Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: fast start of some airlines...  (Read 1139 times)

Offline meiru

• Members
fast start of some airlines...
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
it's interesting to see how fast some airlines start... I think some are at least 6 weeks in front of me now... maybe my strategy is wrong :-) ... did you all lower the prices on your new routes first? ... or do you spend millions for marketing? ... I'm just wondering... it's not that I have a lot of problems... but, it takes more time...

DenisG

• Former member
Re: fast start of some airlines...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:51:12 PM »
I took a look and cannot see why you might not be satisfied with your growth so far. 9 a/c is pretty good. Newark is a heavily competed airport, as always. You have a number of routes where you already face fierce competition, that of course eats into your profits and loead factors; if you lowered your prices too far, it might reduce your cash generation significantly. Usually, when I enter big pax routes, I make sure I can cover the entire demand quite quickly with high frequencies; once I have 'secured' one route, I move on to the next, as I am currently doing at Hamburg, although that situation is not comparable, but my approach. No reason to be unhappy, so far you have been doing a very good job!
Denis

Grimvisage

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 07:52:25 PM »
I've been wondering the exact same thing. There's still so much I don't understand about how this game works. Of course it didn't help that I wasn't aware of how drastically the algorithms for calculating LF had changed in v1.2, so I didn't get my prices down (and thus my LFs and profits up) to an optimal level until a few weeks in. That put me behind my competitors noticeably. :( Also, I'm thinking that going with Airbus right out of the gate was a mistake. It's just too expensive to get new planes at a time in the game when you need them most. Boeing seems to be the more sensible choice to me now. Still... I'd love to know what tricks these guys in the top 10 know that I don't. :)

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »
Maybe I did not understand it right: Where are the Top 10 ahead, in what manner?
Denis

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:10:33 PM »
well, some airlines have 15 aircrafts now and even ordered up to 4 brand new of them... I don't know, where they got the money from to do that... but you're right, it's not, that I have a lot of troubles... as I said... I'm just wondering how they do that  ;)

Grimvisage

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:10:43 PM »
Dennis, when I said top 10, I didn't have any particular measurement in mind. I meant more like top 10 in an abstract sense, since I'm sure that it would be incredibly difficult to judge "overall" position in this game. Still, I think it's a valid question. Although having 20 Boeings/MDs/Airbuses/etc. doesn't necessarily mean a player will make a ton of money and dominate many routes, there's a good chance that he/she will, considering the fact that the player's choices thus far have been good enough to snag him/her 20 large or very large aircraft. (And upon checking the airline profiles of the top 10 largest fleets, they are indeed using those types of a/c.) So, the top 10 airlines in terms of fleet sizes are probably managed by very skilled players. Is it the case that because I have 3 a/c and another airline has 14 a/c that I am necessarily a less skilled player? Maybe not, but it would be nice to know what was different about our two situations and choices that caused our outcomes to be so different. I certainly wouldn't mind having 14 Airbuses and dominating a market, myself.

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:12:12 AM »
Ah ok. Well, sometimes it is simply luck at the beginning as well. If you have skilled competitors at your base airport or not. Some take on the fight early on, some do not and let each other dominate the routes. Also clicking the right time on the used market. I have been trying to find something that looks like an Airbus for 1,5 hours now and haven't seen an update on the Airburs segment at least. I believe the main difference is aggressiveness. Some players go ahead and order a bunch of old flying equipment, to get the routes and slots early. Some do it more patiently. At this early stage of the game, I would not derive any conclusions. After around 2 real weeks in MT2, the big boys that used to deliver an impressive race, have almost all left the game already; fleet comm. sitting on planes not able to fly due to slots etc. Wait a few days and let's see what is really strategic and what is more luck.
Denis

Grimvisage

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 12:40:36 AM »
Yes, I'm sure there is an element of luck involved. I have two serious competitors at my base airport, and although I was edging closer to the top, I'll be down again very soon b/c one of them has ordered two more B734s. I've got a used A313 incoming, but I doubt it will be enough to keep my market share position. Hah, and I just realized, I've got a C check in 17 days. You talked about getting to the used market at the right time. Well, I asked myself when I leased that a/c, are you sure this is a good idea? C check isn't far off. Sure, I replied, D check is a long way off, and I have to get this one because it's the only 322 left. Now I'm wondering if that was such a good idea. I'm not worried about being able to actually pay for it since I have a steady cash flow. It's just terribly inconvenient. Actually, I'm very particular about the condition of my a/c. In the first month or two, I gradually did extra maintenance on my A320s until they were ~100%, up from ~65%. I'm wondering if that was a good idea, too. I just hate delays and cancellations due to technical problems. Well, hopefully you're right and things will pan out.

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 04:12:56 PM »
Yeah that can be an issue with C-checks on the used market. But one needs to decide sometimes between taking the risk or loosing an opportunity. I hope it will work out for you; in case, take out a credit early on.

Generally, I would not recommend extra maintenance during the first game weeks early on; the magic barrier (gut feeling) seems to be 80% a/c condition. Everything above that will come continuously as A- and B-checks take care of that slowly anyway.

Don't worry about delays too much!  ;D  I am located in Hamburg this time and since I live here as well, I knew what I was up to: The weather conditions frequently lead to flight cancellations... That is something I can simply not avoid. But impressive, as the game engine differentiates between seasons.

Denis

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.