Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Airport size classes  (Read 4757 times)

Offline LemonButt

• Members
Re: Airport size classes
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »
Anyone who has a 'monopoly' in a very large airport will not be put by this change. He will just be forced into using smaller planes. The only thing that will happen is that Aircraft like the 777, 747 and A380 will lose the few airports in which they still make a bit of sense.
If I was based in Heathrow and additional slots became available, I would only be forced to split an A380 flight into two A330 flights, nothing more. There is absolutely no gain for 'smaller' players in this new feature. Just an annoyance without connecting traffic.

Then the solution is simple--set individual quotas for every airline.  If you are restricted to X number of slots at an airport, you'll use larger aircraft to serve more demand.  The problem today is it is first come/first served, so if an airline takes 100% of the slots at an airport, it is at the detriment of other airlines and not themselves.

Offline Boot

• Members
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »
Then the solution is simple--set individual quotas for every airline. 
and don't forget 5-year plan and the planning committee!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-Year_Plans_for_the_National_Economy_of_the_Soviet_Union

been there, done that.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2014, 01:39:22 PM »
Back to this topic, as already mentioned the system will be changed and will be as follows (to replace the current fixed 1-5 size classes for airports):

* Infrastructure size class, levels 1-10. Measurement of available facilities like runways and terminals.

* Traffic size class, levels 1-10. Measurement of airport "busyness", how much traffic (pax) there is yearly.

This is being also modelled currently, the traffic level classes are already being calculated in the background.

However, about the interface. There's an airport size selector for example in the route planning menu and while the existing airport size classes of 1 to 5 will remain in the background (in airport selection in game specific level for example), they will be removed from the interface eventually; so would you just like them to be replaced with the two selectors with 1-10 values or something else?

For other inteface pages, apart from the airport info page, I belive the airport size class info isn't present anywhere?

(Though for now the old 1-5 class system will be still retained, since the infra classes won't change so it's not useful to implement this yet. But I am doing it to the background / technically already since it will be needed in the future)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:46:24 PM by sami »

Offline [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2015, 08:49:42 PM »
Any news regarding this Sami ?

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »
I comment on this because Oscar linked to it

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.