Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: What effect will 9/11 have on the Sim?  (Read 966 times)

pattN

• Former member
What effect will 9/11 have on the Sim?
« on: May 07, 2010, 06:18:17 PM »
I was wondering what kind of effect iŽll have to struggle with after that date. Pax Demand? Fuel costs? If there is someone who has played that already,can give me a hint, just to plan in advance.
thx

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: What effect will 9/11 have on the Sim?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 07:23:11 PM »
You can expect a significant drop in pax demands.. (similar what happened in reality and the following months after)

No grounding of all planes in US though.

pattN

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:05:25 PM »
thx for the info !

Offline Wing Commander Chad Studdington

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:25:17 PM »
Will it be an instant drop. Will there literally be a fraction of the passengers flying on the 10th than the 8th?

Offline Marksw76

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 10:26:59 PM »
So I'll make sure I withdraw my entire fleet for a C check then  8)

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 01:30:08 AM »
The 9/11 attack is an issue between the terrorist and western countries. The Asian market will not get an impact as serious as the American aviation, right?

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 01:43:28 AM »
I think, right now, inflation/deflation of pax demand is a global thing, so it will effect everyone equally.  On the flipside, while certain routes had HUGE hits after 9/11, when you take the world as a cumulative whole, it mitigates the damages by spreading them equally over everyone.

The effect really isn't that big.  Not in real-life (for very long) and certainly not in AWS.

All it effectively did was knock back air traffic 2 years to 1999 levels.  In the grand scheme of this game and how fast time passes, that's extremely minimal and it ultimately impacts little.  It'll hover the same levels for 2002 and 2003, then skyrocket in 2004.

In the real-world, where margins are low single-digits, a drop of 10% in traffic is a big deal.  It's the difference between a profit and cash pouring out of the coffers.  And, of course, we saw the effects of that.

In a game where margins are 15, 20, even 30%; a 10% drop in traffic hits the bottom-line, for sure, but it's not sending airlines cowering into bankruptcy.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:46:00 AM by Sigma »

minerva

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 03:13:33 AM »
Sami -- maybe I missed this, but is 9/11 going to be modeled in AWS on for the exact same date in the game -- that is 11 Sept. 2001?  I ask because I don't think players should be allowed to 'plan' for this.  It would be more 'realistic' or at least a better semblance of reality if the actual date of the attacks were randomized (and set for the period before the real events). A surprise would be more uncomfortable and challenging for everyone. 

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 03:27:30 AM »
Demand isn't granular to the day in AWS, no you don't see a drop on a precise day.  I believe the initial drop occurs September 1 in-game, but, as I said, it really is a lot smaller than people think.

Eventually, like we get for fuel in some games, there will be demand models implemented that change over reality where sami can initiate a recession or whatever he'd like via varying 'modules'.  But, for now, demand is always based on real-world passenger figures.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 03:30:18 AM by Sigma »

Offline tacsniper

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:19 AM »
Will we see Europe flights being grounded for a week or so from the Volcanic eruption that happened a few  weeks ago?

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.