Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Any Luck with Long Haul RJ Flights?  (Read 3830 times)

flydreamer

• Former member
Re: Any Luck with Long Haul RJ Flights?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
The ERJ145LR never makes money on long range but I have discovered my new fleet of ERJ135LR's make a lot more on the same routes, probably because their costs are lower ?

really? what route? if it works so much better than the ERJ145LR, then maybe i will consider to operate it.

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 11:42:53 PM »
Comparable Routes to the 145, I have 3 running from Vanuatu to Australia and new zealand all > 1000nm routes and 1 x 1700nm route just within their range loadfactors of approx 70-80%

flydreamer

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 02:30:22 AM »
and what about the profit you made? because what i learned from ERJ before, the operating cost is so high compared with the props. so although with higher LF, because the cost is just high, the profit isn't too satisfying...

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 05:36:01 AM »
Its not overly satisfying but if you want a long haul route (for example 1700nm) they do make a profit. Find me a prop that does that and I'll be definitely go for it

flydreamer

• Former member
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 07:11:26 AM »
well, there isn't any out there, then i think we have to live with that fact right?  ;D

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Unfortunately :D hahaha we should make an Aircraft Manufacturing company and provide such aircraft haha

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 10:17:31 AM »
If a prop is able to fly that kind of distance, the cost will be very high...

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »
Ok Thats a fail prone path then hahaha but I think the ERJ 135 is the only one of the small < 50 pax JETS ive had any luck with

Don Conquistador

• Former member
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 07:25:43 AM »
I'm gonna confirm what everyone has been saying here.
Short Range High Frequency is good. Regional airlines can be very profitable for several reasons :

1. They take low capital investment so you can be quick to start.
2. The routes you want to fly with a regional aren't generally overcrowded.
3. Many home bases that are viable left in the game that have no based airlines.
4. On mediocre demand routes, such as 150 passenger, you will have an advantage over larger airlines that try to fly 1 150pax a/c while you can fly 3 50pax aircraft. People will prefer your route because you have more flights.

Secrets to making a regional work.
1. Use only one aircraft.
2. Don't be tempted to use larger aircraft, just use more route frequency.
3. Stay away from crowded airports.
4. Look at aircraft before you choose which fleet to use. Speed does matter. Look at the stats. People don't care if a plane is Turboprop or a jet, what they care about is the speed. While most jets are faster, they are also more inefficient. Also, some turboprops are very fast like the Saab 2000 which is nearly as fast as some jets.
5. Efficiency matters. If you have a low turn around time, you can fly many routes with the same plane each day.  Also, do some math on just how fuel efficient your planes are and compare it with your speed. I worked it out in a spreadsheet for most of the planes you might be considering, and found the fuel consumption per passenger per 1000nm. What is the most fuel efficient plane? no surprises here, the A380, at 23kg fuel / pax / 1000nm.  As far as regional airlines go, some of the most efficient are the BAe ATP, and the Dash 8 q400. I Chose to have a fleet of ATP72's because the ATP is not in production, and the Dash 8 has a very large order backlog. PM me if you want my list, it's on Google docs and you can sort it by efficiency, or price or range, or whatever.  Equally important to what planes are efficient are which are not.  The fokker f28 3000 is 3 times less fuel efficient than these mentioned.
6. Use the size of your airplanes to your advantage. Most larger airlines will stay away from 40-100 pax routes which leaves you with plenty of room since you operate smaller aircraft that will still turn in good profit even if they are only 70% full.
7. Look at the hours of operation of your airport. Some airports are 9-5 (9-17) which cannot be great for regional as you miss out on 11 hours during which people are willing to fly in significant numbers.

I know it was long, but there is some good info there for people who are starting the game late and are forced to make a regional airline.

flydreamer

• Former member
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 02:48:29 AM »
1. Use only one aircraft.

this should be one type of aircraft i believe...  ;D :laugh:

i currently operate Saab 2000 and Dash 8 Q400, and the fleet commonality isn't too bad. so, two types of aircraft is still ok but the number of each aircraft type mustn't be too little, like 3 or 5, it's going to be bad.

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 07:29:11 AM »
Why you need to have Saab 2000 and Q400? The Saab ca fly the routes of the Q400, right?

flydreamer

• Former member
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
i need Q400 to fly the 'long-haul' regional routes where Saab can't reach it. those routes aren't as profitable as the Saab's routes, but it is still ok.

Offline type45

• Members
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 09:50:52 AM »
I'm not playing in ATB, but in TMT1 I find a tech. stop Q400/SAAB2000 is better than a direct flight ERJ :P

flydreamer

• Former member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
I'm not playing in ATB, but in TMT1 I find a tech. stop Q400/SAAB2000 is better than a direct flight ERJ :P

absolutely! i'm done with ERJs. twice forced to declare bankruptcy by using them :'(. and now, i'm living happily with Saabs and Q400s ;D.

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »
i need Q400 to fly the 'long-haul' regional routes where Saab can't reach it. those routes aren't as profitable as the Saab's routes, but it is still ok.

So you are using the little extra flight range of Q400 to complement your wider route coverage. Nice job! ;)

Offline psw231

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 09:19:27 PM »
So you are using the little extra flight range of Q400 to complement your wider route coverage. Nice job! ;)
No, not a nice job! Why not just use the Q and have only 1 fleet type, the commonality costs of having a second type will likely kill all of the profits of the second types routes and a bit more. Only use 1 type for short haul as it is not that profitable (except on high demand routes), even for medium haul I wold only use 1 type. For long haul more than 1 type can be used as you can get a large varriance in vaailable passenger numbers (200-550), so you can have aircraft for routes of <200, 200-300, 300+

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 01:11:08 AM »
No, not a nice job! Why not just use the Q and have only 1 fleet type, the commonality costs of having a second type will likely kill all of the profits of the second types routes and a bit more. Only use 1 type for short haul as it is not that profitable (except on high demand routes), even for medium haul I wold only use 1 type. For long haul more than 1 type can be used as you can get a large varriance in vaailable passenger numbers (200-550), so you can have aircraft for routes of <200, 200-300, 300+

It is not good if we are talking about economy and business. But he is doing so for fun.
It add more expenses to his airline but his fleet size is big enough to cover it.
Everyone got their target to achieve. Maybe his target is to operate a regional carrier with variety of route coverage.

flydreamer

• Former member
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 01:41:28 AM »
yes it is, i'm doing it to be able to have wider route coverage. and the fleet commonality isn't that bad, and my airline still can bear it. besides, i'm happy with my airline doing right now, and i still can make 'enough' profit weekly to make my airline running, so why not using 2 types.  ;D

but, i think 2 types of aircraft is the maximum you can do on a regional airline. more than 2 types won't be good.

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2010, 04:26:31 AM »
Just go for it. ;)
Nothing is important than enjoying the game and having fun :laugh:

munipandita

• Former member
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 12:20:33 PM »
Hi all

The best you can do is to use only 1 fleet type.. But if it isn't possibel, try to use only 2 fleet types.

I made a comparision when i was using 3 fleet types and after i got rid of one of them

take a look on the costs!

http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,22443.0.html

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.