Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: So who are all the regional airlines out there and where are you based?  (Read 3770 times)

Offline JJP

• Members
Wha?  Southwest Airlines hasn't been considered a "Regional" carrier in decades.

For an airline to be considered "Regional" today (in the US, by the FAA, but similiarly throughout the world) it must generally fly aircraft of more than 10 and less than 100 seats.

A "Commuter" airline operates aircraft that are much smaller and operates none of them with required flight attendant service.

Your impressive knowledge of SW Airlines notwithstanding, you missed the point entirely.  Mainly, how could an airline based in St. Louis, with 30 aircraft made up of 737s and Saab 2000s, with no international flights, with no flights even reaching the West Coast, possibly be considered anything other than a regional airline?  :P

Offline Sigma

• Members
Your impressive knowledge of SW Airlines notwithstanding, you missed the point entirely.  Mainly, how could an airline based in St. Louis, with 30 aircraft made up of 737s and Saab 2000s, with no international flights, with no flights even reaching the West Coast, possibly be considered anything other than a regional airline?  :P

Well, I wasn't addressing the status of your airline, just your statement regarding Southwest.  But, really, you used your statement on the position of Southwest as incorrectly being "Regional" as the qualifier for your own standing.

But, to address the point more specifically, I did tell you how your airline could "possibly be considered anything other than a Regional airline" -- it's based on the equipment you fly.  If your airline primarily operates aircraft of more than 100 seats (i.e. 737s) on regularly scheduled service, it would not qualify as a "Regional" carrier by the FAA, but rather a "National" or "Major" carrier (dependent on the revenue).  Geography of the flights is not a qualifier of the definition -- you can fly 747s on a 500-mile radius and you wouldn't be a "regional" carrier.  You'd be a "Major" carrier if you made over $1B doing it, and a "National" carrier if you made less than that -- regardless of whether you covered more than a few states or not.  If your airline was predominantly Saabs with a couple 737s thrown in then the FAA would likely consider it "Regional".
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:17:44 PM by Sigma »

Offline ekaneti

• Members
 I ordered my first jet. A 717. We'll see how it goes.

Offline JJP

• Members

But, to address the point more specifically, I did tell you how your airline could "possibly be considered anything other than a Regional airline" -- it's based on the equipment you fly.  If your airline primarily operates aircraft of more than 100 seats (i.e. 737s) on regularly scheduled service, it would not qualify as a "Regional" carrier by the FAA, but rather a "National" or "Major" carrier (dependent on the revenue).  Geography of the flights is not a qualifier of the definition -- you can fly 747s on a 500-mile radius and you wouldn't be a "regional" carrier.  You'd be a "Major" carrier if you made over $1B doing it, and a "National" carrier if you made less than that -- regardless of whether you covered more than a few states or not.  If your airline was predominantly Saabs with a couple 737s thrown in then the FAA would likely consider it "Regional".

Odd qualifications . . .

Bettyb

• Former member
Well i ended up getting some erj145's and starting to think it was a mistake. The three jets cost almost the same to maintain that the 10 saabs, they cost me more in lease, burn more fuel. I thought the time saving on longer flights would pay off.
lesson learnt!

losgatitospeligrosos

• Former member
Does flying a bunch of 732s out of Cincinnati to low-demand airports count as a regional?

Offline JJP

• Members
Does flying a bunch of 732s out of Cincinnati to low-demand airports count as a regional?

I'd say yes, but then I'd be wrong.   :P

MattDell

• Former member
I'm flying 100-300nm routes (with a few exceptions) from my main base at London City.  Also have bases in Luxembourg and Bari, Italy.

I have a steady income of just under $2M/week and have a fleet of 62 DHC-8's.

-Matt

ReedME

• Former member
I'm based in Bauerfield making a small profit with 10 aircraft, and another 2 on order, after receipt of orders i will have 7 x EMB 120ER and 4 x ERJ 145 and 1 x ERJ 135 (extending my 135 fleet for short haul international with lower pax demands)

Hwoarang

• Former member
Operating out of Jeju with 9 ATR42-500s (plus two more on order), will focus mainly on domestic operations in Korea.

flydreamer

• Former member
my airline is based in Xiamen, China with 2 Saab 2000 as the workhorses and another one is coming soon. have tried the ERJs but didn't succeed pretty well, so i think it is best to operate props than jets for regional airline? ???

ReedME

• Former member
The ERJ's are not overly successful as I've found but I need more range with the 50 pax range of seats and there isn't really many options. Regional Airlines really do have the hard life :P

flydreamer

• Former member
The ERJ's are not overly successful as I've found but I need more range with the 50 pax range of seats and there isn't really many options. Regional Airlines really do have the hard life :P

indeed we do  ;D

Don Conquistador

• Former member
Conquest Air - CQA
Based out of Komatsu (KMQ), Japan
Offering nonstop service to your less traveled destinations in Japan.
3 ATR72-500's with more on order.

munipandita

• Former member
Hey people!

I am "recruiting" people to open a regional airlines alliance!

http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,22198.0.html  ;D

mclovin

• Former member
I am based at Athens,Greece and making a profit of about 100k a week..
I operate 2 Dash 8-300 and searching for more at low leasing prices..

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.