Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: an aircraft's day: many short haul flight's or a few long haul ones  (Read 1377 times)

taylor.jp

• Former member
question: in regards to aircraft utilisation, let's say a 737-200Adv, is it better to have more flights per day, i.e. 6/8 short haul flights, or 2/4 longer haul flights?

the reason I ask is because in theory it should be more profitable to have longer haul flights being operated for the fact that they will earn more from ticket sales but have to pay less landing fees, airport slots etc.

thanks

Offline Sigma

• Members
You're probably going to get as many different answers as respondents.

I'd say "It depends".

If it's 6 really dense short-haul flights (i.e. 6 to the same destination) then that'll make the most money.

If it's 6 flights to 6 different destinations with each route only having enough pax for that one plane then it may be better, once taking everything into account, to fly to 3 further-away destinations (if it's just 1 destination 3 times even better) because in addition to the fees that you mentioned you also have to hire less personnel at fewer airports and do less CI marketing at fewer destinations.

In my opinion it's always better to shoot for the densest routes, not necessarily their distance.  If they happen to be close that's just a really nice bonus.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
I have a couple of Saab2000's and they have 12 departures a day... Average load factor of at least 75%. So that's 44 seats per flight...

Do the following sum: 44 (seats) times Number of departures (12) times average fare / 100 x 60 is the MINIMAL income by that plane.

That allows a 40% overhead cost per plane which is a decent amount I think.

taylor.jp

• Former member
wow 12 departures a day, i guess you stick to the minimum turnaround time then.. do you not get delays?

GDK

• Former member
Yes, as sigma said, depends.
Put a medium distance route around 2000nm and make it fly before 2300, land after 0500 of the next day. Fly towards east will be better due to the time difference. After that, you are free to do anything to the time between 0500 to 2300. I prefer put it to 3 100nm to 300nm routes within my base country.

taylor.jp

• Former member
sounds like a good idea but once the plane arrives there at 5am doesn't it need to fly back the next morning? most of the next day will be taken up by the return journey right? but still, good plan

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
wow 12 departures a day, i guess you stick to the minimum turnaround time then.. do you not get delays?

No. 4 to 8 percent is my max. For a Saab2000 that is 45 minutes, for F100 that is 55 minutes. 

L1011fan

• Former member
For the most part, I find 727's do far better on longer routes. Thats been my experience. Use 737's or something around that capacity for your shorthauls. They do awesome for that!

GDK

• Former member
sounds like a good idea but once the plane arrives there at 5am doesn't it need to fly back the next morning? most of the next day will be taken up by the return journey right? but still, good plan

If you worry that the 2000nm route will waste too much time, then try a route around 1400nm or 1500nm with  flight time of 4 to 5 hours. In my case, I fly 1373nm from WMKK to VHHH everyday. Departure is 19.30 and will reach VHHH at 23.50 and return at 01.00 landing back at my hub at 05.00.

taylor.jp

• Former member
yea using a time zones to your advantage is a good idea.. I'm based at EGGW so I fly overnight to Tel Aviv Ben Gurion flying back around 5am and then flying an old profitable route till the end of the day... working out quite well now :)

GDK

• Former member
Re: an aircraft's day: many short haul flight's or a few long haul ones
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
Hope you don't have a tough competitor there. No matter how well you plan your route, if your competitor try to fly the same route regardless of the demand, you might probably get stuck there. And try not to operate too many type of aircraft.

Offline Unbornio

• Members
Re: an aircraft's day: many short haul flight's or a few long haul ones
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »
Well. It's really simple. A 200nm route ticket price is not double a 100nm route ticket price.

::)
Beta Tester

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.