Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Help please, this is so frustrating!  (Read 2374 times)

Athriaxo

• Former member
Help please, this is so frustrating!
« on: May 12, 2010, 07:13:29 AM »
Hey guys!

I was one of the first who played this game and never had problems with my airline ...

But now that I joined this Air Travel Boom game (after not playing for a few months) I keep loosing money and I dont understand why!

Ive restarted my Airline for 2 times allready this game (trying long haul routes and short haul and different airports and even set up my base on a empty airport with Large(5) significance) and its allways the same picture:

While everyone around is making wads of cash and buying new Planes and filling up my routes I still sit around and loose money ...

I invested into advertising (everything except TV on a local basis) and tryed only buying only one kind of airplane so maintainance is low but still im not gaining but loosing money all the time. I even lowered my prices globally by 10% (from standard) and STILL loosing money,  :'( not having more than 40 to 70% LF (wich used to be enought to make money) but my running costs are allways higher than my income .... even my CEO pay is set to 0 and STILL no money  >:(

Any ideas?  ;)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:10:39 AM by Athriaxo »

Razor2

• Former member
Im in MT2, but from what you explain, I would say that your variable or fixed costs are too high. What aircraft are you flying?
There are several good strategies currently:
1. Get 1 or 2 OK long or medium haul jets and fly them on routes with enough C demand, that will bring cash fast, but its a high risk approach. If the routes are not perfect you will go bust in no time.
2. Get 2-3 jets not older than 15 years and fly on medium haul routes with enough C demand, that will also shed cash, this is the medium risk approach. But it will take more time to mess with the big boys.
3. Get 4-5 props not older than 15 years, and fly tons of short routes, multiple times a day. Try to get props where you can cram in some C seats and fly on routes where there is some demand for them. This approach has lower risk, but those planes will not be cash cows. You need loads of them to get rich.
4. Get 5-10 smaller (20-40 seater) props, not older than 10 years and fly even more routes. This is the lowest risk approach, but also the slowest.

Common in all approaches is that try to squeeze out as much routes of your planes as possible, planes sitting on the tarmac are just making losses! You also need to invest somewhat in marketing, but how much depends on your approach.

I hope I could help.

Athriaxo

• Former member
Yes, i was going with the 3rd to 4th aproach this time (tryed aproach 1 first) and still my running costs are higher than my income ... i fly with de Havilland Canada DHC-8 -300 (brand new) (x3) and one DHC -7 (15 yrs.) but still loosing money ... the weekly profits for each plane are ok but overall im loosing :(

Im starting to think its a bug or something ... or maybe passangers in Asia pay less for theyr flights? I just dont get it ...

castelino009

• Former member
Re: Help please, this is so frustrating!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:31:10 AM »
go for a aircraft under 15 yrs . See that you utilise it well. Also search for aircraft type which is easily available in the used market and shorter waiting for new ones. Dont add extra fleet type until you grow and start making money. When your airline is small, marketing is also small, so dont overspend. keep your turnaround times tight. always dont go for 1% even upto 8 % is fine if that fits into your schedule.

Hope this helps

VJC

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Im starting to think its a bug or something

No it isn't. Sorry but if you just can't get it to work it does not mean that the software is wrong.

Anyways, looking at your routes: MANY of them are in the middle of the night. Nobody wants to fly a small 1-2hour sector at 03.00 am. That way you just creating direct losses as the more routes the more staff and the more indirect costs you get.  Your pricing policy is also not good, since your airline is new, and all routes are new, so you need to lower the prices to get more people onboard. The avg Y LF is only 46% and you cannot cover the expenses that way alone. I would also suggest to drop the DHC-7 to get a uniform fleet. I believe all expenses are minimized but incomes are too low.

