Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Mad fuel prices!  (Read 2600 times)

Offline DutchBlond

• Members
Mad fuel prices!
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:46:08 AM »
Gee getting hard to make a $ with the fuel prices at $364!

How everyone else doing?
Making any cutbacks or price rises to combat it?
How long will it last...?

ksliu9

• Former member
Re: Mad fuel prices!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:52:47 AM »
Gee getting hard to make a $ with the fuel prices at $364!

How everyone else doing?
Making any cutbacks or price rises to combat it?
How long will it last...?

Which aircrafts are you using? Those Russian-made one?

Online [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 11:36:01 AM »
Well i have personnaly raised my prices with 10%

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »
$364 is nothing compared to where it is going by 2008

alex11369

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:50:10 AM »
Got credit 4 millions to keep airline in black , third time raised prices . It is funny to keep 50 airplanes of on type of aircraft ,have 85% LF and loose money....

Online [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 11:50:34 AM »
$364 is nothing compared to where it is going by 2008

Well this game isn't based on the real prices it is set to random

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »
DutchBlonde:

You should dump your 727s and DC-10s. Your MD-80s and 767/757s should be ok. So in addition to some fuel hogs, youve got 6 fleet types that I saw.

Dump the 727/DC10 to save fuel and dump the MD-11 to simplify fleet

Online [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 11:51:06 AM »
Got credit 4 millions to keep airline in black , third time raised prices . It is funny to keep 50 airplanes of on type of aircraft ,have 85% LF and loose money....

What plane are you using

alex11369

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:54:14 AM »
Boeing-737-300/400/500 - what could be bad???

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 12:08:37 PM »
Yah, its a relief that the prices are custom and not real world, but I am feeling the pain to. Been raising prices slowly but surely to try and offset the fuel costs......went up 4% a few weeks ago, and went up another 4%

Online [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 06:45:29 PM »
Adding another 5% to my prices right now, its now raised 20% over the last one and a half month.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »
I was forced to inrease fares as well te remain a bit profitable.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 06:54:39 PM »
I still don't see how fuel is so high.. I think the problem lies within aircraft routing.

My fleet is not exactly a fuel efficient one by any means, yet my weekly profit continues is not effected...

CI 90 with ERJs too! -_-"

- Talentz

Offline Marksw76

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 08:43:06 PM »
i don't know what to do with it completely at a loss. Things were ticking over nicely until I made a bad decision to order another MD81. It conicided with escalating fuel prices...the result..load factors averaging around 80% but the company sinking fast.

in just a day I went from from millions in the black to millions in the red. the only thing I could do was to take out a loan and dump the MD81 (costing me 2 million to do so!)

Now all I'm left with is just breaking even with a busy fleet but no money to really do anything. I want to swap all my MDs to Boeing within five game years but thats not going to happen

I just end up losing interest

I dont get how some players are flying fuel thirsty 727s and 732s and yet making millions, here I am with a fleet of fairly new aircraft, well maintained well marketed yet hardly breaking even

??? ???

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »
@ Marksw76

Had a short look at your airline:

Minneapolis: You use one of your 757 to fly to and a MD-80. But your competitor uses 2x B737 and they are smaller than both of your aircraft, so he has more market share, needs less fuel and has similar pax numbers.

Newark: You only fly there only six days a week and only with one MD-80, but demand on this route is >2000 per day.

Boston: You fly there every day, but only two times with MD-80, but demand is >1000.

Atlanta: Four times a week, one MD-80. Demand >1600

Denver: Nice one! Maybe there is space for the B757 that flys to Minneapolis at the moment? You could catch the last business class seats and fill up demand to 100%.

Phoenix: Good one, but maybe you should add another aircraft. I would suggest something smaller than a MD-80, but you don't have... it's only to fill up demand and increase flights per day.

Dallas: Nice, but why the hell Finnair has this much market share with his B747-400? Is your Company Image very low?

-> Some hints:
Fly big routes as often as you can, minimum demand 100%, better 120%. Also catch Business Class seats if possible, but don't reconfigurate old used planes.... only those who you get new (= no configuration costs) or aircraft from the used market which are nearly new and you know you use them 6+ years.
Raise your CI. Never spend money for Route Image, but the target for Company Image should always be >90.

Conclusion:
The problem are not high fuel costs, it's your high personal costs due to serving too much airports with wrong aircraft respectively not often enough per day or not every day.

Offline Marksw76

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 10:47:04 PM »
Thanks for your help Curse

I've made some adjustments. Newark didnt seem to be working so I've picked up more routes to denver and Atlanta. Thinking of doing what you suggested and switching another Denver route to 757 operation but just seeing if the turnaround will be ok.....

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »
Hope this will work for you. If not, please tell me.

All good to you and your airline.

Offline JJP

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 11:37:25 PM »
You've got that right!  I was going to start a topic if I didn't see one.  Holy high fuel prices, Batman!  :o

Offline DutchBlond

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 04:20:47 AM »
Its now $434!

Problem in raising prices is the competition. Battling for some routes, once they are beaten out prices can rise.

Even raising by a few % makes large indentations into load factors.

Down here in Australasia it is a different ballgame, with small passenger loads to get.

The MD80's maybe fuel consuming but mostly new, & were very easy to order, most other aircraft were 2-3 yrs game time to get! They also have  a decent load capability.
The DC10's were also easy to get & in fact make the most profit on med haul routes! their lease price was low, & are always a good starter for the game.
MD11's same story. Either wait 3 yrs for a long haul aircraft or run these in 4 months.

727's are available if not old etc, n make a decent amount per week. They are cheap to lease, & also have a high load factor.

Seems my prices will have to raise also, but i will lose ground to the competition on some routes.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 04:36:05 AM »

Screenshot is two minutes old, so with the current fuel prices.

Problems with DC-10 aren't the fuel prices... problems are the high maintenance costs (age etc.) and for the short range variants in north america the competition. I see this on my DC-10-10 that fly to the east coast, but you can replace them with B757, B737, A300, A320 etc. from the used market... DC-10-30, DC-10-40 and DC-10-30ER are doing well/ok.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.