Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: How do you rank your airline overall against others??  (Read 2107 times)

tidelover05

• Former member
How do you rank your airline overall against others??
« on: May 27, 2010, 03:44:00 AM »
Which numbers really matter to judge if your airline is doing better than others???

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: How do you rank your airline overall against others??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 03:47:11 AM »
That's entirely up to you.

Maybe you want to make the most money.
Maybe you want to move the most passengers worldwide
Maybe you want to control 95% of all passenger traffic in your airport.
Maybe you want to be the largest carrier in the US.
Maybe you want to be the largest all-turboprop carrier
Maybe you want to have the highest profit margin
Maybe you want to be the most "Green" --- burning less fuel per passenger

Jupiter

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 05:47:17 AM »
I shoot for revenue, myself.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 05:53:26 AM »
You forgot at least one Sigma...

Maybe you want to make your rival base airlines BK and cry to Sami.

To each his own!

Talentz

jest

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
You forgot at least one Sigma...

Maybe you want to make your rival base airlines BK and cry to Sami.

To each his own!

Talentz

I aim for wealth, and it includes your option too Albert. I love to hear them cry in the forum  :)

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 06:23:56 PM »
Which numbers really matter to judge if your airline is doing better than others???

fleet number and market share at base airport is my judging items. ;D

sittingbull

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:36:40 PM »
i dont rank it becourse some  have early starts other have pratice and other just dont have the timeto play 24 hours ) so my only goal is to make airline that  makes  profit .

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »

Don't lose money and let the bank close your airline. That's the only "number"  ;)

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 10:02:24 PM »
agree with sitting bull...
and don't forget, one day, us newbies won't be so 'green' anymore  ;D

Grimvisage

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 07:43:02 AM »
My basis for self-scoring depends on what game I'm playing. BW7 is the only scenario in which I really pay attention to the airline stats. I wanted to get in the top 3 total pax per month and revenue, and I've nearly achieved both of those now, meaning I feel I've pretty much "won". On the other hand, in ATB or MT2, I'm really just messing around with regional-ish airline setups and trying to find out what works and what doesn't and basically survive with a positive profit margin until the game ends.

Offline [ATA] - lilius

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 09:22:25 AM »
My goal is to have a high value on my airline at the game worlds end. Preferrably in the top 20 or higher.

Maximizing profit really helps alot when achieving all other goals you can have in this game.

wtdawg

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 03:56:03 AM »
I want to provide great service for my passengers, and a spectacular health and benefits plan for my employees.

:P

Offline JJP

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »
I always aim for controlling my hub.

dubAUT

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »
Maybe you want to have the highest profit margin
Since I started to play AWS I'm wondering what that 'profit margin' is and how it is calculated.

Anyone who can explain for me?

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 08:24:22 PM »
Since I started to play AWS I'm wondering what that 'profit margin' is and how it is calculated.

Anyone who can explain for me?

Profit Margin is what your total net profits are in relation to your total net revenues.

So all your ticket sales are your revenues.  And then there's all your expenses.  At the end, after you collect all your ticket monies and then pay all your bills (your expenses), whatever is left is your "Net Profit" -- so it's the last line on your Income Sheet in AWS.

Divide that into your total revenue to determine your "Profit Margin".

So if for every $1000 in tickets you get to put $500 into the bank in cash after you pay all your bills, you've got a "50% margin".  If you've got $100 to put into the bank you've got a "10% margin", and if you've just for $10 leftover to put into the bank you've got a "1% margin".

dubAUT

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »
I want to provide great service for my passengers, and a spectacular health and benefits plan for my employees.
Michael O'Leary - is it you? ;-)

dubAUT

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »
Profit Margin is what your total net profits are in relation to your total net revenues.
Thanks for your explanations! I've got another question: In v1.2: What's the different between 'yield' and  'revenue'? And in the 'Profit'-Column: There is a profit, if the sum of the sold tickets is higher than the sum of fuel + landing fees + navigation but not included leasing of the aircraft?

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »
Thanks for your explanations! I've got another question: In v1.2: What's the different between 'yield' and  'revenue'?

You mean the "Yield" that's on the Manage Routes screen?

That one's a lot more complicated and frankly I wouldn't worry about.

But, what it really means is the number of Dollars (or Cents, or whatever) that you make Per paying passenger Per mile you flew.

And in the 'Profit'-Column: There is a profit, if the sum of the sold tickets is higher than the sum of fuel + landing fees + navigation but not included leasing of the aircraft?

Yes.  That figure is "Profit", but not "Net Profit" because, as you mentioned, it doesn't subtract all costs, only what are called direct costs, and not even all of those.

There are many different ways to define "profit", and you will see at least 3 of them intermixed throughout the AWS screens...

First are 2 different ways of calculating "Gross Profit" within AWS that you will see on different screens, both simply referred to as "Profit":

1>  There is "Revenue - Variable Costs" -- this is roughly what you see on the Manage Routes screen.  This is "Gross Profit" at a very high level because it includes none of the fixed costs of operating a route; so no payroll, no leasing, no overhead at all, etc.  It is only Fuel and Fees. That's it.

2>  There is "Revenue - Cost of Goods Sold" -- this is what you see on the "My Aircraft" detail screens.  This is the more traditional "Gross Profit".  It includes all direct costs related to operating a given route/aircraft.

And then there is the most important of all, and that is "Net Profit".

That is, as mentioned earlier, "Revenue - ALL Costs".  You cannot see that in AWS on a Route or an Aircraft level.  All you can see it is company-wide off the bottom line of the Income Sheet.

So if you put 2 and 2 together, you've probably already figured out that what that means is just because the "Manage Routes" screen shows all your routes making money, and just because "My Aircraft" shows all your planes making money, doesn't mean your company is making money.  There are a variety of costs not included in either of those, but the main ones that aren't displayed are Marketing and Maintenance costs.  So if those are high they can suck up all that gross profit that your routes/aircraft are making and leave you with no actual net profit in the end.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:25:24 PM by Sigma »

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »
I want the highest profit margin. I am currently #6. After pre 9-11 demand returns, I should do even better

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 12:49:26 PM »
Official definition: yield is revenue/RPK
or more simply if your average fare is $100 and your flight is 1000km, then your yield is 10cents/KM

official definition: RASK is revenue/ASK
Or more simply if your yield is 10 cents/KM and LF is 80%, RASK is 8 cents/KM

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.