Athriaxo

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:23:17 AM »
Ok, I did all of thos things now except dropping night routes and the dash 7 cus i dont have replacement for it yet and because some of them are making good money i think the ones loosing a little right now will make more when the image of the route goes up ... its allways hard for me to close routes after investing so much time and money into bringing its lf up ... also, what else should i do with the planes at night ... cant have em sitting in the hangar 7 hours a day :/

Also, I dont understand why im loosing money instead of gaining it after starting out because usually that didnt happen when I played :(

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 10:29:48 AM »
In the night you can fly through time zones, but I'm think the range of DHC-8 is too low for that, so you have to ground them or get enough pax to cover your costs (but, as you said, this will not happen with low RI and CI).

mikk_13

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:37:13 AM »
Hi, I had exactly the same problem. It is the changes in 2.1.

I worked it out though!

The problem is that you have too many routes. You can not make money flying a route once per day when you start up with a 50 seat plane. The staff costs take all profit and thus you slowly die.

You get what i mean? So don't bother flying a route once per day with a 50 seat plane.

To get going, find a good route, maybe 250+, and fly it 5 times. Dont fly after 12 and before 5. Since you are far away, this will be hard since the routes will be quite long thus you won't be able to do many trips. dash 8s work well at about under 350m-ish.

Maybe it is time to get rid of the last dash 7 and invest in a jet. If you see a yak42, fokker100, md anything, that might hit the sweet spot and you can get some growth happening.

Maybe it will be easier to start a new airline, there are some good possibilities in china or maybe Pakistan.

Athriaxo

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:56:09 AM »
Thanks Mik, sounds like that might be the reason ... cause its true i fly many different routes instead of flying one many times ... ill restart my airline and see if that works :)

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 01:26:04 PM »
Anyone want to tell me why I'm losing money. I have 8 aircraft (2 A300s, 2 737-300's, 2 A320's, 2 MD80's). My average route LF is 85% on economy routes and 79% on business routes. No international flights. None of my planes are flying between 23-5:30 or something like that. What'll happen is that I'll make like 2 million then just one day it will just drop like 1.2 million.
No replacement for displacement

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »
Quickly thinking, you have quite many fleet types, which causes very high costs.

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 01:53:39 PM »
Yeah, I know that. But how come there are other airlines with like 7 different models of planes still making a crazy profit?

Thomash

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
i've actually never seen an airline making huge profits with 7 different models of planes, it simple isnt possible

mikk_13

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »
Make sure you are charging full fares, don't dicsount.

Maybe you have to get rid of some types and then concentrate on a new one. Maybe you go into the RJ or something like this. Even the yak42 would not be a bad choice since there is no wait for new and you can get them new and used.

Problem is that all the types you have are under huge demand. It will be tough getting more of the same.

mikk_13

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 01:59:20 PM »
Also, my airline has many types, but i have big number off all of them. This makes the difference. The problem is you have 5 types with only 2 of each. This means less profit

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 02:39:55 PM »
Yeah, I know that. But how come there are other airlines with like 7 different models of planes still making a crazy profit?

Depending on routes and if that airline had already monopoly the market. I run many different aircraft and the cost is high enough to slow me down. I just get those aircraft to keep some slot so that I can make better profit when I start renewing my fleet.

ksliu9

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 05:27:32 PM »
i've actually never seen an airline making huge profits with 7 different models of planes, it simple isnt possible

how about this one?  http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Others/Airline588    They are currently operate 8 different types of fleet out of 48 fleets!!! 3 more types are coming!!!   Interesting!  ::)

Thomash

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »
I don't actually see 8 different fleet types, only 6. But that still is pretty much.
Take a closer look, he probably started with the 727 or the Fokkers. He built a pretty big fleet and made huge profits. Because of the big profits he could order massive amounts of other types without worrying about the fleet commonality. Just because he made such big profits.
Big airlines like KLM, Air-France also have multiple fleet types, but they are so big that they don't have to care too much about it.

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 10:23:02 PM »
B727-200Adv
B737-200Adv
B737NG
B747-100/200/300
B747-400
CRJ
Fokker F27

B777
B767
B737classic

Offline Frogiton

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 01:54:37 AM »
Ok so I have 2 planes of 4 fleets. I'm losing money on random days, not at specific days of the week. But usually it is 2 random days a week where I lose a lot of money. If it was fleet commonality where I was losing then it would be a monthly thing.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.