Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Airport size classes  (Read 4758 times)

Offline alexgv1

• Members
Airport size classes
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:38:12 PM »
This is more of a suggestion than a request. It just surprises me that two very different airports can be in the same size class.

For my example I will use Birmingham and Heathrow in the UK.

Birmingham is a single runway airport with one terminal, at most 50 gates and maybe 40 more small stands. This is a class 5 airport in AWS.

Heathrow is a 2 (soon 3) runway airport with 5 terminals (as it currently stands) and hundreds of gates. It's also in the same class 5 size as Birmingham in AWS.

(source: http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=6&Itemid=13.html)

My point is that maybe there could be a sixth airport size class for these so called super airports... it might also help on the rules of limits of airlines allowed, slot fees, movements and rules on refuel stops. It could also have a meaning on A380 compatability (although runway length is already a factor and this may just be overcomplicating things).

I could name many other airports other than Heathrow to illustrate this but my best knowledge is about the UK industry.

I don't think this is crucial to the game but it was just a thought I would like you to consider.

Thanks for reading this.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline MCR247

• Members
Re: Airport size classes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:55:41 PM »
Tories have said that Heathrow, gatwick & Stansted wont get more runways

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »
Tories have said that Heathrow, gatwick & Stansted wont get more runways

Well 3rd rwy at Heathrow is already underway ;) as is the terminal reconfigurations

As for the other two I can only hope. And hopefully I will see some Expansion at Luton too (my hometown)

Offline MCR247

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »
Well 3rd rwy at Heathrow is already underway ;) as is the terminal reconfigurations

As for the other two I can only hope. And hopefully I will see some Expansion at Luton too (my hometown)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/05/13/heathrow-s-3rd-runway-jettisoned-115875-22254683/
 ;)

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 10:53:31 PM »
Cant argue with that -- that article recognises that they are scrapping the project halfway through rather than saying it never started.

Sooner or later it will get done, I think it's a waste of money to half build a project then leave it. A lot of construction has already been underway for it.

I'm sure the next government will continue it after the Conservatives serve their 4 year term. Politicians that scrap it for environmental reasons are ignorant IMO.

747 has same emissions per passenger kilometer as a Ford Focus or something like that.

However we have gone horribly off track has anyone got any thoughts on this idea?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »
Checked that there are 84 or 86 sizeclass 5 airports in Europe alone ..

So I think I will divide into a bit more classes; as they also affect the navigation/handling fees and such, and make also easier to make worlds with 'only major airports' etc.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
also easier to make worlds with 'only major airports' etc.

You did listen!!! HURRAY!

Few players, big planes only... fun fun fun!

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
Is 10 size classes too much..?  I think it would be nice and round number for this.

Airport size class would be based on the combination of facilities (runways etc) and number of transported passengers. All airport related costs are relative to the sizeclass variable.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »
why not have multiple sizes...

1 size for amount of pax desiring to travel through... another for the amount of slots and other ancillary information...

Some airports may be a class 10 in the first but a 6-7 on the second.  So, Atlanta would be a 10/10 while LHR would be a 10/8, for instance.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 09:54:24 PM »
I was thinking 6 or 7 initially just to make the special cases stand out.

But if you were to redo the system then 10 sounds fair, there is not enough disparity between airports at the moment with regard to number of runways, terminal sizes, parking spaces and this is a great step.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
hmm, how about 5 size classes and 5 infra classes ... and "total class" would be a+b with max = 10. Well, have to think.

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 10:11:26 PM »
why not have multiple sizes...

1 size for amount of pax desiring to travel through... another for the amount of slots and other ancillary information...

Some airports may be a class 10 in the first but a 6-7 on the second.  So, Atlanta would be a 10/10 while LHR would be a 10/8, for instance.

Right, that sounds good, but 10 classes is too many. So, as sami said, 5 on each, added together to equal the total size.

So first size would be pax,
while second size consist of parking spaces, slots, runway size, etc.
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 11:04:35 PM »
Right, that sounds good, but 10 classes is too many. So, as sami said, 5 on each

5+5=10 means there will still be ten classes. At least.

If you do a combination of 5/5 then there are even more permutations and hence size classes.

Shouldn't we keep this simple for now?

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »
With city-based demand in the pipeline, this might complicate things, so I agree, simple is better.
Editor of AeroBlogger

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 11:14:02 PM »
find a 3rd variable...

I dont know what goes into calculating spots.

Give a rating for all 3 and then have an average displayed.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 11:15:48 PM »
With city-based demand in the pipeline, this might complicate things, so I agree, simple is better.

Sorry not meaning to give you a maths lesson Bob, looking back at my post.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, city based demand will bring everything together.

I found an even weirder example thank my one in the OP. HOU and DAL have about the same passenger levels, and seemingly the same infrastructure but DAL is 3 and HOU is 5 (currently on a par with LHR).

Thanks for working on this Sami I will assist you where possible.

find a 3rd variable...

I dont know what goes into calculating spots.

Give a rating for all 3 and then have an average displayed.

We have a ranking for passenger levels at the moment so maybe this could be incorporated.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 03:54:34 PM »
Thought of this and would probably go with a size class system that has two parts:

* "Infrastructure" level, 1-10; measuring the level of available airport facilities like terminal and apron capacity. Affects available slots, and various prices (like handling), and could affect number of planes one can base at apt.

* "Traffic" level, 1-10; measuring the level of (statistical or actual) passengers at this airport. Affects various costs ..

These would be displayed separately.

(change to size classification is necessary to facilitate other features)

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 04:13:03 PM »
That is like what I envisaged with this idea, thanks Sami for taking this on board  8)

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »
This is amazing. Then airports and DAL can be more realistically simulated
Editor of AeroBlogger

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »
Thought of this and would probably go with a size class system that has two parts:

* "Infrastructure" level, 1-10; measuring the level of available airport facilities like terminal and apron capacity. Affects available slots, and various prices (like handling), and could affect number of planes one can base at apt.

* "Traffic" level, 1-10; measuring the level of (statistical or actual) passengers at this airport. Affects various costs ..

These would be displayed separately.

(change to size classification is necessary to facilitate other features)

Interesting ideas...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.