Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: How Now Brown Cow?  (Read 968 times)

Offline Frogiton

• Members
How Now Brown Cow?
« on: May 21, 2010, 05:31:30 AM »
Ok, this is the third server I play in in my time in AWS history. And I just don't understand. How can airlines be carrying 2million passengers already while I'm fighting for 100,000. Oh and I've tried everything. Short haul, Long Haul, same fleet, different fleet, regional fleet. Nothing seems to work. I hate to be starting another " I suck" thread, but really what's the secret.

Right now I just started over in ATB. I'm in Denver and I have 1 757 and 4 MD80's. Now my airline is at a complete standstill. Will make money throughout the week just to lose it all at the end of the week. What the heck are the airlines with 2million people doing. What planes did they start out with. How could they just expand so rapidly. How's my airline failing? What am I doing wrong? :'(

Just for some more info. All my routes have a Economy LF of more than 78%. Most at about default pricing.
No replacement for displacement

sittingbull

• Former member
Re: How Now Brown Cow?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 06:46:51 AM »
was wondering  the same -)

not that dont make profits  )  got  1  737 -) and 11 saab2000. Making  i profit each week and can pay C  checks  easy  but damm  som people  have like 200  plus  planes  on order when am happy to order 1 our 2 new saab2000 -) .

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 07:26:52 AM »
Hello.

Briefly looking over your airline... one major thing pops up in my head: Route selection/choice.

Umm.. why.. why is a 752 flying to Wichita Mid-Continent?!! Same can be said for it flying to Jackson Hole..  Sure it flies to ORD as well.. but overall, poor route section for an aircraft with 3000+ nm... Why not fly to YYZ, SJU, OGG or KOA..!!  The aircraft is not a SH, high frequency aircraft. Don't treat it as such. That's what you have your MD-80 fleet for.

As far as the MD fleet is concerned... you should "fill" the demand first, then move onto another route. Sure, your routes have empty demand.. that's great... but you fly to alot of cities. Long ones too (700nm+). At 700nm, the best you can do is 3x daily... Even less the further you go out...

The problem lies in your route choices. By flying to several different, long city pairs, you limit your aircraft's daily rotations and cause your marketing to be higher then it should. So lower overall income combined with higher then normal marketing= thin margin. Factor in the under use of your 752 and that's probably why your stalling.

Put the 752 on a route near its max range... 6x weekly or 1x daily if you can. IF theres any time left for it to fly... then put it in ICT or JAC.

Combine your MD-80s routes. Pick 2-3 routes and "fill" the demand with your aircraft. Bet that alone will drop your marketing by at least half. I would actually recommend you fly to shorter routes (<500nm)... however at this point in the game, its probably not an option.

Basically, be more efficient with your airline. Seems like the demand is wide open... so the only thing that's hold you back is your choices. Reverse them. Get back on track and you'll be fine.

Good luck

Talentz

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »
Thanks I'll try that. BTW, my 757 has a range of 1800.

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »
It's also interesting to note that my flight to Jackson Hole is the most profitable route out of all my routes.

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
OK, todays game day was just a Saturday. This is what I mean. I just lost 700,000 In the course of one day. I'll build that 700'000 back up fairly quickly, and then another "fee" of some sort will just bring me back down. I feel like I'm on a teeter-totter... and I'm starting to get sick :-[.

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »
What the heck are the airlines with 2million people doing.

Invest lots of time. I did some failures at start and had to countervail this by hanging at the used market 16 hours a day (and working on the other monitor).

Also be clever by choosing your aircraft, A300 and B757 are very nice in the first years, but they are weak to smaller competition.

What planes did they start out with.

1x DC-10-30 what was very stupid, because (my experience) you need at least two for earning money. This one costs me every week about 100k, but with the second one it earned me more than 1.5 million per week.

1x B737-400. The workhorse, profits were ok and after the third used 737-400 I could lease another DC-10-30.

After that you have to decide if you wait for the same aircraft or if you go for other models. My competitor had 40 aircraft more than me and thanks to the new delivery system, it's impossible to build up (fast) a big long-haul fleet, so I leased 737 next generation (new, used market), 777 (all new), 747 (new, used market) and A330 (used market, new). After you have a stable income, you can go for props if there is demand for it.

Don't care too much about fleet commonality at the start when fuel prices are low and never ever care about engine commonality.

I think there are better ways to equip your airline, but this is how I did it and you asked  ;)

How could they just expand so rapidly.

Never hord money. At the beginning spend every coin for used aircraft and if you have something about 20 Million, buy new. If you have a positive profit margin in the first years, you expand not enough.

How's my airline failing? What am I doing wrong? :'(

See Talentz post.

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 04:15:52 AM »
But still no matter how much I ask the question "Why do I lose random amounts of money on random days?" This is my problem. I will just lose every penny I make on just random days. Last airline I had 2 A300s 2 737s 2 MD80's and 2 A320's. Same exact thing. Every penny I would make would just be lost on random days of the week. Sometimes I would just lose like 200,000 on a Monday. Then build up a bunch. Then like on a Thursday of the next week I'd lose like 700,000. And its funny cause the exact thing is happening even though now I have a 757 and 4MD80's. So I've ruled out fleet commonality.

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:29:37 AM »
Loan payments, payments for maintenance and insurance etc.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 04:53:56 AM »
But still no matter how much I ask the question "Why do I lose random amounts of money on random days?" This is my problem. I will just lose every penny I make on just random days. Last airline I had 2 A300s 2 737s 2 MD80's and 2 A320's. Same exact thing. Every penny I would make would just be lost on random days of the week. Sometimes I would just lose like 200,000 on a Monday. Then build up a bunch. Then like on a Thursday of the next week I'd lose like 700,000. And its funny cause the exact thing is happening even though now I have a 757 and 4MD80's. So I've ruled out fleet commonality.

The game isn't meant to be played on a game-day-to-day basis.  Many expenses aren't spread out each day of the week and occur on singular days for the sake of simplicity, additionally simple load-factor variation throughout the week can make a profitable operation on Monday when the planes are 85% full, a money-losing operation for the entire week when they run 50% full on Saturday.  So what may appear to be a money-making week goes South before you know it.

Ignore the day-to-day.  Only look at the previous full week's figure.  That's the measure your real profitability, no matter what your profitability may be on, say, Monday before you've paid a single cent in most of your costs, or Wednesday after the payroll goes through, or Saturday whenever most people schedule their A/B-Checks.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.