a nice airline. Sure some routes are already served but plenty of potential in plenty of airport around the "world." It is just not Heathrow,Frankfurt, JFK,LAX or some other fancy place.

+1

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 07:03:21 PM »
As I read in another post, any model of CRJ is (almost always) certain death and you'll wind up bankrupt. Been there, done that. No more CRJ's for me. What about F-70's? I have had very good luck with them for carrying 70 people on small to medium routes. :)

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 07:25:04 PM »
Look at the post below yours titled "hated by most" . Alot of people have some pretty bad things to say about the CRJ.

Sandager

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 09:09:24 AM »
Look at the post below yours titled "hated by most" . Alot of people have some pretty bad things to say about the CRJ.

I have looked in that thread. And yet my CRJ's are averaging a weekly profit of a bit more than 100.000/aircraft. One of two generatye more profit than a few of my 57's. Granted I own the CRJ's but they are great aircrafts. Can't wait for the  700 and 900 to be available

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 10:20:37 AM »
If you own them, its one thing.  If you don't own them, its another.

Those things are brutally expensive if there is an oil price hike.

Sandager

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »
If you own them, its one thing.  If you don't own them, its another.

Those things are brutally expensive if there is an oil price hike.

Sure it makes a difference. Which is why no one can just dismiss the aircraft as being flying killers. They certainly can do a great job if you use them correct and wisely

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 06:13:56 PM »
I have looked in that thread. And yet my CRJ's are averaging a weekly profit of a bit more than 100.000/aircraft. One of two generatye more profit than a few of my 57's. Granted I own the CRJ's but they are great aircrafts. Can't wait for the  700 and 900 to be available
I think you're the exception, not the rule! :laugh:

Sandager

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 05:18:53 AM »
Thanks. I take that as a compliment.

I think it is the market conditions and the fact that A-B-C-B-A routings are not allowed anymore. My base got a very limited market. I got a very very few medium to long haul markets. All of them with a small demand. I got more short haul markets. So I can utilize my CRJ's better than I can with the 57's. And better utilization equals more profit

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.