Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: For what good reason would one put too many seats on a route...  (Read 683 times)

L1011fan

• Former member
that does not demand it. I am not asking because I'm complaining. I mean this question in its truest form. I may need to resort to doing it. What have you seen when you have done this? Was it worth it? Depends (I am at GUA in MT2, Air Guatamala)? I need to fill some holes. A little more time with my planes on the ground than I'd like. What are the biggest positives? What are the worst of the negatives? Thank you! Actually GUA should be among one of the most active airports in Central America. Should have as much jet traffic as PTY or GDL , or it least it did when I was travel agent. I can't even get decent regional routes.

I have to also confess, that I noticed we didn't have GUA until just very recently and I asked sami if he would put it in and he did. And I appreciate that sami, really I do! Demand should a smidge higher for jet traffic I think though, just in my estimation. It was both a tourist and business hub. But I also realize this a new city for AWS. Maybe we're giving it a test run? ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:03:18 PM by L1011fan »

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: For what good reason would one put too many seats on a route...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 06:12:42 PM »
The main reason one puts "too many" (let's say the max 200%) is to deter competition.

If your planes are on the ground and you're considering flying them "just because", it's generally a money losing proposition after about 150% demand.  Up to about 150% you may actually be getting some new passengers if your pricing is really low and the general attitude toward you has increased because your frequency has gone up with a new flight.  After about 125-150% though you're guaranteed to not be attracting any more people at all, only reducing the LF on other flights.  That may get your utilization up but for nothing.  You're only taking pax away from other flights while increasing your costs by adding another flight somewhere.

Offline Unbornio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:14:45 AM »
Well, yea what Sigma said is correct. However, if you put flights on other people's routes, you get a nice little extra profit.  ;D
Beta Tester

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:31:36 PM »
Gee thanks Unbornio!! We'll look into that! Its seems no sooner than I wrote this, that routes to the US and Canada just popped up. I can fill full Y 727's. No C Class needed to anywhere from GUA right now. Now I just need regional and South America and the picture is complete. :)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.